Thread: Color Black and White photos

Default Color Black and White photos

Hi,

Does anyone knows how to color Black and White photos with Photoshop?
    Are there any software out there that does the same thing?

Cheers,

akane
    Confidence is thinking you'll be Champions, arrogance is stating it.

you mean making it like a color picture? or tinting the monotone to lets say blue or sepia?

making it into colour from black and white
    Confidence is thinking you'll be Champions, arrogance is stating it.

slowly paint over the area with your chosen color. of course do it in diff layers. then change blending mode to your taste... color works well

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    slowly paint over the area with your chosen color. of course do it in diff layers. then change blending mode to your taste... color works well
    Hi there..i have a little prob when deal with diff layers.. Last time i tried to to colour an object with different layers but i cant see the overall effects? If let's say i have 10 layers of colour, do i have to adjust the 10 layer's opacity so as to see the overall effect before flattening the image?

of course opacity is critical... if you set it at 0 you see nothing... set at 100 and you see everything... this is provided you are in normal blending mode...

read up to find out more about blending modes...

for example is your backbround is white and you paint on red using lighten blending mode, you dont see a single drop of red... why? because the mode will only affect pixels that you which are lighter in tone... nothing is lighter that white so you dont see anythihng.

you need to understand the modes....

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    of course opacity is critical... if you set it at 0 you see nothing... set at 100 and you see everything... this is provided you are in normal blending mode...

read up to find out more about blending modes...

for example is your backbround is white and you paint on red using lighten blending mode, you dont see a single drop of red... why? because the mode will only affect pixels that you which are lighter in tone... nothing is lighter that white so you dont see anythihng.

you need to understand the modes....
    ahh..seems like its more complicated than i imagined..thanks for ya reply..=)

Which PS software are you using currently(example: PS 5, 5.5, 6 or 7)? As to my knowledge(only some function that I know that's just good enough to get the job done), it's nice to work in layers as mentioned before this mail. There's quite a lot of effects layer tools in your layer bar(example: multiply, overlay, colour dodge/burn & so on...), can be apply to each layer & you can spot which suits best for your B&W pics. REMEMBER, if you want try out a few colour set which you think is best, PLEASE DO NOT override the previous file name(I presumed you know that already).
    Anyway, I think that there's more pros who know PS will gladly explain more deeper regarding to this topic. Cheers dude & keep on PSing.
    Last edited by Spectrum; 22nd February 2004 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryless
    ahh..seems like its more complicated than i imagined..thanks for ya reply..=)
    its not complicated. just that there are somethings that need to be demonstrated to SEE the effect... words can be meaning less sometimes without visuals... perk up dude