Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please guide me, I'm a newbie

Default Please guide me, I'm a newbie

Over the weekends, I've encountered the following while I'm out

1) At the merlion park at about 10pm, saw this guy holding this really cool DSLR. He turn left, shoot the esplanade with build-in flash light hand-held; turn right, shoot the flyer with flash hand held; turn around, shoot buildings with the same technique too. I wonder why, but he looks reallly pro with his equipment so I think he must be right.

2) At a dim restaurant for dinner, this guy beside my table was asking his group of friends (4 ladies) to pose for a group photo. Then I overheard him saying (quite audibly) "Please dont move for 1 second okie?" And he proceed to shoot, hand held without flash. After that he proclaims "Swee, very nice". I'm impressed. He is using the same camera as me. How does he hand hold for 1 sec? Is there something wrong with my technique?

Someone please enlighten me, I'm a newbie

Default Re: Please guide me, I'm a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by yc2005 View Post

1) At the merlion park at about 10pm, saw this guy holding this really cool DSLR. He turn left, shoot the esplanade with build-in flash light hand-held; turn right, shoot the flyer with flash hand held; turn around, shoot buildings with the same technique too. I wonder why, but he looks reallly pro with his equipment so I think he must be right.

2) At a dim restaurant for dinner, this guy beside my table was asking his group of friends (4 ladies) to pose for a group photo. Then I overheard him saying (quite audibly) "Please dont move for 1 second okie?" And he proceed to shoot, hand held without flash. After that he proclaims "Swee, very nice". I'm impressed. He is using the same camera as me. How does he hand hold for 1 sec? Is there something wrong with my technique?

Err, you cannot hand hold the camera for 1 sec? You say you're a newbie, but you have so many good items in your signature. Weird...

1.) He used flash, so that he can use a faster shutter speed.

2.) He delayed the shutter speed, so that the shutter would be open loneger and allow a longer exposure.

noob here too.

jus wanna clarify with pt 1. from the location of the merlion park, isn't the flyer a bit too far for flash?

i think num 2 he jus say 1 sec for the sake of the grp to understand. u can't expect him to say "can you all pls dnt move for 1/60 hor"

uhh i honestly believe at night, your built in flash will not be able to light up any structure evenly, and the resulting photo will not look very nice unless you're aiming for the arty kind of shots

Pt 1
    - just because he has a cool DSLR does not mean he is doing the right thing or is a pro...

Pt 2
    - it is hard to hold it steady for a second- he may be going for an artistic shot. At best 1/2 or 1/4 s is the lowest most can do, even with VR enabled.

Cheers.
    Last edited by petetherock; 28th December 2009 at 10:24 AM.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

either this is real or this is the most veiled sarcasm that anyone has taken out against people who use DSLRs and trying to look pro.

noob here too.
    1. aim at the flyer direction mean must capture flyer? cannot snap other things?
    2. at restaurant, dim lighted place and ambient, use flash will make all the chio bu look harsh. unless he fire the flash twice.. u mean 1 sec too fast isn't? he pro wat, snap and get back to the food...

can do lah

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    noob here too.
    1. aim at the flyer direction mean must capture flyer? cannot snap other things?
    2. at restaurant, dim lighted place and ambient, use flash will make all the chio bu look harsh. unless he fire the flash twice.. u mean 1 sec too fast isn't? he pro wat, snap and get back to the food...

can do lah
    how chiu know the ladies are chio bus?

Guys he's just looking the piss at people with 'pro equipment' but don't know what they're doing lah

Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Guys he's just looking the piss at people with 'pro equipment' but don't know what they're doing lah
    frnkly speaking, y r there pple who gets bothered by others who dnt know abt their equipment? it's their money wat

Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Ya lor.

for pt 1, should not use flash
    for pt 2, better to have fill-in flash

There are tons of people who look pro with a dslr on hand but actually can't even get the basics right.

If I see a guy using flash to shoot distant objects, that tells me immediately that he is not a pro.

Haha. Pt 1, trying to discharge their battery. ;-p
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

"looking the piss" ... I just made a new phrase, typo sorry :P

Quote Originally Posted by redname View Post
    frnkly speaking, y r there pple who gets bothered by others who dnt know abt their equipment? it's their money wat

You are right!

This is not the first thread recently where someone posts

"I saw someone with a XXX fancy camera doing something which looks silly. So I have to report it here and mock them" thread. The recent one seems to have been deleted.

I am watching to see how long this one will last....
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    You are right!

This is not the first thread recently where someone posts

"I saw someone with a XXX fancy camera doing something which looks silly. So I have to report it here and mock them" thread. The recent one seems to have been deleted.

I am watching to see how long this one will last....
    agreed somehow...

anyway there are plenty of DSLR user buy for the sake of buying..
    heard pple say DSLR having good pic quality.. buy !! too rich..

and they never bother to learn... already happen to some of my fren.
    All shooting in Auto mode.

You try shooting night scenery at Auto mode.. the pop up flash sure pop up... enjoy
    Newbie here :)
    Nikon D90 | AFS 16-85mm VR | AFS 70-300mm VR | AF 50mm f/1.4 | SB-600

Quote Originally Posted by godaikyoko View Post
    agreed somehow...

anyway there are plenty of DSLR user buy for the sake of buying..
    heard pple say DSLR having good pic quality.. buy !! too rich..

and they never bother to learn... already happen to some of my fren.
    All shooting in Auto mode.

You try shooting night scenery at Auto mode.. the pop up flash sure pop up... enjoy
    pple rich jus let them be lor. unless they borrow money from you to buy then nvr return, tht one must complain already

If you are impressed, you can always copy exactly what you have seen. It's called monkey see monkey do and see for yourself if the results meet your expectations.
    Last edited by Old Boy; 28th December 2009 at 12:04 PM.

Maybe they knew you're a Newbie.

They wanted to impress you.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    If I see a guy using flash to shoot distant objects, that tells me immediately that he is not a pro.
    Some Pros are using flash to send signals to each other.

2 Flahses: Got extra CF card or not?
    3 Flashes: Here angle not too good lah.
    2 flahses stop then follow by 2 flashes: Your XMM chio or not?
    4 flahses: Security guard is apporaching.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast