Thread: Photography Talk by the President of the China Photographic Society on 21st Feb 2004

Default Photography Talk by the President of the China Photographic Society on 21st Feb 2004

It is our pleasure to cordially invite you to a talk and presentation by Mr Yang Shao Ming, President of the China Photographic Society on this Saturday 21st February 2004. The talk shall be conducted in Mandarin.

The title of Mr Yang’s talk is :

“ Promotion and Enhancement of the Culture of Photography ”

不断 提 高 摄 影 文 化

Mr Yang has given similar talks, together with visual presentation of samples of his vast collection of photographic work, to photography enthusiasts and audiences in Hong Kong and Macau. He has received high praise for his deep understanding of the subject.

Mr Yang will customised his talk in Singapore very much with what we are familiar with, as related to Singapore and the region.

Details

Presenter : Yang Shao Ming

Title : Promotion and Enhancement of the Culture of Photography

Date : Saturday, 21st February 2004

Time : 3 pm to 5 pm

Place : The Photographic Society of Singapore
    Loke Wan Tho Gallery Level 3
    Selegie Arts Centre Building
    30, Selegie Road, Singapore 180030

Please confirm your attendance with Grace at 63343361 or by return e-mail to pss1950@singnet.com.sg. We look forward to seeing you at the Talk this Saturday.

Received the above in an email. Sounds interesting. Anyone going?

Quite fruitful to me as I can say. There's a photo-gallery going on at PARAGON right now till Wed(25th Feb 2004), I think. Don't miss it! Some of the pics there will simply blow your mind away! There's also a copy photography book(around SG$80 - RMB360.00) for sale, but have to pre-ordered first cause this book is on sale in China only(the one & only sales girl there told me). PSS will inform us(those who pre-ordered) when the stock arrived. Cheers mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    Quite fruitful to me as I can say. There's a photo-gallery going on at PARAGON right now till Wed(25th Feb 2004), I think. Don't miss it! Some of the pics there will simply blow your mind away! There's also a copy photography book(around SG$80 - RMB360.00) for sale, but have to pre-ordered first cause this book is on sale in China only(the one & only sales girl there told me). PSS will inform us(those who pre-ordered) when the stock arrived. Cheers mate!
    What is the title of the Photography Book? Is it a collection of the pictures on exhibition in Paragon or by China photographers? Can you please enlighten? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    In what way was it fruitful to you? Too bad I had to miss the talk. What did the speaker cover? Any other people from CS attended the talk?
    Last edited by Mike Ng; 22nd February 2004 at 03:28 PM. Reason: I used the word 'useful' instead of the word 'fruitful' as in the quote.

Don't know which CS member attended the talks(cause I didn't even meet most of you guys & girls before), but saw a couple of young guys & girls there. Majority people attended there are near late thirties to sixty or so. Regarding what the speaker talks about, is in mandarin. So don't thing I can translate them cause it's really a brain wrecking things to do(for my case). Very sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ng
    What is the title of the Photography Book? Is it a collection of the pictures on exhibition in Paragon or by China photographers? Can you please enlighten? Thank you.
    Don't know what's the title of the book, sorry. Can find out yourself if you have time to drop by there. I can say that around 40% are exhibited in Paragon(I think). In fact, most are China photographers. Most pics are shot in medium-format cameras. They also have the explanation(shot at what format, what film used & so on...) for each pic right at the end of the last few pages. For me, this book is a good reference if you really want to go there & shoot(one of this days?).
    Last edited by Spectrum; 22nd February 2004 at 05:27 PM.

i was there sitting beside one of the pillars on the left. =)

i liked his stand on culture being the most important foundation in being a photographer, and that ample knowledge of the history and situation of the image being captured will help the photographer achieve a better composition that'll capture the essence of the image.

but i felt that his commentaries on his photographs were quite.... out of point most of the time..

but overall i did learn something from this talk.
    Last edited by Clown; 22nd February 2004 at 06:48 PM.