Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No tripods on esplanade bridge!

Default Re: No tripods on esplanade bridge!

after reading the thread again, and the ts' replies

i finally see the light

i think the ts is using this sort of tripod

Oh try shooting today or any national event and tell me the amount of places you can go. Duhz.

Oh and gorilla pods are not allowed too! Someone beside me was told off as well k?

To --> ts,

What we can do if tripods not allowed?

1. Use very high ISO, carry a dslr.
    2. Use monopod.
    3. Practice steady handheld at high ISOs
    4. Use body or lens that have image stabilization, vibration compensation, optical stabilization, steady shot and other equivalent stuff.

Cheers

Mahathir
    Only in death, I shall be truly liberated.

No Tripods, then use a monopod then.

Or even a Gorilla Pod. Then they can't say anything else. Since only tripods are not allowed.

Security : "Sir, no tripods are allowed."

You : "Sir, this one not tripod, this one Gorillapod!"

You use high iso to get faster shutter speed. What kind of fireworks can you get at 1/10? If it's as good as a 6 sec exposure, then show me k?

And I don't think IS can help you hand holding 6 seconds....

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    You use high iso to get faster shutter speed. What kind of fireworks can you get at 1/10? If it's as good as a 6 sec exposure, then show me k?

And I don't think IS can help you hand holding 6 seconds....
    If you shoot fast enough at maximum burst, you can archive a stop-motion animation effect or you could always stack the images.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by mahathir View Post
    To --> ts,

What we can do if tripods not allowed?

1. Use very high ISO, carry a dslr.
    2. Use monopod.
    3. Practice steady handheld at high ISOs
    4. Use body or lens that have image stabilization, vibration compensation, optical stabilization, steady shot and other equivalent stuff.

Cheers

Mahathir
    Dont anyhow teach lah...
    Really would have people believe you..

Regards
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

Hmm... if TS start on this topic wonder there will be be rants about photography enthusiasts and their tripods / ladders causing obstruction else where in other forums

The Esplanade bridge foot way isn't that wide after all, I see nothing wrong in not allowing tripods on the bridge, is for the sake of general public interest.

cheers hapey new year ....only a tripod issue...
    to continue press hex key , to return to main menu press star

Haiz...

this is yet another thread whereby the TS got told off by some security that he cannot do something and TS needs a place to rant off. Otherwise, he feels buay song.

Cannot take then dun take lor.
    I gave up shoot fireworks after about 3-4 attempts but I dun shoot at the Esplanade Bridge so cannot comment about the commotions there.

Logically speaking, the security personal have to take into considerations the safety of the crowd gathering there. Today is New Year's Eve so the crowd there is bound to be a few times bigger than say NDP. If there is one line of photographers with tripods wide open and plonked by the bridge railings, it will deprived many people from filling up that space (cos it's taken up by tripod and they dun want to mess with it in case the photographer not happy).

Monopods and gorilla pods should be acceptable since they take up the space within your standing space.

About the closure of bridge...
    The media has already reported a few days ago that they will be closing it. So no big fuss about it.
    You are who you are. Shoot what you enjoy.
    PBase || Blog

Shoot video lor, i heard stories ppl shooting by the bridge like whole cam with tripod drop into Singapore river bcos some foreign workers trip over the legs of the tripod.

haha, wat a whiner

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    At night86mare, I'm sorry but esplanade bridge is hardly any church or musume. It is an open place for godsake.

And in case you guys think I'm another of your typical event chionger, sorry hor. I'll rather keep my tripod and see the fireworks display if it gets too crowded. I'm not the type that will die if I don't shoot. But there is a very big difference between rules that maintain law and order and ridiculous rules out there cos of some brainless officer being too kan cheong.

Oh btw, the aux police just closed the bridge, citing overcrowding. And no. It's hardly squeesy.

And how much space will a tripod take anyway? The footprint of my tripod is barely big enough to deny another onlooker. If you ban those overly huge tripods, I have nothing to say, but this is just dumb! Not to mention, there's event a photography competition as well!
    Bro, why do you need to apologize? You have your stand in your own right! I also think it is absurd to ban tripods on the bridge. Why, they are scared that someone will trip and fall into the Singapore river?

Of course, if everyone cooperates and fixes their tripods at the side of the bridge, which the aux police can control, I personally do not think it is a problem. As long as the photographers do their part and not erect their tripods in the middle of the walkway or on top of the parapets thus blocking viewers and endangers themselves or others, pedestrians will not purposely go to the sides and trip over it right? Of course, it's first-come-first-serve basis at the sides, and it's their job to control this. Full house? Tell photographers politely to go else where. Just because every photographer erects their tripods and they made their job easier, kill all birds with one stone and ban everything?

For me, I have already given up shooting in Singapore's public events like this years back. This place has all the weird rules you can find on earth, and they are fixed by some funny people. If they are talking about promoting art and stuff, it is just those people on top talking and bragging. Those people executing it do not really hack care about what is said on top. What they want is to get their job done at their convenience and the shortest time possible and that is it. I will not be surprise they will say no SLR/DSLR on the bridge in the next event because it occupies another man's space in front!

One can say shoot with high ISO or what not, but I guess they do not understand the joy of bulb photography with black cards. Who on this earth will shoot fireworks with hands holding a DSLR and set to high ISOs? How about those with entry level ones who does not have this function (high ISO and noise reduction), or those still on film? Get a 3200 film to shoot?

Monopods? With bulb photography and black cards? I'd like to learn from those who can do that.

Practise steady hands at high ISOs? I think one will need to go down to prone position or use other more stable ones. Standing to shoot with high ISO with steady hands? Keep practising.

Use bodies/lenses that have IS, VR, etc. Not all photographers are as rich as those who can well afford these bodies/lenses. Well, even if they do, IS/VR will only allow 1-2 stops of exposure at the most. Shoot fireworks?

Photographers use our brains to get better pictures. Authorities needs to use theirs to see how well they can govern this, make good decisions and make everyone happy. This is, anyway, a festive season and everyone should be happy, should it not?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

thats the thing....these sort of surprises usually are not made aware to the public beforehand such as closures of any locations or any restrictions.

its like going to NDP, advertise so grand but when go there...only then discover at the checkpoint even penknife not allowed in among other things. Guess how many people were "surprised" then.

Had there been a restriction warning on the ticket or at least on the website then there would be faster processing as people wont be arguing about what can or cannot bring in.
    Last edited by Reportage; 1st January 2010 at 02:24 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

stratix - i can understand how you feel bro.

but as lame as the orders were, the security guards were just doing their job. whether the decision was justified/thought through by higher management is another issue. no point wasting your breath and getting worked up.

if i were you, when no one is looking i will just whip out my tripod and shoot away.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    thats the thing....these sort of surprises usually are not made aware to the public beforehand such as closures of any locations or any restrictions.

its like going to NDP, advertise so grand but when go there...only then discover at the checkpoint even penknife not allowed in among other things. Guess how many people were "surprised" then.

Had there been a restriction warning on the ticket or at least on the website then there would be faster processing as people wont be arguing about what can or cannot bring in.
    Why would you want to bring a penknife to NDP to begin with??

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post

i do fear for the mentality of the security honchos..
    "hey, we managed to control the crowds better by banning pods. lets spread the practice to other areas and events.. SOP"

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Monopods? With bulb photography and black cards? I'd like to learn from those who can do that.
    well, its possible. my friend used to tied his monopod on the railing and used it as a 1-legged tripod.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast