Thread: Night portrait question (noob)

Default Night portrait question (noob)

Hi all, New Year is coming and I am going for countdown with fireworks display.

From what I read from books, to take fireworks pictures basically is to close the aperture size and leave the shutter on for longer periods of time.

My question is whether there are any tips to take nice portrait pictures with the fireworks as the background? Surely me and my gf can't be posing with the smile for say 30 seconds, our mouth will get cramped.

Any advices? Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Thank you!!

Default Re: Night portrait question (noob)

Use flash to light up the person, ambient exposure set for fireworks. 30 seconds is a bit long even for fireworks.

Blog Entries

rear curtain sync or 2nd curtain sync

check your flash user manual or camera user manual
    i believe you can also use the night portrait mode

[QUOTE=gundamseed84;5729691From what I read from books, to take fireworks pictures basically is to close the aperture size and leave the shutter on for longer periods of time.

My question is whether there are any tips to take nice portrait pictures with the fireworks as the background? Surely me and my gf can't be posing with the smile for say 30 seconds, our mouth will get cramped.[/QUOTE]

All these trails happen within 1..2 seconds. 30 seconds is maybe something when black cards are used. In addition, you need a tripod. First, get the exposure right for the fireworks. The add the flash with FEC adjusted as necessary to capture your gf. Try a bit earlier to compose and find a good spot and also to find the best settings.
    EOS