Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: No tripods on esplanade bridge!

Blog Entries

Default Re: No tripods on esplanade bridge!

how is shooting with thousands of other photographers the same fireworks considered art ?
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    How is it thinking out of the box? Everytime there's a fireworks display, from about 3pm onwards the whole bridge is packed with tripods. Everyone reserves their spot, sometimes using overly large tripods, and taking up a LOT of the space for other people to enjoy or simply walk.

In case of an emergency, those tripods will trip people up.

I don't see how joining the herd of hundreds of people all shooting the same thing with the same angle is "thinking out of the box".
    yah... the tripods can get dangerous...

saw some more innovative photographers placing their cameras over the fences at raffles side...

maybe the best is not to go to too crowded places, if want to go, will have to take the risks involved...
    "camcount" freeze, till Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    Can't believe this. The atreos security people just told everyone to remove tripods on the esplanade bridge. Their reason of doing so, is because the bridge will be crowded. WTF?!

No wonder Singapore can never excel in art. They should just ban photography at marina today. Zzz
    Goodness sake ... Banning tripod has nothing to do with art !! You sad sorry soul...

Banning tripod is very common in western countries. Photographers just make the best and they still come out with stunning pics ! Why ? Thats because they think creatively !!!!

Before you make a comment... i think you shld take a long hard look at yourself

who say no tripod cannot shoot fireworks?

was at west coast park counting down with my friends, did not expect to see fireworks from there, no time to set up tripod.. can only shoot handheld..

2 secs, f10, iso 200, 105mm, handheld.

of coz i got some funny trails like this also, "ARTS"??
    2 secs, f10, iso 200, 70mm, handheld.

cheers and happy new year!

ppl these days like to complain.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

depends if going to blow up the pic...for small size, handheld is okay but for commissioned photographers intending the pics for commercial use, more then often not using the tripod can lose the sales of fireworks pics.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    wonder what time was the tripod "ban" enforced. I faced no problems with ATOS security right behind me, and i was positioned at the centre of the bridge, the guy beside me had a much bigger tripod then me too. no problems. I started my wait from 7pm.
    See what I am saying? Double standards.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by miaoteh View Post
    who say no tripod cannot shoot fireworks?

was at west coast park counting down with my friends, did not expect to see fireworks from there, no time to set up tripod.. can only shoot handheld..

2 secs, f10, iso 200, 105mm, handheld.

of coz i got some funny trails like this also, "ARTS"??
    2 secs, f10, iso 200, 70mm, handheld.

cheers and happy new year!
    That's some great shots bro, but I am pretty sure your lenses have some IS/VR built in, or unless you rested your camera on some stable base or in a very stable positions, I have doubts you can shoot a 2 sec photo on a 105mm, iso 200, f10 using handheld using a normal lens. If you really can, then I must really 鞠躬 to you liao.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    no tripod meh? how come i get to use mine?
    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    It's most strange. I have asked some of the TS's of the other fireworks threads, and those who shot on the Esplanade Bridge all reported using tripods.
    I wonder why was there a double standard where TS here was stopped from using tripod.
    Other double standard examples by the authorities. So I guess the TS has every right to get worked up. Why his cannot while others can?
    Last edited by Virgo; 3rd January 2010 at 09:59 AM.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    See what I am saying? Double standards.
    lets write to stb, police, organiser, newspaper, etc etc etc

I thought all your dSLR have video mode. Use video recording it is more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    I thought all your dSLR have video mode. Use video recording it is more interesting.
    DSLR that can record video ... less than 5 I think, unless you also count dxxx (cos no mirror and no prism) made by panasonic and olympus using m4/3 standard
    or unless you say we are all using pns

Tripods are banned in crowded public places in many counties now. The main concern appears to be trip hazards and then people suing the local authority for 'not providing a safe environment'.

Some places (I've got this in a famous medieval church in the UK) they want to 'protect their copyright', which is stupid of course, with a decent IS camera, you don't need the tripod to get the great shots anyway.

However most tripod bans are nothing to do with copyright or creativity, it's simply that a deployed tripod is a trip hazard and if there area has valuable easily damaged items (an art gallery) or is subject to crowding (like a vantage point for fireworks, or even a railway station), the trip hazard becomes a major issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    That's some great shots bro, but I am pretty sure your lenses have some IS/VR built in, or unless you rested your camera on some stable base or in a very stable positions, I have doubts you can shoot a 2 sec photo on a 105mm, iso 200, f10 using handheld using a normal lens. If you really can, then I must really 鞠躬 to you liao.
    i was shooting with my d90 and kit lens 18-105mm with VR on, all the exif data still intact, i was standing and holding my camera in shooting position, i.e. stick to my face with right eye looking thru viewfinder, right hand holding camera and shutter release button, and left hand holding the lens, perhaps my face is stable enough?

of coz there will be camera shake with a 2 secs exposure without tripod,u can still notice some if you look at my photo closely, what i trying to say is that, if really no tripod allowed, then just handhold and shoot lor, if i can do it at 105mm handheld, i believe that with an UWA, where the tolerance to camera shake is higher, i shld be able to get *good* fireworks photos.

this can be a problem if you wan to shoot fireworks with city scape, but i do believe that with digital photography, it is not too hard to overlay the fireworks photo with preshot cityscape photos as described by master Sion here.

of coz best is can use tripod lar..

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post

then people suing the local authority for 'not providing a safe environment'.
    surely that didn't happen here, ever

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    How is it thinking out of the box? Everytime there's a fireworks display, from about 3pm onwards the whole bridge is packed with tripods. Everyone reserves their spot, sometimes using overly large tripods, and taking up a LOT of the space for other people to enjoy or simply walk.

In case of an emergency, those tripods will trip people up.

I don't see how joining the herd of hundreds of people all shooting the same thing with the same angle is "thinking out of the box".
    Sounds familiar... oh yes, it recalls this AP article

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...nt_272015.html

i'm not at the esplanade bridge during new year's time,
    but i just try to understand the situation there...
    i only got this photo of esplanade bridge in the next morning... assuming the safety barrier is there, and the people with tripod i put proportionally there using the girl as reference...
    below is the sketch...

it seems a normal guy, with a normal size of tripod, and with normal camera ( ok la.. this guy on my sketch using large format, but tripod size the same mah? ) will blocked half of the circulation of the esplanade bridge. ( can agak agak see it by seeing the tiles patterns.. )
    So if i count the capacity of circulation of the bridge... assuming using whole width of it in 5 minutes can cater for 100 people crossing for an end to other end, then now with half width can only take 50 people crossing. Very rough calculation, but i mean you guys get the point right? i think not fair to judge the rules only from "aspiring artistic photographer" point of view... you need to see from public normal people point of view as well... as we shared the same public place....

ok la, i talk too much...
    Last edited by archlover; 3rd January 2010 at 07:17 PM.

Hmm, maybe we'll start to see an erp system for those that want to use tripods? With raising rates during peak times so that it will reduce congestion? Obviously, it works with cars right?

I've not been to countdown or shot fireworks..
    But I think if they disallow tripods along the bridge, it sounds logical when there will be a lot of people using the bridge.

Not sure how other think.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    Can't believe this. The atreos security people just told everyone to remove tripods on the esplanade bridge. Their reason of doing so, is because the bridge will be crowded. WTF?!
    I think they worry about having too many tripod holes on the bridge and they will structurally weaken it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast