Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Took the bus recently!

Default Re: Took the bus recently!

Most malls and shops in our western counter-part countries closes on weekends and only opens from Mondays to Fridays during office hours (with the exception of extended hours on one of the weekdays).

I'm wondering if we are going into first world country with third world mentality when we are accusing folks of not working on weekends.

Next, if we can whip and drive "foreign talents" to work on weekends, extended hours, unofficial add-on tasks but at the same time paying them grossly lower wages compared to the locals, would that translate to the employers' image as unjust, exploitive and cheap? How will that affect our products and services?

If the argument is on being cost competitive for survival, how do we explain that our western counter-parts have a year on year positive economic growth every year except during those of occasional recessions?

If employees' are in general grumpy and has low morale in their jobs, does it not suggest that the issue is not with all the employees but lie somewhere in the organisational policies such as welfare, coaching, mentoring and strategic employee motivation tools? Did the employers even bothered to investigate on the root causes of these issues?

It is easy to blame the locals and find excuses to hire cheaper slave-like "foreign talents" to do the rut. At the end of the day, everyone suffers; the talents will move on to other countries, new-comers from overseas will fill these vacancies with the same stepping stone mentality, working conditions for local employment continues to become hyper uncompetitive (which fails to attract true talents).

As the emerging countries around us catches up, we will continue to spiral down the path to hades with our general cost competitiveness strategem which will fail to stand up to other countries (eg. Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia & Indonesia) with no other strategem or resources nor breakthrough in innovation.

Is this what we truly want while blaming the locals?
    Last edited by eyes; 3rd January 2010 at 06:03 AM.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benji77 View Post
    Locals have the stigmata that a 'Bus Driver' means low pay, menial job with long hours. Partly true I say. They are now called 'Bus Captains' after an efford to raise their quality and job description.

The low pay is a stumbling block, especially if you intend to start/maintain a family.
    But a Chinese National would find the pay good, and the job easy compared to their jobs back home.

Look at our streets. Count the amount of foreigners you see...Restaurants, trains, shops...we are awash with working foreigners. Soon, the Singaporean will become a minority if we dont start screwing around more
    yea babe. thumbs up. u know its ironic? cause our government says we are importing FOREIGN TALENTS to IMPROVE THE STANDARDS OF LIVING FOR SINGAPORE. and note the talents ends up sweeping roads/ driving buses/ bought from neighbouring countries to play in the olympics for us.

wad a joke =.=

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    it is because the locals are bloody choosy when it comes to jobs. they think highly of themselves and jobs in the construction, transportation, F&B, etc... are not suitable for them.

that's why, hiring companies have to look elsewhere.
    well. its odd =.= my dad is a contractor and he INSISTS ON SINGAPOREAN WORKERS LOL. abeit the fact they are old like around 50-60, yet they get the job done way faster than me. and i'm 16 sadGASDHASDHASHDSHREBIPNR !@PIRN@. wth. i dun get it also. =.=

i think old singaporeans > young no brains prc big time.

on a more serious note.

one good question is tat are the FTs we are importing really FTs? i mean face it. they arent as skilled as us. lower wages so wad? i rather pay higher for better job than get a FT to do a sub-par version.

we are in a multi racial society. and what brings us together? english. its the only way we can communicate. whether we are chinese malay indian etc.

now u bring in FTs. in fact the latest reports from the singapore government puts it as 1 FT in every 4 ppl in singapore.

FTs are unable to speak english, seeing mostly are from the prc. how on earth are we gonna get stuff done when we are turning into china?

also, one more thing to note. PRCs have a totally different attitude compared to singapore. they arent as socially conscious of the people around them. they shout like its their home, they dun have a learning attitude, they think they very smart. dun believe just go to any hawker center/ coffee shop with prcs running it. quite different.

we are becoming the minority amongst singapore people already. if 1 in every 4 is a FT, over the years wad u think gonna happen?

seriously. the pro- FTs policies arent being supported by many of the singaporeans. but sadly we dun have a politic system as active as the US.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 3rd January 2010 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    we are in a multi racial society. and what brings us together? english. its the only way we can communicate. whether we are chinese malay indian etc.
    Amen to that....I have a maid who need to pass english test before she is approved to work here but why the double standard for some other

If they could speak English, you think they still want to come here and sweep roads?
    Those that can speak English will be doing your job.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by humanTORCH View Post
    Amen to that....I have a maid who need to pass english test before she is approved to work here but why the double standard for some other
    good point, but here on CS? write to the media

well. its odd =.= my dad is a contractor and he INSISTS ON SINGAPOREAN WORKERS LOL. abeit the fact they are old like around 50-60, yet they get the job done way faster than me. and i'm 16 sadGASDHASDHASHDSHREBIPNR !@PIRN@. wth. i dun get it also. =.=

i think old singaporeans > young no brains prc big time.

on a more serious note.

one good question is tat are the FTs we are importing really FTs? i mean face it. they arent as skilled as us. lower wages so wad? i rather pay higher for better job than get a FT to do a sub-par version.

now u bring in FTs. in fact the latest reports from the singapore government puts it as 1 FT in every 4 ppl in singapore.

FTs are unable to speak english, seeing mostly are from the prc. how on earth are we gonna get stuff done when we are turning into china?

also, one more thing to note. PRCs have a totally different attitude compared to singapore. they arent as socially conscious of the people around them. they shout like its their home, they dun have a learning attitude, they think they very smart. dun believe just go to any hawker center/ coffee shop with prcs running it. quite different.

we are becoming the minority amongst si ongapore people already. if 1 in every 4 is a FT, over the years wad u think gonna happen?

seriously. the pro- FTs policies arent being supported by many of the singaporeans. but sadly we dun have a politic system as active as the US.
    Hi 16 year old,

Are u going to be a bus driver? work in a coffeeshop? or an odd job labourer?
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP View Post
    Hi 16 year old,

Are u going to be a bus driver? work in a coffeeshop? or an odd job labourer?
    honestly? i'm gonna be einstein. and i'm freaking serious. i'm hoping to advanced theoretical physics in nus, doing the general field theory wahaha.

but now, I AM A ODD JOB LABOURER

EAT TAT

honestly? i'm gonna be einstein. and i'm freaking serious. i'm hoping to advanced theoretical physics in nus, doing the general field theory wahaha.

but now, I AM A ODD JOB LABOURER

EAT TAT
    If you are not going to become a bus driver, kopitiam tau chiu or an odd job labourer when you finish your studies, who then will fill these positions if we don't import workers from other countries?

If you cant even see this, how are you going to be einstein???

whenever i see a china man bus driver...i will try my best not to ask him for directions...almost kena smoke by one such driver yesterday

end up took a cab to school instead.

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    Most malls and shops in our western counter-part countries closes on weekends and only opens from Mondays to Fridays during office hours (with the exception of extended hours on one of the weekdays).

I'm wondering if we are going into first world country with third world mentality when we are accusing folks of not working on weekends.

Next, if we can whip and drive "foreign talents" to work on weekends, extended hours, unofficial add-on tasks but at the same time paying them grossly lower wages compared to the locals, would that translate to the employers' image as unjust, exploitive and cheap? How will that affect our products and services?

If the argument is on being cost competitive for survival, how do we explain that our western counter-parts have a year on year positive economic growth every year except during those of occasional recessions?

If employees' are in general grumpy and has low morale in their jobs, does it not suggest that the issue is not with all the employees but lie somewhere in the organisational policies such as welfare, coaching, mentoring and strategic employee motivation tools? Did the employers even bothered to investigate on the root causes of these issues?

It is easy to blame the locals and find excuses to hire cheaper slave-like "foreign talents" to do the rut. At the end of the day, everyone suffers; the talents will move on to other countries, new-comers from overseas will fill these vacancies with the same stepping stone mentality, working conditions for local employment continues to become hyper uncompetitive (which fails to attract true talents).

As the emerging countries around us catches up, we will continue to spiral down the path to hades with our general cost competitiveness strategem which will fail to stand up to other countries (eg. Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia & Indonesia) with no other strategem or resources nor breakthrough in innovation.

Is this what we truly want while blaming the locals?
    Kind of agree. Singapore is first-world but pay very low wages to lower rank workers. Foreigners are willing to come here to work because of the exchange rate. A $1000 dollars is nothing in Singapore but a lot in China.

We should not always blame on locals. Think about ourselves, are we willing to work for peanuts? $1000 can't even barely survive on our own, how to support a family with kids?

Part of globalisation that has been around for decades...Imagine australians and New Zealanders complaining about all the Asian students who study there, graduate and end up getting jobs there.

I guess the best way is to have some good skills, make yourself even more employable...go to other countries and be FT there!

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    The problem does not lie with the FT but the transport company which should have provided them with better training to handle passengers before putting them on the road.
    I experienced once a China bus driver refused to open the door for me while the bus was stopped completely in a red light queue. After signaling crazily for almost 20 secs, the driver reluctantly opened the door for me. I asked him why don't open door for me, he replied the bus have left the yellow box and the company trained them not to pick up passengers in cases like that.

The fact was, the front tyre of the bus was out of the yellow box, but the bus was only still a few meters away from the bus stop. The bus is in a 2 lane neighborhood road, not much traffic, red light, stationary not moving. First time in my 20 years of taking bus have I been refused boarding due to bus out of yellow box. Like that how? Too much training?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP View Post
    If you are not going to become a bus driver, kopitiam tau chiu or an odd job labourer when you finish your studies, who then will fill these positions if we don't import workers from other countries?

If you cant even see this, how are you going to be einstein???
    point being, importing ppl doesnt solve the problem in the long term run. u will still see singaporeans being unhappy abt stuff. one question, this may sound a lil offensive, but i hope u guys are mature enough to take it.

why is everyone assuming tat singaporeans do not want to take all this kind of jobs? not ALL singaporeans have a degree/master u realised? and without tat wad u wanna do? eg, i hope i dun offend anyone saying this, but wad abt students who are not so good at studies? they have to do this kind of jobs.

just because i'm not going to be, just because u have a richer family and u can afford to study and do well, doesnt mean others may u get wad i mean?:x singapore has a widening income gap. if we were to assume the trend tat higher income ---> more oppourtunities to studies and hence better jobs, its also alright to assume tat the lower end, which ARE plentiful i assure u, do have to do ur odd labourer and stuff. dun look down on them. if ppl are desperate, they need to do. over importing foreigners, and WE DO IMPORT A LOT, 1 in every 4 is a foreigner, we are actually making it harder for ppl to get jobs. dun tell me all 1 in 4 actually do be ur odd job labourer. cause if it does it would mean almost no singaporeans in the lower end jobs. and as we all know, not all singaporeans have wad it takes to do big stuff.

our current 5 mil ppl, more than 1 mil is foreigners. and tat is a big number. even if we need ppl to do ur coffeeshop stuff, we would want them to at least be english educated isnt it? why would u want a PRC who cant communicate in english to do this? our malay/ indian/ eurasian friends dun need eat already is it?
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 5th January 2010 at 04:22 PM.

wow we (singaporeans) can really complain about anything under the sun.

TVMobile cannot make it coz we can't even hear the sound in the bus. =_="""

Actually they cannot make it becoz people nowadays own technology products for their own entertainment.
    Canon EOS 500D | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non vc
    and the Kop sings, "You'll never walk alone"

Wink Re: Took the bus recently!

point being, importing ppl doesnt solve the problem in the long term run. u will still see singaporeans being unhappy abt stuff. one question, this may sound a lil offensive, but i hope u guys are mature enough to take it.

why is everyone assuming tat singaporeans do not want to take all this kind of jobs? not ALL singaporeans have a degree/master u realised? and without tat wad u wanna do? eg, i hope i dun offend anyone saying this, but wad abt students who are not so good at studies? they have to do this kind of jobs.

just because i'm not going to be, just because u have a richer family and u can afford to study and do well, doesnt mean others may u get wad i mean?:x singapore has a widening income gap. if we were to assume the trend tat higher income ---> more oppourtunities to studies and hence better jobs, its also alright to assume tat the lower end, which ARE plentiful i assure u, do have to do ur odd labourer and stuff. dun look down on them. if ppl are desperate, they need to do. over importing foreigners, and WE DO IMPORT A LOT, 1 in every 4 is a foreigner, we are actually making it harder for ppl to get jobs. dun tell me all 1 in 4 actually do be ur odd job labourer. cause if it does it would mean almost no singaporeans in the lower end jobs. and as we all know, not all singaporeans have wad it takes to do big stuff.

our current 5 mil ppl, more than 1 mil is foreigners. and tat is a big number. even if we need ppl to do ur coffeeshop stuff, we would want them to at least be english educated isnt it? why would u want a PRC who cant communicate in english to do this? our malay/ indian/ eurasian friends dun need eat already is it?
    It's a case of "I don't want to do the dirty job but I assume that there will always be people who will do it", isn't it? How many of your classmates and friends actually envision becoming a bus driver? or even a kopitiam tau chiu?

Ahem.. If they can speak good English and are as well educated as you, do you think they will want to leave their loved ones and come all the way to Singapore and work in a kopitiam?? It's time to grow up and stop being a xenophobe.. Embrace globalisation!
    Last edited by GDSNP; 5th January 2010 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    The fact was, the front tyre of the bus was out of the yellow box, but the bus was only still a few meters away from the bus stop. The bus is in a 2 lane neighborhood road, not much traffic, red light, stationary not moving. First time in my 20 years of taking bus have I been refused boarding due to bus out of yellow box. Like that how? Too much training?
    i think the idea is that they aren't supposed to pick up or let passengers disembark when they are in yellow box.

you should know what the traffic rules are.

i guess the guy just can't think outside the box.. but in the first place, he shouldn't be in the yellow box. but then again, in singapore, no one gives a damn about yellow box unless there is mata around.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i think the idea is that they aren't supposed to pick up or let passengers disembark when they are in yellow box.

you should know what the traffic rules are.

i guess the guy just can't think outside the box.. but in the first place, he shouldn't be in the yellow box. but then again, in singapore, no one gives a damn about yellow box unless there is mata around.
    i think the yellow box is the bus stop yellow box, not the yellow box with cross inside...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    i think the yellow box is the bus stop yellow box, not the yellow box with cross inside...
    oh..... oh yeah, that makes sense.. if not the bus driver has to STOP INSIDE YELLOW BOX

then die already.

that yellow bus box, i don't know what rule..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast