Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Spoiler Alert] My movie review: Avatar offers more than meets the eye

Default Re: My movie review: Avatar offers more than meets the eye

Quote Originally Posted by Xtol19 View Post
    How would you know they're doing fine? Did you ever interview any indigenous peoples? Did you ever see the suffering from malnutrition, disease, famine, etc? The point is that, given a choice, I think it's highly unlikely anyone will want to remain in the jungle.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...everett-amazon, or the Akha tribe, both examples, they rather the outsiders leave them alone

Nobody says white men came to help anybody. As I said, it's all about self-interest.

Na'vi is fiction. Fiction only tells what the author wants to say.

Reality is a lot different. Ever heard of the tribal massacres in Africa? One tribe killing another? That's reality-- it's all about self-interest.
    Yes, I understand your point about self-interest. But still, isn't it better to champion a all-loving, compassionate spirit among mankind? Yes, one tribe killing another, war is inevitable, but do we wage war on them just because they are fighting among themselves?

I think you need to understand American better. They can't even say prayers in school now.
    And is that a bad thing? If prayers are allowed in school, how about Muslim prayers, or Buddhist meditations, or Scientology auditing, or Pastafarian's noodly beliefs? I mean, there's too many religious beliefs in this world of different people, so isn't it more fair to get rid of it. If I remember reading before previously, the reason why prayers in school was disallowed, was because children of the other religions, and the non-religious, felt ostracized by the mainstream Christian students.

I definitely do not understand America in depth and yes, I find they're an overtly religious country leaning on the side of bigotry. The war on terror is complicated, dragging way before the 9/11, and it would be unwise of me to comment further, except to say yet again, it's extremism on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Painting with light View Post
    economics and capitalism . before voicing individual beliefs on a subject , do a study. Open the mind . Dont be too quick to pass judgment.
    thanks. have been reading, but I do not think my article was too judgemental. It's not like I slammed the hammer on any issue.

not you la.
    Man greatest tool. The imaginative mind.

love the show. save gaia.

To all members,

You are welcome to talk about the movie, but please be reminded that religious and political discussions are not allowed on ClubSNAP. Thank you.

P/S: I've also edited the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...everett-amazon, or the Akha tribe, both examples, they rather the outsiders leave them alone
    You believe those articles? I don't think those guys knew what they were rejecting.

Here's a better example.

Why don't you ask the modern day descendants of the American Indians whether they want to go back to their ancestors' way of life? Or ask the modern day descendants of the Maoris in New Zealand? Or the descendants of any tribe you name, who have experience living with electricity, running water, sanitation, etc.

Yes, I understand your point about self-interest. But still, isn't it better to champion a all-loving, compassionate spirit among mankind? Yes, one tribe killing another, war is inevitable, but do we wage war on them just because they are fighting among themselves?
    Film makers can champion what they like. But it does not reflect reality. You can also champion all you want.

I definitely do not understand America in depth and yes, I find they're an overtly religious country leaning on the side of bigotry. The war on terror is complicated, dragging way before the 9/11, and it would be unwise of me to comment further, except to say yet again, it's extremism on both sides.
    I don't think you know America at all. Yes, there's the Bible belt, but really most people feel that mainstream America is losing its religion. Hardly the profile of a religiously bigoted country.

And extremism? That's bloody difficult when those in power have to spend all their time politicking, carrying voters who don't believe in the war, and answering to human rights groups and to the media.

Believe me, leading America is the toughest job in the world, and your party will never have all except two seats in Congress and the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    To all members,

You are welcome to talk about the movie, but please be reminded that religious and political discussions are not allowed on ClubSNAP. Thank you.

P/S: I've also edited the thread title.
    Why so much fear in Singapore?

Simply put, you see mankind negatively. I was like this before. I would like to think I have become a lil more positive.

Your opinions are appreciated!

Default Re: [Spoiler Alert] My movie review: Avatar offers more than meets the eye

Can we not use Avatar as a basis for discussion of such issues.
    it's embarrassing...
    Next thing you know we'll be using Transformers as the basis for dissecting life philosophy

Simply put, you see mankind negatively. I was like this before. I would like to think I have become a lil more positive.

Your opinions are appreciated!
    Very well, but pls don't romanticise indigeneous lifestyles and demonise corporates, white man, America etc on the basis of a simplistic movie.

Reality is far more complicated than that. In real life, the red riding hood isn't so innocent, the big bad wolf isn't so big or bad, and everyone has issues.
    Last edited by Xtol19; 30th December 2009 at 08:03 AM.

It is nothing about fear. The forum owners set the rules, all forumers follow. Those who do not wish to follow can choose to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    It is nothing about fear. The forum owners set the rules, all forumers follow. Those who do not wish to follow can choose to leave.
    Guess you don't get the question....

Guess you don't get the question....
    It is not a matter of whether I get your question. I am stating the forum rules. Please allow me to reiterate that no members are exempted. That includes foreign members.
    Last edited by ziploc; 30th December 2009 at 01:32 PM.

Default Re: [Spoiler Alert] My movie review: Avatar offers more than meets the eye

People people people. It is just a show .... a movie. Do you see multicolor flying dragons around and blue skinned humanoids with bushy tail.... NOoooo. Do you see floating rock and tree the size of 10 empire state buildings.... NOoooo. Do you see space ships that carried hundreds of people sleeping in chamber to a distant planet.... NOoooo.

So people, it is just a show. Even if you want to be imaginative in you discussion, be sensible.

This is suppose to be the real Avatar... the Last Airbender. Not some land grown sea anemones. So don't get too serious.

Very well, but pls don't romanticise indigeneous lifestyles and demonise corporates, white man, America etc on the basis of a simplistic movie.

Reality is far more complicated than that. In real life, the red riding hood isn't so innocent, the big bad wolf isn't so big or bad, and everyone has issues.
    iam here to help ! quick, go to my signature website. its good for everyone

after all the hype and good reviews pelted out, i went to watch it, and left without any special feelings and a backache.

admittedly, i was hoping for some breakthrough in the war scenes, but am sorely disappointed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12