Thread: What do you want from life?

Unhappy What do you want from life?

We have heard of ppl who gave up their 6-digit salary and do social work, climb mountains, open shop, etc coz there were not happy, and poor ppl who work like mad juz to make more $$$ so that they believe they can only be happy with more $$$. We have ppl who already have 5 or 6 Cs in life and yet still feel incomplete, and ppl who have "a good family" and yet still feel that they miss something. What do we actually want from life?

What do YOU want from life, besides the best of health and sound mind?

whatever that can make me happy.....?

well, nothing is perfect, and i'm always prepared for setbacks...

I want to climb mountains, set up a tea house in the Himalayas, have lodges in tasmania, patagonia, dubai, have my own chartered aircraft, have a nice job with no stress, and a happy family.

and lots of money......

Default Happy?

Looking thru the viewfinder and got this feeling in your stomach and cold feet and hands, getting nervous and know that this is the moment.
    The moment U press the shutter and have this feeling that U have got it.

Yes, this must be how our nunters felt when they see a game.
    Now this is what life is about, getting more of these *MOMENT*.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by lauLEE
    We have heard of ppl who gave up their 6-digit salary and do social work, climb mountains, open shop, etc coz there were not happy, and poor ppl who work like mad juz to make more $$$ so that they believe they can only be happy with more $$$. We have ppl who already have 5 or 6 Cs in life and yet still feel incomplete, and ppl who have "a good family" and yet still feel that they miss something. What do we actually want from life?

What do YOU want from life, besides the best of health and sound mind?
    inner peace though i wouldnt mind a 6 figure salary to go along with it. then i can go grab a 1D Mk II

I want my 5 Fs!

(1) Friends
    (2) Families
    (3) Fit Body
    (4) Freaking lot of Money
    (5) Fotographie

Last edited by AJ23; 23rd February 2004 at 11:21 AM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Stefen
    I want to climb mountains, set up a tea house in the Himalayas, have lodges in tasmania, patagonia, dubai, have my own chartered aircraft, have a nice job with no stress, and a happy family.

and lots of money......
    hahaha .... typical Singaporean having daydream?

day dream, and you will get halfway there...

thats why have big dreams, not small ones..

actually what everyone want in life is more or less the same... such as $, peace, health, happiness, family and etc..

too bad, in this realistic and imperfect world that we lived in... we cant have everything

while we gain some new things, we tend to lose some other things too

just my five cents thought. hehe

I recently left a job making very good money to stay around the house more (I traveled a lot). My then 3 year old daughter didn't want anything to do with me, so I had to change. I'm happier now.
    I suppose out of life, I want to teach my children to be responsible adults. That's my main job now

been thru many times being vv poor, quarrelled with my sister/father/mother many many times...been thru many many times vv dejected n low morale..but now everything is smoothening out and looking good for real at last...now my main dream is to complete the ironman under 18hours b4 i grow old n die away ^_^

Default Answer from old teaching?

The great wisdom of life

For ages, the general belief has been:
    “Man must show that he is strong and no pliant; smart and not dull.”
    But there appears in Chinese history a man named Lao Zi who is different from the rest.

Lao Zi: “Man must show that he is pliant and not tough. Man must appear to be guideless and not shrewd. Man must have no motives and no desires; be selfless and self-effacing, pure-minded and natural…”

Generally people believe that it is good to be tough.

Lao Zi: “That which is hard is brittle; it breaks easily. That which is pliant endures.”
    For example, what is the hardest thing in your body? What is the softest?

General people believe teeth are the hardest and tongue is the softest!

Lao Zi:
    “You see, at my age my teeth have all gone yet my tongue is still perfect.”

“ Isn’t the big tree stronger than the grass? When the typhoon comes, the big tree is uprooted, yet the little grass remains unscathed.”

“ The wind has no body or shape, yet it can bring down buildings and trees. Water can take any shape. It can penetrate crevices and mould mountains.”

“ Does this not clearly show that what is tough may not necessarily be strong and that what is soft is actually strong!”

“Most people think it is good to be smart but the wisest man appears to be like a fool.”

“A rich man usually does not divulge his wealth.”

“On the contrary, a person who wears gold rings on all fingers, has a mouthful of gold teeth and wears gold necklaces may have an empty house.”

“If you want to live rightly, you must gather all your mental and physical energy and not fritter it away in irrelevant activities.”

“A person must not pretend to be wise in all things and to be successful in all undertakings. Superficial knowledge ends in failure in undertakings.”

Lao Zi believes that to be pliant is to be humble and uncompetitive; to be wise and know the essence of life. A simple mind can avoid vanity. Everything is in accordance with nature.

Lao Zi’s philosophy is all-embracing, extensive and eternal. It endures in either favourable or unfavourable circumstances. In meeting obstacles, it will not falter but moves around them and proceeds on.

The danger of overweening success

Water will overflow if poured until it reaches the brim.
    As long as a knife is sharp enough, do not sharpen it any more.
    If it is too sharp, it will break easily.
    A person who has too many valuables arouses envy and attracts the attention of criminals.
    This abundance of wealth will cause him to lead a dissolute life until at last all his wealth is squandered away.
    To be successful in life one has to be upright. This fits into law of nature.
    It’s just like creation, in which you find all the living things. Creation is without selfish motives; it is wholesome and quietly accomplished.

Entrust the world to the selfless person

People of the world take reputation and gain too seriously so much so that both praise and insult will cause them to become agitated.
    Living a frightened existence because of the fear of disasters. Why?
    In the eyes of people, high station is considered noble; it makes them feel a cut above others. Therefore there is fear that losing it will bring distress.
    Insults are considered lowly. One feels ashamed when being insulted. So people are afraid of being insulted and humiliated.
    We have big troubles because we are always thinking in terms of self-interest.
    If you have no ego, will you suffer calamities?
    Thus if a person is selfless, the world may be entrusted to his care.
    Man must be unselfish and selfless. If man can put aside the thoughts of life and death, all insults and favours will not move him and fear will not exist.

The rhythm of life

He who is to be made to dwindle in power must first be caused to expand.
    He who is to be weakened must be made strong.
    He who is to be laid low must first be exalted to power.
    He who is to be taken away from must first be given.
    The meek will overcome the tough. This is the natural law.
    Fish can never leave water; once they are out of water, they would die.
    To be meek is the basis of ruling a country. By not applying this method, a country would be doomed.
    The rule of force and punishments are deadly things that must not be imposed on the populace.
    The situation will change for the worse when it reaches its extremity. The powerful becoming weak is an unalterable fact since time immemorial.

The virtue of contentment

Which is more precious, honour or life?
    Which is more valuable, possessions or life?
    Which is worst – to have reputation and wealth or loss of life?
    So to crave too much for reputation, you would have to pay a high price.
    To hoard too much wealth would be to incur serious loss.
    To be contented with what you have, you would not suffer humiliation. To be able to stop at the right time, no danger would befall you.
    It is better to cherish our bodies and not pursue fame and gains excessively. It is not worthwhile to gain honour and wealth at the expense of your life.

The preservation of life

About one-third of the people can live a long life.
    About one-third of the people die young.
    Those who can live a long life but die prematurely through their own faults also make up about one-third.

Why is this so?
    Because they are treated too well and they over-indulge in enjoyment.
    It is said that a person who know how to safeguard his life would never be attacked by rhinoceroses and tigers while they walking in the deep jungle.
    In war, he would not be wounded by weapons.
    A rhinoceros may be fierce, but it is unable to use its horns on him.
    A tiger may be fierce and strong, but it cannot put its claws on him.
    They may have the sharpest weapons, but the soldiers are not able to use these weapons to harm him.

What are the reasons?!
    Because a person who knows how to live a proper life would never go a place where he is risk of being killed.

In our daily life, there are uncountable agents of destruction, such as sexual temptation, the lure of money, squandering of wealth, debauchery, and other evil deeds. If we are not cautious even for a moment, disaster will befall us. If we can maintain a calm and steady mind, behave properly and carefully and do not compete to be the winner, no harm will befall us.
    Last edited by whoelse; 25th February 2004 at 12:11 PM.

Default Wow

Believe me, I read thru the long reply from whoelse and today will pass well for me.

Thank You.

Perhaps I can share a little with all about my move.

I guess I'm one of those who gave up a SGD$3K/mth regular salaried job to settle for an inconsistent-income current job as a fulltime freelance graphic designer/ photographer.

The move was not really an irrational one but more of fulfiling a inner sense for satisfaction. I guess at my previous field of work, it's too statutory and too rigid where it's rules and red tape and none of your talents can be really fully maximised despite the avenues. The only way to go far is to be of higher educated while those with minimum, stays bottom.

Yes, of coz I was chided and discouraged by the many others initially who can't understand the point of my job switch (moreover when the economy is so bad), why not the forbearance to grit out the nittey gritty of the everyday norm of the society ie to say: if it's like that; it's like that. Just close one eye to it. Afterall, the amount of $ I'm getting in my previous job should be suffice to make up for all the things lost, or so they thought.

Somewhat, I have to answer to myself, my own aspiration. It's not really my aspiration to be a photographer but it's more of the self-satisfaction that I get when I accomplished an assignment with 100% dedication to the job, fuifulment of the client's requirements with my own abilities and not some mediocre standardisation of work process where your own abilities count for nothing: just follow the order from A-Z.

Even though I may be earning less now but the job satisfaction of running my own business far compensated for the loss of material wants. Maybe it's idealistic for me to say all these, as some may think, but to each his own. I'm walking my path, the way I want

Cheerz!!

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    Perhaps I can share a little with all about my move.

I guess I'm one of those who gave up a SGD$3K/mth regular salaried job to settle for an inconsistent-income current job as a fulltime freelance graphic designer/ photographer.

The move was not really an irrational one but more of fulfiling a inner sense for satisfaction. I guess at my previous field of work, it's too statutory and too rigid where it's rules and red tape and none of your talents can be really fully maximised despite the avenues. The only way to go far is to be of higher educated while those with minimum, stays bottom.

Yes, of coz I was chided and discouraged by the many others initially who can't understand the point of my job switch (moreover when the economy is so bad), why not the forbearance to grit out the nittey gritty of the everyday norm of the society ie to say: if it's like that; it's like that. Just close one eye to it. Afterall, the amount of $ I'm getting in my previous job should be suffice to make up for all the things lost, or so they thought.

Somewhat, I have to answer to myself, my own aspiration. It's not really my aspiration to be a photographer but it's more of the self-satisfaction that I get when I accomplished an assignment with 100% dedication to the job, fuifulment of the client's requirements with my own abilities and not some mediocre standardisation of work process where your own abilities count for nothing: just follow the order from A-Z.

Even though I may be earning less now but the job satisfaction of running my own business far compensated for the loss of material wants. Maybe it's idealistic for me to say all these, as some may think, but to each his own. I'm walking my path, the way I want

Cheerz!!

woa! kudos to u.. I guess start-up a biz will be difficult at first, so u need time to build up yr reputation. Also, since u are boss now, u dun have to suffer anyone's temper. (just dun bully yr staff! hehe)

Quote Originally Posted by dampeoples
    I recently left a job making very good money to stay around the house more (I traveled a lot). My then 3 year old daughter didn't want anything to do with me, so I had to change. I'm happier now.
    I suppose out of life, I want to teach my children to be responsible adults. That's my main job now

Now I know that Iam not alone. I used to run 2 businesses and returned home 8am in the morning, seven days a week. My 14 months old son will cry when I hold him as if I am some stranger. So give up one of the businesses and Iam much happier now. After a long thought, I realized that no use piling up a mountain of money if my loved ones are unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by ekoswara
    Now I know that Iam not alone. I used to run 2 businesses and returned home 8am in the morning, seven days a week. My 14 months old son will cry when I hold him as if I am some stranger. So give up one of the businesses and Iam much happier now. After a long thought, I realized that no use piling up a mountain of money if my loved ones are unhappy.
    wow steady man, good choice ,
    but it would be good to have a mountain of money and loved ones happy,

for me the priority atm is my family also, wife is expecting my bb girl plus my little boy, quite a toll on my energy and $$. but this couple of years is prob the best few years of my life, very fulfilling something which i think working and studying is not able satisfy me.....