Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help3x...Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO DG HSM

Default Re: Help3x...Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO DG HSM

ur shutter speed is kinda slow (<1/25) for such lighting condition, i can only suspect a low iso or unknown factors. Dont be afraid to up the iso for ur initial testing or ur future shoot for much faster shutter to minimise any doubts on where ur problem originates.

Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
    2ndly. With all the Technologies a Camera has to offer for Sharp Vibrant and Colourful Images, why should we even take pics and have it Post-Processed later.
    We take so much time in Learning n Understanding A mode, S mode and blah blah blah, Investing in Expensive/Not Expensive Equipment for that Ultimate Pic but we still end up doing PP, hmmm, don't u think we should just buy any DSLR and not worry about the Image produced since we are going to PP it later. A little thinker there...hehehehe
    Your sentence seems contradictory.

Either way, post-process is just part and parcel of the whole work flow unless every single shot that comes out straight from the camera is deemed to be high quality by you.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

Actually have had high hopes of using the lens for full use and printing it into poster size. But i will check out the links tomorrow for further understanding on AF fine adjustmants via the in-body settings, and pro and cons of using this lens on a full frame.
    Million tanx ... jaRv1s
    I just hope that all will be patient in helping out....hehehehe...Cheers to all and Happy New Year guys
    welcome bro... just a soft reminder... next time researching for lenses to buy... don't take those users reviews too seriously... most people won't say the lenses they have are totally eff'ed up... also, check what camera they're using before concluding...

got a few quite okay review sites for your lens research...
    www.slrgear.com (normally test both Full Frame and APS-C together)
    www.photozone.de (this site more or less put numbers in everything they could test, but having very limited full frame tests)
    www.photodo.com (sometimes reviewer didn't know what they're reviewing esp for specialty lenses)
    www.dpreview.com (very systematic but very limited lenses reviews)

Check for front and back focusing (do a tilted newspaper test; the point of focus should be sharpest, not the point before or after.)

Mounting on a tripod does not guarantee sharpness if your tripod/ballhead cannot take the weight (and the 70-200 is quite a long hefty lens). I have a 400/4.5 that will shake simply by the shutter movement alone because its on a small inappropriate tripod. Use a reasonably fast shutter speed like 1/200 or 1/300 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoh View Post
    Your sentence seems contradictory.

Either way, post-process is just part and parcel of the whole work flow unless every single shot that comes out straight from the camera is deemed to be high quality by you.
    Hi there Yoh...Don't get me wrong, just my point of view on PP that's all, hehehehe, If and whenever Possible, won't U want your Pics to Stand Out w/o having to go thru PP??? I'm sure U would. And I guess that's the way I am and every body else out there are try to achieve. I do agree that if in some situations we can't than I do agree that PP needs to be done....Cheers bro Happy new Year.

Quote Originally Posted by dexpense View Post
    ur shutter speed is kinda slow (<1/25) for such lighting condition, i can only suspect a low iso or unknown factors. Dont be afraid to up the iso for ur initial testing or ur future shoot for much faster shutter to minimise any doubts on where ur problem originates.
    Hmmm...that's what I had in mind while reading back all the brainstorming I guess You're right on that.
    Will try it out again this afternoon with higher iso speed and a faster shutter....
    Tanx buddy

just looking at this pic alone i can tell you the "blur/unsharp" image is due to camera shake.

not sure if anyone asked this.

What tripod are you using? suspect it is not good enough for your A900 + 70-200. Was the tripod collar used and ballhead/panhead tightened properly?

Use a higher ISO to get faster shutter speeds at F2.8 to test if your lens is good. Your worries for the Sigma lens should be more of front/back focus issues rather than sharpness. The newer version of this lens 70-200 EX DG HSM II is very sharp even at F2.8. I know as I have tested previously on my canon 5D2 and also a D700, only issue was front/rear focus which will affect you at wide open apertures.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Check for front and back focusing (do a tilted newspaper test; the point of focus should be sharpest, not the point before or after.)

Mounting on a tripod does not guarantee sharpness if your tripod/ballhead cannot take the weight (and the 70-200 is quite a long hefty lens). I have a 400/4.5 that will shake simply by the shutter movement alone because its on a small inappropriate tripod. Use a reasonably fast shutter speed like 1/200 or 1/300 as well.
    Hi pinholecam...What do you actually mean by " Point of Focus should be Sharpest n Not the Point Before or After "
    Yes I do agree that the lens has a hefty weight indeed errr hehehehehe....but no idea that it still shakes even on Shutter Movement. Will take note on that...Tanx bro cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post

just looking at this pic alone i can tell you the "blur/unsharp" image is due to camera shake.

not sure if anyone asked this.

What tripod are you using? suspect it is not good enough for your A900 + 70-200. Was the tripod collar used and ballhead/panhead tightened properly?

Use a higher ISO to get faster shutter speeds at F2.8 to test if your lens is good. Your worries for the Sigma lens should be more of front/back focus issues rather than sharpness. The newer version of this lens 70-200 EX DG HSM II is very sharp even at F2.8. I know as I have tested previously on my canon 5D2 and also a D700, only issue was front/rear focus which will affect you at wide open apertures.
    Tri-Pod - hmmm too ashame to tell you the Brand of it bro hehehehe
    Anyways will try to Invest on a better 1 soon. After reading all the Feedbacks from all Sifu's here, I do agree on the Feedbacks given. Hmmm...guess it's back to the shopping list hehehehe....

"I would like to Thank All for the Feedbacks and Suggestions and all the time spent explaining to me on this, been a great great eye opener for me especially and hope all Newbies will learn from this, hope to correspond again once I have made some tests again...Cheers and Best Wishes to All on the coming New Year..."
    Last edited by whitewolf; 30th December 2009 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    welcome bro... just a soft reminder... next time researching for lenses to buy... don't take those users reviews too seriously... most people won't say the lenses they have are totally eff'ed up... also, check what camera they're using before concluding...

got a few quite okay review sites for your lens research...
    www.slrgear.com (normally test both Full Frame and APS-C together)
    www.photozone.de (this site more or less put numbers in everything they could test, but having very limited full frame tests)
    www.photodo.com (sometimes reviewer didn't know what they're reviewing esp for specialty lenses)
    www.dpreview.com (very systematic but very limited lenses reviews)
    Hi jaRv1s...Hahahahaha...that's a very good reminder there bro. Will heed your advice on this. If I have problems with these Reviews from the Links above, Is there anywhere else that I can look into?
    Have learnt my lesson now and hope it's not too late hehehehe
    Tanx again buddy...will look and study the links above...cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    The PC or Mac is a far more powerful and capable processor than any DSLR could ever be.

Which would you prefer to manage your files, especially if you need optimum quality for poster sized prints?

CHEERS!
    Hmmm...I guess I would use the Mac since it's common in my family, Laptop and Desktop...in the Phils though...

Well I guess I'll be out there snapping again n putting all the suggestions to use. Have noted and will do so...See you guys tonight with more Blunders and Bloopers hehehehe
    Yeeehaaa
    Last edited by whitewolf; 30th December 2009 at 02:29 PM.

Hi there Yoh...Don't get me wrong, just my point of view on PP that's all, hehehehe, If and whenever Possible, won't U want your Pics to Stand Out w/o having to go thru PP??? I'm sure U would. And I guess that's the way I am and every body else out there are try to achieve. I do agree that if in some situations we can't than I do agree that PP needs to be done....Cheers bro Happy new Year.
    No doubt about that, but most of the pictures would require re-work to make it better, don't you think so?

Happy New Year to you too.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

Hi pinholecam...What do you actually mean by " Point of Focus should be Sharpest n Not the Point Before or After "
    Yes I do agree that the lens has a hefty weight indeed errr hehehehehe....but no idea that it still shakes even on Shutter Movement. Will take note on that...Tanx bro cheers
    Here you are :
    http://photo.net/learn/focustest/

This one uses a chart, but same principle using newspaper.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoh View Post
    No doubt about that, but most of the pictures would require re-work to make it better, don't you think so?

Happy New Year to you too.
    You got me there brother hehehehe
    this time i have to agree with you....
    Cheers....stay away from the Booze
    Last edited by whitewolf; 30th December 2009 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Here you are :
    http://photo.net/learn/focustest/

This one uses a chart, but same principle using newspaper.

cheers!
    This is an Interesting 1 indeed bro
    Tanx....

search camera long lens technique on any search engine and u will find

How was it?

My copy of this lens is Good you can check my website.

If still NG I suggest you go and replace it. This lens is not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    search camera long lens technique on any search engine and u will find
    Hi there knpan...
    tanx for the tips, have read about it and very helpful indeed and have put it into practice...

Cheers and Happy New Year...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12