Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Do we need UV filter for digital camera?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Western Singapore
    Posts
    432

    Default Do we need UV filter for digital camera?

    Since digital sensors is not sensitive to UV light as using films, so it is not necessary to purchase UV filters for digital camera. Buying a good multicoated clear filter will be good enough to protect your lens from damage and flare. Can also save some cost too.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Do we need UV filter for digital camera?

    You've answered your own question already. So no point to this thread... :P
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    1,759

    Default Re: Do we need UV filter for digital camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You've answered your own question already. So no point to this thread... :P
    You are correct

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Western Singapore
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: Do we need UV filter for digital camera?

    Some might says that you are wrong because UV light will damage your digital sensor.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Do we need UV filter for digital camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsl03 View Post
    Some might says that you are wrong because UV light will damage your digital sensor.
    Prove it. Don't just say "some says". Who are the "some"? Where is the proof?

    And you contradict yourself already.
    Alpha

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Do we need UV filter for digital camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsl03 View Post
    Some might says that you are wrong because UV light will damage your digital sensor.
    Before it has to pass the lens elements. Along with the proof Rashkae has asked please also check about how much UV will finally arrive at the sensor.
    EOS

  7. #7

    Default Re: Do we need UV filter for digital camera?

    If UV can penetrate that thick glass and hit the sensor, then everyone will get cancer already.

    Quote Originally Posted by lsl03 View Post
    Some might says that you are wrong because UV light will damage your digital sensor.

  8. #8
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: Do we need UV filter for digital camera?

    I put my UV filter to prevent damage to my lens..

  9. #9

    Default Re: Do we need UV filter for digital camera?

    We need a "UV" filter nowadays is just to protect lens front element. So there is also 'clear' filter to purchase as another alternative.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Do we need UV filter for digital camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsl03 View Post
    Some might says that you are wrong because UV light will damage your digital sensor.
    correct me, IF the UV actually penetrate the lens, it will hit the mirror 1st, then reflected (if any) to viewfinder? Only when we press the shutter, and the mirror lock up, for the moment of the shutter speed, the sensor will be expose (to UV)?

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Do we need UV filter for digital camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    correct me, IF the UV actually penetrate the lens, it will hit the mirror 1st, then reflected (if any) to viewfinder? Only when we press the shutter, and the mirror lock up, for the moment of the shutter speed, the sensor will be expose (to UV)?
    Spot on - except for liveview - but Sony has a solution with extra sensor for LV. So the precious main sensor is only exposed to the bad bad UV in the moment of shutter opening.
    EOS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •