View Poll Results: IF guilty, is Dr Silviu Ionescu immune from Singapore's criminal laws

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 54.39%
  • No

23 40.35%
  • I dont really care after all it was just a hit-and-run accident leaving one dead

2 3.51%
  • Who is Dr Silviu Ionescu?

1 1.75%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Thread: From Romania with love: The Great Escape by Dr Silviu Ionescu

Default Re: From Romania with love: The Great Escape by Dr Silviu Ionescu

Quote Originally Posted by MacroMarlin View Post
    Well, at least we have realised one thing. The kind of respect we get by some countries, looking at the thrashy, coward, ungentleman, shrewed 'Dips.' they had been sending over....
    this i have to dis-agree, its human nature to run away (if have the "means" & $$) in such cases, diplomat or not.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    this i have to dis-agree, its human nature to run away (if have the "means" & $$) in such cases, diplomat or not.
    I will understand if he belongs to the current youthful younger generation, but he is not, he should belong to the earlier (or older) generation, who are supposedly wiser and more matured.

If he does not have the balls to stand up for his mistakes, then what kind of 'honourable' character is that?

Unlike people who may be facing capital punishment, with the political immunity that he has, even for drink driving and killed someone, most likely he will only get a very heavy fine and go back to where he comes from.....

running away is NOT 'human nature', it is cowardice!
    Last edited by MacroMarlin; 25th February 2010 at 01:20 PM.
    What I really missed most, is my first SLR. An Olympus OM2 with the Zuiko 35mm f/1.4, back in 1982!

If he does not have the balls to stand up for his mistakes, then what kind of 'honourable' character is that?

He is a really "slippery" character.

No wonder he was sent here as a diplomat.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

Unlike people who may be facing capital punishment, with the political immunity that he has, even for drink driving and killed someone, most likely he will only get a very heavy fine and go back to where he comes from.....
    You're mistaken. Either you have immunity or you don't. If you do, the courts can't touch you. If you give it up, the courts will not pull their punches.

Who is so stupid as to give it up? You watch Survivor, does anyone give up their immunity?

The gov will apply to waive immunity. next question is how to bring him back as we have no extradition treaty between romania and singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    The gov will apply to waive immunity. next question is how to bring him back as we have no extradition treaty between romania and singapore.
    Dr. Silviu Ionescu had been suspended from duties by the Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs as such diplomatic immunity no longer apply.

The great escapee of Singapore is still being held in Malaysia even with an ongoing extradition treaty between Singapore and Malaysia.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Anyway why don't the Lee family sue him instead for defaming Singapore which is normally what they does best?
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Don't think he will come to Singapore, even if he does, wonder any special deal/arrangement will be made.
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_495372.html

FORMER Romanian diplomat Silviu Ionescu should return to Singapore to attend a coroner's inquiry into the death of a hit-and-run victim as it is 'in his interest' to do so, said a Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman on Friday.
    He can can then put his version before the Coroner at the inquest into Mr Tong Kok Wai's death or appoint a lawyer here to represent him.
    The MFA comments followed Thursday's remarks by Dr Ionescu, the former chare di'affaires of the Romanian Embassy here, that he is unlikely to come back to Singapore after reading reports that he was a suspect.
    He has firmly denied involvement in the Dec 15 accident in Bukit Panjang which killed Mr Tong and left two men injured. Police investigations revealed that he was the driver of the car at the time of the two accident.
    In remarks to The Straits Times on Thursday, a defiant Dr Ionescu said: 'I read in newspapers that prosecutors (in Singapore) were accusing me long before they had the right to. They should have done a preliminary inquiry first. It was clearly a sign that I shouldn't come back.'
    Responding, the MFA spokesman said on Friday the ministry was puzzled by Dr Ionescu's comments. He pointed out that no charges have been made and no judgement has been passed on Dr Ionescu. The Coroner's inquiry, to be held from March 3 to 10 into Mr Tong's death, 'is not a criminal trial' but simply to 'ascertain the facts and circumstances of the death'.
    'As we have said many times, if Dr Ionescu was not the driver as he claims, then he should take the opportunity to attend the inquiry to give his account of the events and pose questions to the witnesses, in order that the true circumstances surrounding the accidents may be determined,' said the spokesman.
    'Singapore's legal system is well known internationally for its integrity and transparency. The coroner will make a finding based on the evidence presented before him.'
    The spokesman added that MFA has sought the assistance of the Romanian Embassy to request Dr Ionescu's return to to attend the coroner's inquiry as an 'interested person and not as a potential defendant'.
    'The Public Prosecutor has not decided whether it is appropriate to charge Dr Ionescu for any offences. The decision will be taken only after all the facts have been clarified at the Coroner's Inquiry,' stressed the spokeman. 'If the Coroner rules that Dr Ionescu was not the driver, no charges against him will be made.
    'For this reason, it is in Dr Ionescu's interest to return to Singapore to put his version before the Coroner or to appoint a lawyer in Singapore to do so on his behalf.'
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Dr. Silviu Ionescu had been suspended from duties by the Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs as such diplomatic immunity no longer apply.

The great escapee of Singapore is still being held in Malaysia even with an ongoing extradition treaty between Singapore and Malaysia.
    You're mistaken there. Immunity for past actions doesn't cease just because you are suspended or no longer a diplomat.

now that he is not coming to the coroner's inquiry, how than can the case proceed? no conclusion can be made without hearing both sides.

Bah. This is one of the most corrupted countries in the EU. Should we expect any less?

now that he is not coming to the coroner's inquiry, how than can the case proceed? no conclusion can be made without hearing both sides.
    This is an inquiry and he's given the opportunity to question or call his own witness. The purpose is to listen to facts presented so as to see if further actions are needed. Should he decline to attend the inquiry or appoint a lawyer to attend on his behalf, than it is his choice to keep quiet at this point.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

If let's say he is charged and found guilty in absentia, can he still be extradited to Singapore once he left Romania for another country that has an extradition agreement with Singapore? Provided there is a warrant sent out for his arrest through Interpol?

HS

And as far as I understood Diplomatic Immunity, the Immunity only covers him when on duty for the scope of work he was suppose to do as a diplomat. If they can prove going to that club/karaoke/bar on that particular night was not part and parcel of his job, then the immunity is not covering him????

HS

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    If let's say he is charged and found guilty in absentia, can he still be extradited to Singapore once he left Romania for another country that has an extradition agreement with Singapore? Provided there is a warrant sent out for his arrest through Interpol?

HS
    First SG Gov have to ask for waiver of immunity during the time of the event happening and the court case. If that is granted, and there is a warrant sent out for his arrest through Interpol, I would think that he'll be arrest and extradited to SG if we have such arrangement.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    First SG Gov have to ask for waiver of immunity during the time of the event happening and the court case. If that is granted, and there is a warrant sent out for his arrest through Interpol, I would think that he'll be arrest and extradited to SG if we have such arrangement.
    Well, when all else fails to bring this creep to justice... there's always the "Mossad style" of justice I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    This is an inquiry and he's given the opportunity to question or call his own witness. The purpose is to listen to facts presented so as to see if further actions are needed. Should he decline to attend the inquiry or appoint a lawyer to attend on his behalf, than it is his choice to keep quiet at this point.
    so, if he choose to keep quiet at this point, can the case be continue? if so, hyper-statiscally does he still has the right to open his mouth should he be successfully, be legal means, bring to Singapore's court? or he has to appeal to high court, than he can have his say, but is there a problem in doing so? does what he says that that point counts?

latest from channel 8 news, he was drinking in afew nightspots before the accident, not just 1 nightspot.

also, he said he will give $$ compensation to the victim / family, but that doesnt means he admit he is guilty & he will not be coming to Singapore's Court.

so, if he choose to keep quiet at this point, can the case be continue? if so, hyper-statiscally does he still has the right to open his mouth should he be successfully, be legal means, bring to Singapore's court? or he has to appeal to high court, than he can have his say, but is there a problem in doing so? does what he says that that point counts?
    At this point in time? Well, there is no case yet, just a coroner's inquiry. If this goes to court and he chose not to appear either in person or by his lawyer, the case will proceed in his absent. If he's convicted, there will be a warrent for his arrest. If he wants to appeal, than he'll have to go through the legal procedures which means he'll either have to appear or engage a lawyer to represent him and, yes, what he say will count at the appeal.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast