Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS system.

Default Re: GPS system.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    Best i've seen is the papago from eastgear.

comes with super realtime traffic live monitoring and auto re-route in case there's accident/slow moving traffic/etc..
    plus the map is the most frequently updated.
    A other inportant freeture is abity to recalcuate fast should u take a wrong road so u don't have to wait after u pass a few hundred meters before the gps unit warms u

Check out the exciting 'travel guide' from Taiwan Garmin............http://my.garmin.com.tw/connect/poi >> Once you open the link, search "restaurant" then a window "The Villa Herbs Restaurant" will automatically popped up on the map. >> Click on "* 詳細內容" shown in orange text. >> Then you can see photos under the column 詳細資料.

This should be available in Singapore soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    Best i've seen is the papago from eastgear.

comes with super realtime traffic live monitoring and auto re-route in case there's accident/slow moving traffic/etc..
    plus the map is the most frequently updated.
    A other inportant freeture is abity to recalcuate fast should u take a wrong road so u don't have to wait after u pass a few hundred meters before the gps unit warms u

just went there, autobacs doing stock take.......

sigh...... need to arrange again.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    Hi all,

Will be installing a GPS in my car, can help me by telling me which brand to avoid??? Shd be going to bukit batok autobacs to buy, before been con to buy a lousy and not accurate one, better ask here first.

i thanks in advance.
    Get a garmin from any authorized agent. Check the www. Garmin.com. Sg for the info. A good place is perfect watch at sim lim

Be careful as there are some unathorised shops selling parallal imports.

Do not buy from autobacs either as it is like going to NTUC supermarket to buy a dSLR

TS, you can't go wrong with Garmin as they are one of the pioneer in consumer GPS. I have been using Garmin GPS for about 10 yrs, right from their held-held eTrex to the car GPS. You may want to check it out at Sim Lim, look for the shop name Perfect Watch 1st floor and speak to the uncle who is the boss, I have got a few GPSes from him throughout the years. He is an authorized Garmin dealer too. Oh, Tomtom is another good alternative if you don't like Garmin.

Yo bros, got the garmin

quite a few free items, the lady is super patient and helpful!!!

Thks all bro for the advices and help.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

congratz... now you can go to their website and download some cool vehicle icons and additional voices.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

argh..................... very hard to use............ or it was my problem that i cannot understand????

will try again tonite, but the shop "perfect watch" deserves a
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

argh..................... very hard to use............ or it was my problem that i cannot understand????

will try again tonite, but the shop "perfect watch" deserves a
    what is it that you find difficult to use?

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    what is it that you find difficult to use?
    GPS cannot connect.........
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

First switch on of the day requires a longer connection period. Its the same for all devices. Best is to leave it stationary for it to connect on the first switch on. Subsequent connections should be much faster.

GPS cannot connect.........
    1st time always take longest. 1 more thing, try to connect in an open area, so nothing blocking the gps satellite, if u can't see the sky, u think the satellite in the air can see u?

it's true... i had to wait for some time too when i first switched on my Garmin.

thks all, managed to connect it, yup need to wait for a while, abt 5 to 10 mins.

now waiting a chance to use it.

Mine is nuvi 1350.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Go for Garmin, won't go wrong.
    I'm using the nüvi® 255W for 6 month, no complains so far.

Cheers!
    Dan

for updated and reliable maps... get them from here; http://www.malfreemaps.com/

Garmin one thing no good is the instructions sometimes come too late.

Another GPS I borrowed (Compasseo) can choose at what distance to give voice instructions (eg. 100m, 200m, 400m ....something like that)
    I love photography but my photos suck!

Quote Originally Posted by muvouser View Post
    Garmin one thing no good is the instructions sometimes come too late.

Another GPS I borrowed (Compasseo) can choose at what distance to give voice instructions (eg. 100m, 200m, 400m ....something like that)

The best value for money GPS device currently is the Garmin 255W (localised version). I always advocate Garmin because they are the best in the market not just in this region but also in the world as they are the only brand that have maps of virtually every country of the world. Besides, no other brands have web communities creating 3rd party maps for Garmin devices. In Sg and My, you have malsingmaps and mafreemaps. Ditto for Philippines and Indonesia. These third party maps are even better than the original Garmin map of the respective country and best of all, it is free! Of course, some may argue that Holux, Shinco, Papago devices are just as good or even better but most users of these devices are not aware of even the maps from these brands are created by malsingmap and malfreemaps. These two web communities' primary aim is to create maps for Garmin and maps for other brands are just their secondary roles. Another important point to note is that Holux, Shinco, Papago are brands that are not universally known and have maps of only this region and perhaps Asia but not beyond. It is extremely difficult to buy maps, let alone free one, of countries in other part of the world for these brands. For Garmin, if you know where to look for, u can even find free maps of many parts of the world - some routable and some not. Besides Garmin, there are reputable and internationally well known names like Tom Tom and Magellan but they are good only in the USA and across the Atlantic and beyond these two regions, they are as good as useless and they have little or no maps covering Asia and other parts of the world. Even if you can find one, no maps are as detail as Garmin's.

For anyone who knows next to nothing about GPS devices and is embarking on his first purchase of such a device, do not plunge into it straightaway. Read more into it before deciding on the particular brand to buy. Most newbie made the common mistake of buying one basing one price (cheap in most cases) and loads of bells and whistle. Most features are good to have but need to have. The most important point to look into, when buying a GPS device, which many overlooked or are ignorant about it, is the map - how detail it is, whether free or not after a certain period of promised free uploading of new map, etc. I am not in anyway related to Garmin or have official connection with them, but i just want to say that, if you buy a Garmin device, the device will come with Garmin City Navigator map of Malaysia and Singapore and MSM NT map of Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei. These maps can be updated free via MSM whenever there is a new release but the Garmin CN map is free only for 2 subsequent update, if I remember correctly. Besides, you can download and install the MSM (gpsmapper version) and MFM maps free and their maps are updated every week!!! You can't beat this!!!
    Last edited by redstorm; 19th January 2010 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    The best value for money GPS device currently is the Garmin 255W (localised version). I always advocate Garmin because they are the best in the market not just in this region but also in the world as they are the only brand that have maps of virtually every country of the world. Besides, no other brands have web communities creating 3rd party maps for Garmin devices. In Sg and My, you have malsingmaps and mafreemaps. Ditto for Philippines and Indonesia. These third party maps are even better than the original Garmin map of the respective country and best of all, it is free! Of course, some may argue that Holux, Shinco, Papago devices are just as good or even better but most users of these devices are not aware of even the maps from these brands are created by malsingmap and malfreemaps. These two web communities' primary aim is to create maps for Garmin and maps for other brands are just their secondary roles. Another important point to note is that Holux, Shinco, Papago are brands that are not universally known and have maps of only this region and perhaps Asia but not beyond. It is extremely difficult to buy maps, let alone free one, of countries in other part of the world for these brands. For Garmin, if you know where to look for, u can even find free maps of many parts of the world - some routable and some not. Besides Garmin, there are reputable and internationally well known names like Tom Tom and Magellan but they are good only in the USA and across the Atlantic and beyond these two regions, they are as good as useless and they have little or no maps covering Asia and other parts of the world. Even if you can find one, no maps are as detail as Garmin's.

For anyone who knows next to nothing about GPS devices and is embarking on his first purchase of such a device, do not plunge into it straightaway. Read more into it before deciding on the particular brand to buy. Most newbie made the common mistake of buying one basing one price (cheap in most cases) and loads of bells and whistle. Most features are good to have but need to have. The most important point to look into, when buying a GPS device, which many overlooked or are ignorant about it, is the map - how detail it is, whether free or not after a certain period of promised free uploading of new map, etc. I am not in anyway related to Garmin or have official connection with them, but i just want to say that, if you buy a Garmin device, the device will come with Garmin City Navigator map of Malaysia and Singapore and MSM NT map of Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei. These maps can be updated free via MSM whenever there is a new release but the Garmin CN map is free only for 2 subsequent update, if I remember correctly. Besides, you can download and install the MSM (gpsmapper version) and MFM maps free and their maps are updated every week!!! You can't beat this!!!
    i have been a loyal garmin user for more 4 years, and i agree with your opinions. no other brands are as compatible as garmin as they began GPS operations with flights and militry instruments since 1989. If you check out the garmin taiwan website, they have a whole range of services specially created for free Garmin GPS users that are never available in other parts of the world. Rich POI is just one of them, but this will be available in Singapore soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast