Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can some pros give some tips on night photography?

Default Re: Can some pros give some tips on night photography?

have tripod dun wan to bring? I wish i got a tripod to bring during night shot...
    Anyway happy shooting at night ...

Some ppl are just stubborn. Don't bring tripod, then end up asking why they got blurry and noisy shots at f3.5 1s and ISO1600. Don't know how to answer those questions.
    Exploring! :)

M exposure...

Do this...

First get a good tripod, then set your f-stop to around 16 (will give you the nice star effect).
    Next what you want to do is two fold, first you want to give yourself a really nice exposure thats long enough to really burn in the colors, then once you've adjusted for that, take two more shots with slightly shorter shutter durations.. Once you get home, you can work with the 3 images, layering and erasing and blending to create a very nice range of light and dark tones.

Tripod heavy...
    DSLR not heavy?

You must as well get a PNS since weight is a factors for you...
    Last edited by qingtian; 29th December 2009 at 02:49 PM.

TS, if you think your tripod is too heavy for you, time to change to a lighter one. And if you cant reach smallest aperture, whats the point of christmas tree night shots?

After so much info being fed, you still don't get it and I'm going to bet my last dollar that you won't get it even if another 2000 people come in and tell you to haul that tripod out. Why? Because you are too darn ignorant and stubborn to learn anything. You don't need to take the Christmas tree now. Don't reach out for the tripod and type another word here. Go stuff yourself with photography basics. You can't go anywhere without them.

+1 for tripod.

The inside of the tree is quite bright though, you might be able to get away with ISO800 handheld.

Using a tripod allows you to bracket exposures and do some form of blending/HDR - something you will need as night scenes have a high dynamic range.

I had my SLR for 2 x'mas and never brought for take christmas lights.

Reason ???
    I am to stingy to buy a tripod. But know that without one the pics wont be acceptable by my standards. So no point even trying to shoot.
    I probably collect lenses more than I take pictures
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33270154@N03/

Also depends on what you are trying to take. I only used my tripod for 30% of my Christmas light shots!

Quote Originally Posted by adamdewilde
    M exposure...

Do this...

First get a good tripod, then set your f-stop to around 16 (will give you the nice star effect).
    Next what you want to do is two fold, first you want to give yourself a really nice exposure thats long enough to really burn in the colors, then once you've adjusted for that, take two more shots with slightly shorter shutter durations.. Once you get home, you can work with the 3 images, layering and erasing and blending to create a very nice range of light and dark tones.
    this is the problem.... see below.
    Save your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by mem0riess
    Hi, I'm going to shoot some Ion Orchard Christmas Tree and it's interior part later on at night.

Mind giving me some tips on what's the best iso, f/stop, shutter speed to stay with, what to look out for and what not to do.
    Thanks.

P/S, i will not bring tripod along.
    Exploring! :)

I wouldn't say a decent tripod that is like less than $50 is heavy.. just that it's bulky..

or you can try putting your camera on something that is stationary like benches or whatnot. It acts like a tripod too.

I think we can try to hold our breath during the picture taking to reduce shaking. At least wait until the shutter finishes

P.S.: that's a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Nmadness View Post
    have tripod dun wan to bring? I wish i got a tripod to bring during night shot...
    Anyway happy shooting at night ...
    Except you can buy a $20 from the BnS section which would still serve the purpose. Sure its not that light but I'm sure you can carry a tripod that's heavier by 1kg if you have your mind set on it... Heck you don't even need to set your mind on it, its not THAT heavy and you get a free workout :P

Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Except you can buy a $20 from the BnS section which would still serve the purpose. Sure its not that light but I'm sure you can carry a tripod that's heavier by 1kg if you have your mind set on it... Heck you don't even need to set your mind on it, its not THAT heavy and you get a free workout :P
    Erm...... you are spot on except for the $20 tripods. I'd stay far away from them.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Erm...... you are spot on except for the $20 tripods. I'd stay far away from them.....
    If I had to choose $20 tripod or no tripod for a night shoot, I choose $20 tripod. For example, the ones that Nikon gives for free with their DSLRs goes for ~$20-25 on the BnS section. They hold the weight of an entry level DSLR fine... Just be careful with them - just as you would with any other tripod.

If I had to choose $20 tripod or no tripod for a night shoot, I choose $20 tripod. For example, the ones that Nikon gives for free with their DSLRs goes for ~$20-25 on the BnS section. They hold the weight of an entry level DSLR fine... Just be careful with them - just as you would with any other tripod.
    Well, that's your perogative.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Well, that's your perogative.....
    Should I burst into the Britney Spears pop song now?

Indeed it is I'm just throwing the option out here for someone who might have a use for it rather than condemning all cheap gear... But I'm sure everyone has their own standards and I respect that.

i use it as a free light stand...

P/S: Mod shall we just lock this thread... this thread ain't going anywhere...

eeewwwww!!

Blog Entries

Indeed it is I'm just throwing the option out here for someone who might have a use for it rather than condemning all cheap gear... But I'm sure everyone has their own standards and I respect that.
    Hit me babey one more time!!!

Actually, cheap tripod is better than no tripod. I have a US$40 tripod and it has been with me for around 10 years and it still works well, and it is quite stable. And no, it is not light.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast