Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Further away

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    577

    Default Further away

    Dear photographers & critics,

    This is a photo I took on the 1st day of 2010. I'm trying to achieve a certain vintage look to this photo and at the same time to evoke some feelings of a lone cyclist moving further away from here into the long road ahead.



    My own impression of the photo is one of melancholy, leaving everything behind but at the same time hopeful because he's cycling ahead. Perhaps heading towards the challenge.

    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    What kind of feelings does it evoke in you?

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I'm trying to achieve 2 things - one is to understand what feelings are present when you see this photo. And secondly to get the old vintage-y feel of very old forgotten photographs.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Physically i was pretty tired, walking under the hot sun is tiring. Emotions? Wasn't feeling particularly emotional as it was "snap" at the spur of the moment.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    See write-up above.

    Thanks for looking and constructive suggestions very much welcomed. Technically... there's no technique here as you can see that everything is out of focus and sorta dreamy. Was using a 50/f1.7 prime lens.
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Far East
    Posts
    1,466

    Default Re: Further away

    There's nothing wrong story-wise, plus this is something I would take a snap of. A textbook rules-of-third composition, one might say.

    But the pic can be improved by cropping tighter to get rid of the whitewash sky and place the cyclist at precise top left third. A 16:9 crop might help too.

    As for vintage treatment, the pic feels flat unfortunately. I'd go B/W or emphasize on texture. Might take a shot at it in the next few days or so if you don't mind.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: Further away

    Hello Baracus, thanks for the pointers and advice. Will do something about it tonight.

    But when you say flat... do you mean low contrast or perhaps something else. I'll start off with the crop and see how it goes.
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

  4. #4

    Default Re: Further away

    My few cents
    Composition is ok.
    I find the B/W too flat (lack of contrast). Maybe thats because you want a dreamy feel.
    My preference would be sharpness somewhere as well. Either a fully sharp all the way type shot (ie. landscape style), of a selectively sharp type shot (obviously sharp at the cyclist in the distance). Even a sharp portion on the further portion of the picture from cyclist and beyond would be my preference. The lack of sharpness takes away a focal point imho.


    hope it helps.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Further away

    the cyclist is a bit too small/far away and i thought it was an insignificant part of the background until i read your caption that he's supposed to be the key subject.
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: Further away

    Thanks pinholecam and elavan. Will keep your pointers in mind. Still trying to figure out where to go with photography instead of the usual LBA and getting the next best camera and lenses.

    Will experiment with sharpness, composition & cropping, and pay more attention to the contrast.
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Far East
    Posts
    1,466

    Default Re: Further away

    Quote Originally Posted by sebianos View Post
    Hello Baracus, thanks for the pointers and advice. Will do something about it tonight.

    But when you say flat... do you mean low contrast or perhaps something else. I'll start off with the crop and see how it goes.
    Low contrast. I like my colours saturated and B/W contrasty.

    Here's my edited take on the Sepia + vintage look. I could burn the edges more or add a few wrinkle/tear marks for more texture.

    I'll take it down by end of the week or when you say so.

    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Further away

    Quote Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
    Low contrast. I like my colours saturated and B/W contrasty.

    Here's my edited take on the Sepia + vintage look. I could burn the edges more or add a few wrinkle/tear marks for more texture.

    I'll take it down by end of the week or when you say so.

    nice! more vintage.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Further away

    sebianos - this is my suggestion...

    try capturing the cyclist closer to you in motion blur. so that the path down the road looks longer for him. right now your pic doesn't tell that story. capturing it in motion blur makes it more interesting. add on baracus vintage look and you will have a kick-ass picture!!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Further away

    the idea is great, the leading line use is great

    the problem here, as elavan points out, lies with what is termed as "weight" in photography

    other than arrangement of elements, the amount of space an element takes up can make a huge difference in the photograph. the cyclist just doesn't take up enough space in the photograph - firstly, you cannot discern what he is at first glance, and then even looking closer you don't make out much. you can guess it is a cyclist though, i guess.

    here, other than the oof things, i like the picture as is.. though for personal preferences i might increase contrast. if you are going for "old film" look then what baracus has done seems good enough for me.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: Further away

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the problem here, as elavan points out, lies with what is termed as "weight" in photography
    Thanks, night86mare. You gave me food for thought, will look into weight, balancing of elements now.

    Baracus, Elavan, Pokiemon - thanks for the pointers. Well until the next critique, take care. Back to shooting now
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

  12. #12

    Default Re: Further away

    Quote Originally Posted by sebianos View Post
    Dear photographers & critics,

    This is a photo I took on the 1st day of 2010. I'm trying to achieve a certain vintage look to this photo and at the same time to evoke some feelings of a lone cyclist moving further away from here into the long road ahead.



    My own impression of the photo is one of melancholy, leaving everything behind but at the same time hopeful because he's cycling ahead. Perhaps heading towards the challenge.

    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    What kind of feelings does it evoke in you?

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I'm trying to achieve 2 things - one is to understand what feelings are present when you see this photo. And secondly to get the old vintage-y feel of very old forgotten photographs.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Physically i was pretty tired, walking under the hot sun is tiring. Emotions? Wasn't feeling particularly emotional as it was "snap" at the spur of the moment.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    See write-up above.

    Thanks for looking and constructive suggestions very much welcomed. Technically... there's no technique here as you can see that everything is out of focus and sorta dreamy. Was using a 50/f1.7 prime lens.

    It will be good if you will add a bit of texture in the photo and a bit of noise. darken the edges a bit. boost the tone of your sepia. increase your red channel a bit. dodge and burn a bit. pit a nice vintage looking border.

    this is what i do when im doing some vintage effect.


  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: Further away

    That's a fantastic vintage photo.

    Thanks for the tips, did you achieve the effect using photoshop? It's time to practise more post-processing. I appreciate your comments. KUDOS !!!
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

  14. #14

    Default Re: Further away

    Quote Originally Posted by sebianos View Post
    That's a fantastic vintage photo.

    Thanks for the tips, did you achieve the effect using photoshop? It's time to practise more post-processing. I appreciate your comments. KUDOS !!!
    yes this is all done in CS4 and CR (camera raw).

    when u go out just try to shoot some textured walls if you happen to see one and save them in your laptop you can use them one day.. that i guarantee.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: Further away

    Quote Originally Posted by laposto View Post
    yes this is all done in CS4 and CR (camera raw).

    when u go out just try to shoot some textured walls if you happen to see one and save them in your laptop you can use them one day.. that i guarantee.
    Thanks again, laposto. I have some textured wall already except they are all taken at an angle not straighton 2D type. Will keep an eye out for those textures from now on.
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

  16. #16

    Default Re: Further away

    Quote Originally Posted by sebianos View Post
    Thanks again, laposto. I have some textured wall already except they are all taken at an angle not straighton 2D type. Will keep an eye out for those textures from now on.
    sounds good. try some cracks on the wall or food stains on a white table or whatever stain on the tiled floor

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •