Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed for ROM shoot

Default Re: Re: Help needed for ROM shoot

Originally posted by JasK

Hi,

Print: I will go for Kodak Portra VC 160 or 400, depending on weather and location.

Slide: I will go for Fuji Astia.

28mm may not be wide enough indoors.

Bounce if it have a nice ceiling, but i like to combine bounce and diffuse.
    If you use a camera with a good TTL flash (e.g. Nikon 3D Matrix Balanced Fill Flash, Canon E-TTL) and adjust your ambient exposure properly, you can get a very nice lighting effect if you bounce the flash.

Regards
    CK

Trevor_Tan
    Guests

Originally posted by hackie

sad to say, my flash can't be programmed.. full auto!!
    maybe using of diffuser will help?

and provia 100F will have a slight bluish cast rite?
    R u using your built-in flash or SB flash or third party flash?

Don't worry much about the flash if you r using your F65 built-in flash to do fill-in, cos the metering in Nikon is quite accurate, should be able handle the weather condition quite nicely. The same goes to the SB flash (I guess), but if it use it as bounce flash then I donno liao .
    Maybe u can T-load a SB50 from the guys here can bounce and diffuse with F65.

stay away from slides since your sis would want prints right ?

hence no point shooting slides
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Originally posted by JasK
    28mm may not be wide enough indoors.
    i agree with jask, i've taken fotos inside the ROM chamber before and the corner angle's quite tight. you should try to beg/borrow/steal a 24mm or wider if you can if you want to catch the full pict of the wedding couple with the parents and the ROM official. also, just FYI i've used NPH400 there an the results turned out quite good, with nice flesh tones. was using flash with bounce.

just my 2 cents...

Default Re: Help needed for ROM shoot

hi..

my sis had ask for me to be the photographer for her ROM end of May.. but this is gonna be my virgin attempt... so need some help and tips from you guys..

i'm using a TTL flash with a 28-80 lens. this shld be enuff rite??

and for shooting outdoor, which shld be the way to use fill flash?
    Direct, 60 deg with bounce card parallel, or 90 deg with bounce card at 45..

for slides, is Velvia 50 suitable for human potrait?
    for film, the best bet would be Reala 100?

dunno if i miss out anything.. pls feel free to enlighten me..

thanks in advance..
    Hi Hackie,

no offense to you, but if u're asking about wat slides to use when u're thinking of shooting the ROM, and u have no experience shooting indoors and want to use Reala 100, then u probably shouldn't do the ROM yourself.

Also your statement about it being not so bad if u screw up for family members worries me Believe me, any wedding you screw up can have serious and long lasting implications on your future relationship with the couple. Especially for someone as close to you as your own sister.

A wedding, or even a "simple" ROM is no joking matter. If you don't get good pictures of the event, the couple is going to have to live with wat u give them forever - there's no way to reshoot it at all.

If you really want to move into freelance, you should shoot alongside an experienced photographer to learn the ropes. That's how most (if not all) wedding / freelance wedding photographers do it.

Doing it yourself when u have absolutely no experience at all is a recipe for disaster.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Originally posted by ckiang

Give it a go, it's quite fun to do actually. And what better ways to practice than your family/friend's ROMs and weddings.

ck, i dun believe u're the one posting this piece of advice (if it's a serious one at all ), esp after wat u've been through.......
    David Teo

Hackie,

I agree with RedDawn. If you have this many doubts, you should advice your sis to get someone experienced to be the main photographer, while you shoot alongside to learn from him/her.

As the wedding photographer, the entire group is under your control during the shooting session, especially during the outdoor shoot, when there are no customary procedures to guide the activities along. During the ceremony itself, things just move along so quickly that if you are not familiar with the procedure and the techniques to take the best position at the right time, you will miss the important moments.

Shooting for family may make it easiler to establish control, but that does not guarantee good results.

If you are really set to do this yourself, my advice are:

- Familiarise yourself with the ceromony procedures, be constantly anticipative of what is going to happen next, and make sure you are at the right position to cature the moment. Make a mental list of the important moments, such as ring exchange, kissing the bride, signing the certificate (the couple and the witnesses), group photo with the solemniser (spelling?).

- Spend some time surveying and planning your shots at the location of the outdoor shoot before the ROM date. Bring some friends along to model for you so that you can experiment with your ideas. On the actual day, the ideas should just come one after another.

- Be flexible. Be courteous. Be confident. Even if you kalang kabo, don't show it on your face.

- Consumer digital cameras are very slow in AF and in between shot delays. Not a good choice of camera for such an event, as you are bound to miss precious moments.

Hope this helps.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Originally posted by Red Dawn

ck, i dun believe u're the one posting this piece of advice (if it's a serious one at all ), esp after wat u've been through.......
    How do you think I got to where I am now? Shooting friends and family's stuff for free lar! And sometimes (or rather most of the time) without the official guy.

Seriously, such events are the best times for practice. Especially if there's already a photographer. Don't forget that you shot a few this way as well.

Have fun, but take the event seriously.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang

How do you think I got to where I am now? Shooting friends and family's stuff for free lar! And sometimes (or rather most of the time) without the official guy.

Seriously, such events are the best times for practice. Especially if there's already a photographer. Don't forget that you shot a few this way as well.
    yeah i did - but always with another photographer, never alone for those first few times. that way, the pressure is not so great, and i get to experiment, learn, and experience wedding photography without the burden of the added responsibility, cos i foot my own expenses for those sessions, and i made sure the couple know i'm not there as the main guy

More importantly, i can get a feel for whether or not this is something i wanna do long term / pursue.

of course eventually i did "graduate" to doing them alone but i certainly wouldn't encourage someone to do weddings alone without prior experience.

the risk is not worth it. neither is one's reputation or friendship with others.
    David Teo

i agree with reddawn and ckiang... you should start off as the "supplementary" photog first. you learn more that way and also be a bit more experiemental. also, i know that if i screw up my own sister's wedding photos, she will skin me alive.

better to have someone else to blame it on if anything goes wrong.

Originally posted by Trevor_Tan

R u using your built-in flash or SB flash or third party flash?

Don't worry much about the flash if you r using your F65 built-in flash to do fill-in, cos the metering in Nikon is quite accurate, should be able handle the weather condition quite nicely. The same goes to the SB flash (I guess), but if it use it as bounce flash then I donno liao .
    Maybe u can T-load a SB50 from the guys here can bounce and diffuse with F65.
    i'm using Sigma EF500 Std which is fully TTL.. i had used the flash in both direct and bounce with card and it works great! so i guess the flash shldn't be a prob..

Originally posted by rueyloon
    stay away from slides since your sis would want prints right ?

hence no point shooting slides
    slides is requested by her cos she wanna view via the projector... i'll be shooting neg too..

slides is requested by her cos she wanna view via the projector... i'll be shooting neg too..
    Shooting both slides and negative

I suggest tt u get 1 helper to focus on either 1 type of film ...
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Originally posted by Red Dawn

Hi Hackie,

no offense to you, but if u're asking about wat slides to use when u're thinking of shooting the ROM, and u have no experience shooting indoors and want to use Reala 100, then u probably shouldn't do the ROM yourself.

Also your statement about it being not so bad if u screw up for family members worries me Believe me, any wedding you screw up can have serious and long lasting implications on your future relationship with the couple. Especially for someone as close to you as your own sister.

A wedding, or even a "simple" ROM is no joking matter. If you don't get good pictures of the event, the couple is going to have to live with wat u give them forever - there's no way to reshoot it at all.

If you really want to move into freelance, you should shoot alongside an experienced photographer to learn the ropes. That's how most (if not all) wedding / freelance wedding photographers do it.

Doing it yourself when u have absolutely no experience at all is a recipe for disaster.
    thanks for the advice..

was kidding abt the screwing up part...

my sis had seen my works and had given good comments.. she wun be so duh as to let someone whose works she doesn't trust to be the photog rite?

and if i'm not shooting, someone else would also be shooting with a P&S! so might as well i take a shot at it!
    Last edited by hackie; 3rd May 2002 at 12:10 PM.

Originally posted by roygoh
    Hackie,

I agree with RedDawn. If you have this many doubts, you should advice your sis to get someone experienced to be the main photographer, while you shoot alongside to learn from him/her.

As the wedding photographer, the entire group is under your control during the shooting session, especially during the outdoor shoot, when there are no customary procedures to guide the activities along. During the ceremony itself, things just move along so quickly that if you are not familiar with the procedure and the techniques to take the best position at the right time, you will miss the important moments.

Shooting for family may make it easiler to establish control, but that does not guarantee good results.

If you are really set to do this yourself, my advice are:

- Familiarise yourself with the ceromony procedures, be constantly anticipative of what is going to happen next, and make sure you are at the right position to cature the moment. Make a mental list of the important moments, such as ring exchange, kissing the bride, signing the certificate (the couple and the witnesses), group photo with the solemniser (spelling?).

- Spend some time surveying and planning your shots at the location of the outdoor shoot before the ROM date. Bring some friends along to model for you so that you can experiment with your ideas. On the actual day, the ideas should just come one after another.

- Be flexible. Be courteous. Be confident. Even if you kalang kabo, don't show it on your face.

- Consumer digital cameras are very slow in AF and in between shot delays. Not a good choice of camera for such an event, as you are bound to miss precious moments.

Hope this helps.
    roger tat...

i'll still be giving it a go!!!

but juz ROM.. not the actual wedding dinner... cos i'll be too involved in other things to be shooting rite?

Originally posted by megaweb

Shooting both slides and negative

I suggest tt u get 1 helper to focus on either 1 type of film ...
    hhmmm.... maybe i'll leave the neg part to another fren... thanks!

hhmmm.... maybe i'll leave the neg part to another fren... thanks!
    Good luck!

Originally posted by Keito

Good luck!
    good simi luck??!!

u wanna help????

good simi luck??!!

u wanna help????
    hee

help? i no experience better not unless got a more experienced photographer around

Originally posted by Keito

hee

help? i no experience better not unless got a more experienced photographer around

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast