Thread: Games on Mac

Default Games on Mac

Anyone knows where to get good games for Mac?
    I just changed from PC to Mac, and found that it's sooooo difficult to buy games for Mac!

I used to play strategy games like 'Rise of Nations', 'Age of Mythdology' etc or RPGs like 'Dungeon Seige' and even 'Counterstrike'. I think there are Mac versions, but don't seem to be able to find many of them in Funan and Singapore Mac online stores!

Most of the shops with Mac games carries the 'Beaten to death' games like 'WoW', 'Sims1,2,3', Simcity etc.

Default Re: Games on Mac

Check some of the US online stores like Amazon.

For something like counter-strike, you need to run windows (aka bootcamp) or there's even this crossover games service. http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/ (never tried it, just found it by doing a google search)

Mac is not a platform for serious gaming and it never was. wanna play? bootcamp into Windows. that's the wonder of a Mac... best of both worlds.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

you don't have to use boot camp. you can use parallels desktop. but i am using boot camp because i dun have enough money for the new software.. :X but even if you are using boot camp and XP, the windows is quite screwed up... Don't bother.. but it might be due to my computer..

but parallel computing requires additional memory right?
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

I think so since it's running on Mac OS X. so it's like another program.. you open it in mac os x then use the windows things.

EDIT: They share the same memory.. so i guess it requires some memory.
    Last edited by tehzeh; 31st December 2009 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    you don't have to use boot camp. you can use parallels desktop. but i am using boot camp because i dun have enough money for the new software.. :X but even if you are using boot camp and XP, the windows is quite screwed up... Don't bother.. but it might be due to my computer..
    I haven't used the latest versions of Parallels, but for heavy graphics games, it seems like a better idea to bootcamp into windows.

Oh the latest Parellels only supports up to DirectX 9.0c/9Ex.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    Mac is not a platform for serious gaming and it never was. wanna play? bootcamp into Windows. that's the wonder of a Mac... best of both worlds.
    Yap. Like mine. Me using bootcamp and playing Company of Heroes & Dragon Age (Dragon Age is coming soon for Mac version though).

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    I haven't used the latest versions of Parallels, but for heavy graphics games, it seems like a better idea to bootcamp into windows.

Oh the latest Parellels only supports up to DirectX 9.0c/9Ex.
    oh ya.. yeah it's true. parallels can only be used for MS office or some other less intensive applications. the salesman did recommend to use boot camp for gaming.. sorry about that.

try virtualbox as alternatives to parallels and bootcamp.

it works just like virtual pc on windows.

Use bootcamp for the games.

I bought a Mac specifically because it has so few games.