Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is the most silent focus system/lens ?

Default Re: Which is the most silent focus system/lens ?

Quote Originally Posted by baolong View Post
    Try the m4/3 system, it is much quieter as there is no mirror box
    From personal experience? My opinion of m4/3 is the shutter is just as loud, if not louder than like some of the newer Nikons on quiet mode.

However if it's about lens focusing, then it depends on the lens. Have to agree with that lenses like 14-140mm are super quiet.
    Last edited by wildcat; 4th January 2010 at 12:18 AM.

Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, iPhone, etc etc...

all got no sound focusing and some could shoot without shutter sound...

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    manual focus = no sound.

even if focus no sound, mirror slap very loud.. big fat deal!
    I second this.
    Using a DSLR, you won't be able to take a shot with silence.

Even if the lens don't produce sound while focusing, when you press on the shutter release button, there will be sound produced by the mirror slap (as mentioned by night86mare).

Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, iPhone, etc etc...

all got no sound focusing and some could shoot without shutter sound...
    Not all mobile phones won't have the shutter sound..
    My Nokia E-75 must have the shutter sound..
    Last edited by shaoken; 4th January 2010 at 12:18 PM.

What's the big deal about noise from focusing, when the mirror slap produces much louder noise lol.

I'm eagerly waiting for the rumoured Sony aps-c sensor, mirrorless camera with interchangable lens (hopefully with adapter to use alpha mount lenses). Mirrorless coupled with ssm will really be very quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by neech7 View Post
    To reduce the chances of the subject becoming aware that it is being photographed. E.g.: wildlife running/crawling/flying/swimming away, and humans 'stiffening up' (My hair got messy or not?)
    as it has been said, more sound is produced by the mirror slap than focussing. while the chance of the subject becoming aware that it is being photographed is undoubtably increased with noisy focus, i'm quite sure in precarious situations like wildlife photography, the animal notices you and not the camera first.....

in any case, SWD and USM and whatnot is not just about silent focus but fast focus yes?
    Olympian

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    What's the big deal about noise from focusing, when the mirror slap produces much louder noise lol.

I'm eagerly waiting for the rumoured Sony aps-c sensor, mirrorless camera with interchangable lens (hopefully with adapter to use alpha mount lenses). Mirrorless coupled with ssm will really be very quiet.
    Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    as it has been said, more sound is produced by the mirror slap than focussing. while the chance of the subject becoming aware that it is being photographed is undoubtably increased with noisy focus, i'm quite sure in precarious situations like wildlife photography, the animal notices you and not the camera first.....

in any case, SWD and USM and whatnot is not just about silent focus but fast focus yes?
    It is a big deal because the mirror slap comes AFTER achieving focus. That means you are able to achieve focus without alerting the subject and take the shot. Sure the mirror slap that comes after may scare you subject away but you've already got your shot.

No Lens is the so silent lens

most silent lens is a manual lens.
    no need to argue.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

TS is a private investigator ah? :P

If you want quiet, go for the mirrorless solutions like Panasonic G1 - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg1/

Maybe you first have to consider what brand you choose then you should choose the lens. No matter it's silent or not you have to use it , right?

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    From personal experience? My opinion of m4/3 is the shutter is just as loud, if not louder than like some of the newer Nikons on quiet mode.

However if it's about lens focusing, then it depends on the lens. Have to agree with that lenses like 14-140mm are super quiet.
    Yup, m4/3 will still have the shutter sound, softer than those with mirror but it's still there.

I'm not sure what system 14-140mm and 45-200mm use but it's dead silent when focusing. No feel too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12