Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone dismayed by quality of pictures in Landscapes and Travel section these days?

Default Re: Anyone dismayed by quality of pictures in Landscapes and Travel section these day

Actually to tell you honestly even though I am only new to CS (please don't be confused about number of my post. its a technical glitch) this may sound very bold especially if it is coming from a new old school guy member like me.. but I am an honest man.. if this will help to improve CS so be it. something that i want to get off from my chest a long time.

I am not trying to be rude or trying to offend anyone or impose anything.
    I am just being honest.

so here it goes...

sometimes there are people who has just began to dip their feet into photography and oftentimes confused about what they are doing. These are the peeps who mostly posts the "Not So Good" pics in CS.

These peeps needs in front of you face comments.. if you know what i mean. THERE ARE SO MANY peeps in CS who just comments and comments and comments keeps on posting and posting comments and yammering like verbal diarrhea but never say anything on how to improve the photo.

I came from film days so I am very new to the digital world and very very new to photoshop and lightroom these kinds of stuff... so whenever i post a picture i always include "please CC" and for some reason not a single member has really looked into my posted photos. not even a single one. Photos are often seen in CS threads but seldom looked into.

There is this one guy who told me that i need to work on my skills first before he can comment to my works.. which is fine by me honestly i don't have any problem with his comment..i like it as a matter fact because its firm and direct and honest.. but when i tried to ask him what skills do i need to improve? he just vanished into thin air and simply didn't replied.

The only members whom I remember commented something that is very honest and very useful in my opinion is night86mare and confession. Other comments are just a waste of space in the forum.

The reason why some peeps migrates to different sites? simple.. honesty and contributions. so ask ourselves.. what have we contributed lately to CS?.
    Last edited by laposto; 31st December 2009 at 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Anyone dismayed by quality of pictures in Landscapes and Travel section these day

I like to analyze problem. After visiting the site that TS has mention, I would say yes there is a plus point there. But the overall percentage of good images is a mix.
    What happened is CS limits the number of image posting to small number but the site allows is an album, thus you see a mix of good and bad. But a quick glance at CS posting are the same mix of good and bad.
    Also the organisation of album makes flipping easy and thus skip the bad ones fast without noticing they are there.
    Nevertheless, the country where the photographer here visit plays a part to give people the wonderful scene.
    The ability to use 800x600 and above is a plus point too for landscape.

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

I think there is always a certain 'template' to a technically 'beautiful' photo that many people like. For me nowadays, travel photos are personal collections of the memories, no need to be technically beautiful and stunning. The experience of travel is priceless.
    HX300/ EPL6/ EOS60D/ 17-55mmF2.8IS/ 100mmF2.8Macro/ 135mmF2L/ 70-200mmF4LIS/ 300mmF4LIS

Quote Originally Posted by boroangel View Post
    Dun be mistaken...my pictures are mediocre too..I just wish a lot more of those who used to post travel pics in 2007 and earlier would continue to post more...cos their pictures were really good...and we see more people like Nuts, Oveyind, Tomshen, asterixsg, Shuttergraphy etc...
    i haven't seen oeyvind here for a while, but i know where to find him..

anyways, shuttergraphy is still around, i remember seeing one of his threads earlier this year.

why don't you take a look at sweeper, nutcracker10, soulfly, to name a few.

i think, standards always remained the same.. i think you like a particular style of travel photos, i can see a certain inclination and common ground based on the people you name.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    I don't quite get what TS want. Rant about the quality of pics posted in CS and promote another site ? Shouldn't we ask why others migrated, esp the good ones ? Is there anything that we all should look at or do to make this site a better place for improvement in photography ? He's absolutely right saying he has no right to say the things in his first post because it's not constructive anyway and pointless. His inspiration comes from Trekearth now. I think the macro section still has quite a few good phographers who are contributing to this forum. It's easy to criticise and not contribute. It won't help to promote CS a better place.
    well, he also has the right to speak his mind.. and in the same breath, we have the right to comment on his views. it's a open world, no need to say who has the right to comment or not, just comment on their comments.

constructive comments, worded in the right manner - these will help cs improve photographically.

the question remains, though.. does cs want to improve photographically?

i think, examining the multitudes of threads out there, and some of the responses to genuine comments.. the general consensus in my head is "no". then what remains is to just mix with the people who have similar mindsets, and take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well, he also has the right to speak his mind.. and in the same breath, we have the right to comment on his views. it's a open world, no need to say who has the right to comment or not, just comment on their comments.

constructive comments, worded in the right manner - these will help cs improve photographically.

the question remains, though.. does cs want to improve photographically?

i think, examining the multitudes of threads out there, and some of the responses to genuine comments.. the general consensus in my head is "no". then what remains is to just mix with the people who have similar mindsets, and take it from there.
    i guess when the population increases, it becomes increasingly difficult to serve everybody's needs... or to put it in another way, everybody has different objectives when picking up a camera, which explains the different kinds of photographic mindsets here.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    I don't quite get what TS want. Rant about the quality of pics posted in CS and promote another site ? Shouldn't we ask why others migrated, esp the good ones ? Is there anything that we all should look at or do to make this site a better place for improvement in photography ? He's absolutely right saying he has no right to say the things in his first post because it's not constructive anyway and pointless. His inspiration comes from Trekearth now. I think the macro section still has quite a few good phographers who are contributing to this forum. It's easy to criticise and not contribute. It won't help to promote CS a better place.
    Well I do post on the Landscapes section sometimes...but I don't see how posting and posting threads there when my pics arent greatest, is really going to improve that section. Take a look at the threads where the pictures are somewhat (I have to be blatant here) average, ok thats fine, but you get ppl comments that its a great series and nice captures etc. No feedback on whats wrong with the photos?? And that person is going to stay like that and keep posting the same kind of pictures over and over again. However, I am not saying one shouldnt post there...you can even if your pictures are average. It is a free forum after all.

What I am trying to say is I have observed a general trend of the quality in that section going down recently...but of cos...thats based on my own standards of what I think constitutes good photos...it varies for different ppl obviously.
    Last edited by boroangel; 31st December 2009 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

why don't you take a look at sweeper, nutcracker10, soulfly, to name a few.

you miss out night86mare..
    Nikon D300 : 70 -300 ED VR | 18 - 200 ED VR | 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
    My flickr

Quote Originally Posted by vincechan06 View Post
    I think he'll get to that if you give him a bit of time.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    No picture is good until I say it is good.
    Must buy you beer?

Well I do post on the Landscapes section sometimes...but I don't see how posting and posting threads there when my pics arent greatest, is really going to improve that section. Take a look at the threads where the pictures are somewhat (I have to be blatant here) average, ok thats fine, but you get ppl comments that its a great series and nice captures etc. No feedback on whats wrong with the photos?? And that person is going to stay like that and keep posting the same kind of pictures over and over again. However, I am not saying one shouldnt post there...you can even if your pictures are average. It is a free forum after all.

What I am trying to say is I have observed a general trend of the quality in that section going down recently...but of cos...thats based on my own standards of what I think constitutes good photos...it varies for different ppl obviously.
    I see your point and it seemed like laposto have the same view, not getting true or valuable feedback. I agree this is not helping anyone. I thought it might be more meaningful to ask what does it take to draw out comments or opinions from the really good photographers ? What's their need and the probable reasons for their silence or migrating ? We should not bring in the negative experiences they may have encountered but rather how can the active forummers encourage them ? Meeting their needs or changing our attitudes or behaviour ? Even if we may not be able to contribute because we lack of skill, i am sure we can encourage those remaining good ones. In my opinion, I think there's a severe lack of acceptance in this forum and so leading us to show lack of respect for others. Acceptance does not necessarily mean agreement and the only thing that is a big hindrance here is pride. Well as for night86mare, he surely deserves our respect and acknowledgment for his contributions. Not only his skills are good, willing to contribute but I see the change in him as a person and is really commendable. My salute to him !Hope we have more such people around.
    Last edited by Old Boy; 31st December 2009 at 02:12 PM.

In a way, its commendable to see that your angle of approach is to post only when it "improves the section."

I guess it depends on your perception of the purpose of the gallery is. Is it for sharing your travel shots and/or itinerary and its a bonus when the shots are (compositionally) good? Or should it be for posting only aesthetically appealing travel photos?

There is a slight catch here, if we do not put up the photos in the first, we might not know how to improve. The main problem, as pointed out my night86mare is that people are reluctant to give and accept criticism on the photos.

With cameras and traveling becoming more affordable, it is not a strange to see a glut of photos being posted, a dilution of standard is not unexpected.

Dun be mistaken...my pictures are mediocre too..I just wish a lot more of those who used to post travel pics in 2007 and earlier would continue to post more...cos their pictures were really good...and we see more people like Nuts, Oveyind, Tomshen, asterixsg, Shuttergraphy etc...
    Hi TS and all
    Even if your photographs are mediocre, that doesn't mean you are not entitled to view fantastic photographs! I mean, it would be sad if good photographs can only be viewed and shared by people of the same caliber! I also like to hang out at the landscape section but with no photos of my own to share

Quote Originally Posted by vincechan06 View Post
    Yes. I am one of nightmare86's fan

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by adorable View Post

Our earth is dying, so landscape look worser these days, sky wasn't that blue anymore, no more ice in artic, no more polar bears
    yea. now all polar bear paints themself with black paint and pretends to be a china panda.

travel photography is quite er. on the go one. if u lucky u get good shots. if u not u get nothing.

like how to say:x i go taiwan 9 years in a row liao. on my 8th year i had my dslr. i took loads.
    on my 9th year i only took 4 panaromas and i called it the end already. sometimes its hard to find good shots if u no luck. and i didnt had luck ~~
    more often than likely is ppl post all their photos tat they took, as compared to photos they think will be the most significant ones. maybe tats the real reason to the supposed not so high standards. then again i not pro. ~~

u may see my album at www.dropshots.com/squallleonhart4eva ;D

Everyone who goes on holiday likes to share their joy, and this may come in the form of photos.
    Some are more travel blogs than good shots. But the key is to tell someone in a constructive manner about the quality of their shots.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Everyone who goes on holiday likes to share their joy, and this may come in the form of photos.
    Some are more travel blogs than good shots. But the key is to tell someone in a constructive manner about the quality of their shots.
    hmmm. my opinion? ppl who posts on tat travel place, they usually just post all. as compared to selecting the better ones?

dunno how to say :x but still. travel photos are stuff u dun see everyday.

wad did u meant by low standards btw ar TS, as in technicality it sucks? like underexposed and stuff?

or was it the lack of a subject, composition and stuff?

if its the first i think it would be bad. if its second not tooooooo bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12