Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

  1. #1

    Default Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    Hi, why i cant capture purple lights? is it my shutter speed timing?


    Example, this is the result i want,



    But i got this,


    (Both are an example)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    Is the first one is taken by you too ? Hmm probably a matter of white balance setting . Whats your WB set to ?
    Alpha and Omega

  3. #3

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    Both are an example image..
    My white balance settings is auto.

    Maybe is my shutterspeed timing problem, should open longer and let it capture more purple colour lights.

    I took an image of the purple light, (but its not so purple colour[like whiten purple colour, i dont know why. Some of the lights was suppose to be blue, but the image i took become white colour)
    Is it because its out of focus?

    Last edited by mem0riess; 29th December 2009 at 10:43 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    Quote Originally Posted by mem0riess View Post
    Both are an example image..
    My white balance settings is auto.

    Maybe is my shutterspeed timing problem, should open longer and let it capture more purple colour lights.

    I took an image of the purple light, (but its not so purple colour[like whiten purple colour, i dont know why. Some of the lights was suppose to be blue, but the image i took become white colour)
    Is it because its out of focus?


    It shoudnt be a focus issue. Sometimes we cant get the color we wanted that we thought we would like , in accordance to what we see. Thats because , of the different innate qualities of the light emitting out from the light source varies . For eg , tungsten , candle lights , flourescents , and LEDS. All these sources can emit light with varying frequency.

    You can try this at home to shoot your flourscent lamp, the resulting light will have a greenish taint to it if you shoot using camera AWB. If you set to Flourescent +/++ mode , the camera will compensate for the WB , and arrive at the more correct color.

    I think you shld tweak your WB , and try again. If I am correct , long exposure probably will not help . Any comments on this from the pros ? heh
    Last edited by Atarandas; 29th December 2009 at 10:55 PM.
    Alpha and Omega

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    It's a white balance issue. My friend was asking me the exact same thing when we were shooting at Orchard the other day, and the moment he changed from Auto, he was super surprised. I rarely set my WB to Auto. I want color consistency in my photos. If I made a mistake, I want the mistake in all my shots so I can correct it to the same degree later.

    Shutter speed also plays a part, to a certain extent. If you expose it too long (overexpose), it'll just be white light all over. Contrary to what you said, if you want richer colors, you should slightly underexpose instead.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    Most cameras have a problem with purple lights. Best to set your white balance manually.
    Alpha

  7. #7

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    karnage and Rashkae, thanks.

    I did tried playing with my white balance just now over there, but still cant it.
    Abit confused on how to set it, so how i can get the purple colour lights?

    Before i tweak my WB settings,


    After i tweak my WB settings,



    But you see, after i tweak my WB settings, even the floor also become purple, (any ideas how to tweak to make the purple lights more obvious without changing the floor/buildings colours? [Sorry for my broken english])

  8. #8

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    In this case you might want to either live with it, or learn to get creative in Photoshop.
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    Haha, Rashkae, so theres no other ways round? Hehee.

    Actually i did see almost the same result as the first example i posted.
    Just that i took it with a fast shutter speed
    Hmm, should go and try it out tomorrow again.

  10. #10
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    Quote Originally Posted by mem0riess View Post
    Haha, Rashkae, so theres no other ways round? Hehee.
    Yes there is, just don't shoot purple lights.................
    Take the shot!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    You can tweak it in lightroom, by adjusting the temperature and tint.

    Alternatively you can try this in photoshop.

    1) Use Magnetic Lasso / whatever method you like to select the christmas tree.
    2) Right click on your selection - Feather 5px
    3) Right click on your selection - Copy to new layer
    4) Menu -> Image -> Adjustments
    5) Get creative here, you can change the hue or adjust the levels (blue specifically)

  12. #12

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    set custom WB if u shooting jpg
    or use expodisc or grey card (eg whibal), shoot in raw and adjust during pp, or u can manually drag the slider to get the WB right during pp.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Yes there is, just don't shoot purple lights.................
    Haha, but purple lights seem to be more sexy than blue.

    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    You can tweak it in lightroom, by adjusting the temperature and tint.

    Alternatively you can try this in photoshop.

    1) Use Magnetic Lasso / whatever method you like to select the christmas tree.
    2) Right click on your selection - Feather 5px
    3) Right click on your selection - Copy to new layer
    4) Menu -> Image -> Adjustments
    5) Get creative here, you can change the hue or adjust the levels (blue specifically)
    Alright, i shall go and try the steps you gave. Thanks thanks..


    Quote Originally Posted by wdEvA View Post
    set custom WB if u shooting jpg
    or use expodisc or grey card (eg whibal), shoot in raw and adjust during pp, or u can manually drag the slider to get the WB right during pp.
    I'm going to try the way you guys taught. Thanksthanks wdEvA for the tips.
    Last edited by mem0riess; 30th December 2009 at 12:07 AM.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    I just noticed that you took this with a PnS... So there's limited white balance control you can do in your camera. Hopefully you can get what you want with a little post processing.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    I just noticed that you took this with a PnS... So there's limited white balance control you can do in your camera. Hopefully you can get what you want with a little post processing.
    sabee, whats PnS? (Point and Shoot?) sorry for being noob here. Hahaa.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    white balance.

    bring a white card and do custom wb under the ambient lighting..

  17. #17

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    whats a white card? blurrr. (sorry for being noob)

    and how do i set ambient lighting under custom wb? i cant find in my cam menu. ?_?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    Quote Originally Posted by mem0riess View Post
    whats a white card? blurrr. (sorry for being noob)

    and how do i set ambient lighting under custom wb? i cant find in my cam menu. ?_?
    anything white actually.........

    that, you have to read your camera manual...?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    Yah, read up my camera manual already before i dare to post question, didnt wrote anything bout ambient lighting.
    If I'm wrong here, please correct me.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Why purple lights will become blue lights?

    how about the section about setting custom white balance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •