Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: About Copyrighted music !?

  1. #1
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Cool About Copyrighted music !?

    Does using a particular song as your ringtone violates it? how are they going to enforce it if it does? now that they are going after those couples who are using these in their wedding montages.

    A general query.

    ../azul123

  2. #2
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: About Copyrighted music !?

    A ringtone is less than 30s so it should be part of a song... me I am using a baby laugh recording as my ringtone. I wanted to ask this bcos many people uses some part of a song as their ringtone...

    So what's next?

    ../azul123

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: About Copyrighted music !?

    Next time pay for life performance. I rather pay real singer than pay that amound of money for a recorded playback.

  4. #4
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: About Copyrighted music !?

    Wedding montages that's clear which is no no, what about Ringtones? are they going after that next.. what? even if it is a <30s clip?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: About Copyrighted music !?

    Azul:

    The copyright laws are very clear and it's been accepted in the music industry for years that any unauthorised reproduction of a song that has copyright on it is a violation of copyright, regardless of the length of the clip. 3 seconds or 3 minutes, theft is theft. That includes re-recording the song, for example making a midi file from it. The accepted standard is that as long as 7 out of 8 notes are identical it's not a copyright infringement. (it might be 5 out of 6, memory is a bit shakey here).

    Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Y
    Imagine a freelance photographer who accepts $300 for wedding, tried to be nice did 4 songs recording for two montages.

    The fine will cost him thousands and his $300 can't even pay for interest.

    Copyright law shd be respected just like we take pride in our photos whether commercial or for hobby.
    The use of music that is copyright is theft, pure and simple. CS'ers all bounce up and down whinging and whining when someone steals one of your images for whatever purpose. It's 100 times worse when a theft is made for financial gain without proper recompense being made.

    I have no sympathy for any photographer who gets pinched stealing music and copyrighted material. It's commercial theft and deserves massive fines. Once you accept money for a job you are in the commercial realm and deserve to be treated as such if you steal from others.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  6. #6
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: About Copyrighted music !?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Azul:

    The copyright laws are very clear and it's been accepted in the music industry for years that any unauthorised reproduction of a song that has copyright on it is a violation of copyright, regardless of the length of the clip. 3 seconds or 3 minutes, theft is theft. That includes re-recording the song, for example making a midi file from it. The accepted standard is that as long as 7 out of 8 notes are identical it's not a copyright infringement. (it might be 5 out of 6, memory is a bit shakey here).



    The use of music that is copyright is theft, pure and simple. CS'ers all bounce up and down whinging and whining when someone steals one of your images for whatever purpose. It's 100 times worse when a theft is made for financial gain without proper recompense being made.

    I have no sympathy for any photographer who gets pinched stealing music and copyrighted material. It's commercial theft and deserves massive fines. Once you accept money for a job you are in the commercial realm and deserve to be treated as such if you steal from others.
    I have no qualms about what you wrote in fact I concur... now how are they going to enforce it is the point here... almost every ring tone I hear are "stolen".

    I asked my son about this and he said Nokia has this free download and they turned the mp3 file as ringtone, now is that legal or we are in grey area?

    ../azul123

  7. #7
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: About Copyrighted music !?

    Or maybe the their phone is using mp3 as ringtone without any changes or manipulation necessary I dunno the specifics.

    ../azul123

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: About Copyrighted music !?

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    I have no qualms about what you wrote in fact I concur... now how are they going to enforce it is the point here... almost every ring tone I hear are "stolen".

    I asked my son about this and he said Nokia has this free download and they turned the mp3 file as ringtone, now is that legal or we are in grey area?

    ../azul123
    I'd expect Nokia or any of the major phone companies or manufacturers to have done a blanket copyright deal with the RIAA etc.

    Enforcement may well come in the form of closing down the sources of illegal ringtone downloads or adding a small surcharge to the telco per call etc to recover stolen royalties. It's pretty much anyone's guess at the moment.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  9. #9
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: About Copyrighted music !?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Azul:

    The copyright laws are very clear and it's been accepted in the music industry for years that any unauthorised reproduction of a song that has copyright on it is a violation of copyright, regardless of the length of the clip. 3 seconds or 3 minutes, theft is theft. That includes re-recording the song, for example making a midi file from it. The accepted standard is that as long as 7 out of 8 notes are identical it's not a copyright infringement. (it might be 5 out of 6, memory is a bit shakey here).



    The use of music that is copyright is theft, pure and simple. CS'ers all bounce up and down whinging and whining when someone steals one of your images for whatever purpose. It's 100 times worse when a theft is made for financial gain without proper recompense being made.

    I have no sympathy for any photographer who gets pinched stealing music and copyrighted material. It's commercial theft and deserves massive fines. Once you accept money for a job you are in the commercial realm and deserve to be treated as such if you steal from others.
    Lets say I bought a CD from the stores, load it into my HP to listen to mp3 music (Thats legal right?) and then use it as a ringtone, (Full song, unedited) its considered against the law too?

  10. #10

    Default Re: About Copyrighted music !?

    so how much fine to pay if caught using copyrighted music for photo montage?
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: About Copyrighted music !?

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Lets say I bought a CD from the stores, load it into my HP to listen to mp3 music (Thats legal right?) and then use it as a ringtone, (Full song, unedited) its considered against the law too?
    Actually the legality of making an MP3 from a CD you've purchased is a gray area in international law. It's legal in the USA to make a copy of a music CD or DVD for archival / backup purposes for private use, but not in many other countries. It's a case of check your local laws to find out.

    Just remember, ignorance of the law is not a valid defence in most legal systems.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  12. #12

    Default Re: About Copyrighted music !?

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Does using a particular song as your ringtone violates it? how are they going to enforce it if it does? now that they are going after those couples who are using these in their wedding montages.

    A general query.

    ../azul123
    I think very soon compass is hiring people to do random check on the street, just like carpark attendant.

  13. #13
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: About Copyrighted music !?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Actually the legality of making an MP3 from a CD you've purchased is a gray area in international law. It's legal in the USA to make a copy of a music CD or DVD for archival / backup purposes for private use, but not in many other countries. It's a case of check your local laws to find out.

    Just remember, ignorance of the law is not a valid defence in most legal systems.
    Hmm...people make a digital copy not only for archival use but also for mp3 players. These days, no one uses Discman anymore. So making a digital copy must be legal. Its legal in Singapore, if not, Creative will not be making mp3 players and selling it locally.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: About Copyrighted music !?

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Hmm...people make a digital copy not only for archival use but also for mp3 players. These days, no one uses Discman anymore. So making a digital copy must be legal. Its legal in Singapore, if not, Creative will not be making mp3 players and selling it locally.
    Not the case at all. It's quite often legal to own an item but it may be illegal to use it. For example, in most countries it's quite legal for an unlicensed driver to own a vehicle, but it is illegal for them to drive it.

    Don't forget that self made original music and copyright freeware music both exist and it's within the spirit of the law for a manufacturer to state that that is their intended target market, along with legal MP3 downloads via various online sites etc.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •