Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Places to get your travel gear - local and abroad: info and tips

Default Re: Places to get your travel gear - local and abroad: info and tips

For shops in Taiepi:

山水
    100台北市中山北路118
    02-23619507

登山友
    100台北市中山北路118
    02-23116027

Both side by side. I prefer 山水, they are nicer but they are smaller, there's this fat guy (you see him, you'll know). 登山友has everything if you can't find what you want in 山水 - but they rather brisque. Nontheless, these 2 are the cheapest stores in all Taipei and the most comprehensive.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

For shops in Beijing:

Discount outdoor gear shop:
    Call Gao Bin, 1352 0011109

高斌
    720 户外衣库
    北京朝阳区建外大街甲十号
    艺嘉大厦 4-d22
    贵友大厦对面, 秀水街市场斜对面
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Great time to shop in USA or online now... you can ship direct or via Vpost.
    USD is down to 1.25

any gd backpacks for bad shoulders to recommend ? and where to buy ?

any gd backpacks for bad shoulders to recommend ? and where to buy ?

Take a look at Osprey they make packs with good straps and have different sizes for small to large people. You must try any packs before you buy.

For Polar conditions:

- waterproof & windproof outer layer
    - down jacket
    - Polartec thermal pro or 300 strength polar fleece
    - inner sweat wicking layer
    - inner thermal layer - preferably wool - cotton is sticky when wet and difficult to dry
    - pants :
    outer waterproof / windproof layer
    inner fleece or fleece lining for waterproof ski pants
    long john made from wool

for ice - use crampon designed hiking boots, then rent the crampons
    or get winter boots

ski clothing isn't just for skiing, you can use it for adverse conditions and read up on the weather before you go, so you don't bring too little or too much.

I would ONLY shop in Campers Corner.... they know their stuff, and have the best gear.... I know - I ran a similar Shop in Australia for 7 years.

See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

What is the recommendation for winter boot gear - especially in snow filled areas. I would have thought some fleece filled or some thermal layered boots would be better? But I have not seen any of these around...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    What is the recommendation for winter boot gear - especially in snow filled areas. I would have thought some fleece filled or some thermal layered boots would be better? But I have not seen any of these around...
    Most Gortex boots will work for basic touring, and an occasional dip in the snow. Just make sure the snow does not go in. Then wear good thick wool socks.
    If you intend to really hike in the snow or go often to such places you can invest in a pair and it is best to buy over there. There is no market for it here, so the choices are minimal. You can also consider renting ...

Thanks for the info Pete,

I just got my first shipment from Sierratradingpost, no complaints, fast and everything fit well.
    I like their storefront, so easy to find what you want. I buy mostly short sleeve shirts, quick dry to bring on trips.
    World of Sports has the Columbia brand for $79.90. Buying from sierratradingpost with shipping was about $42.
    good stuff.

For members going to HK can check out this brand for hiking/travel clothes.
    http://www.blueplace.com/home.htm
    I went to the outlet at Granville, lots of own brand hiking clothes at good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Most Gortex boots will work for basic touring, and an occasional dip in the snow. Just make sure the snow does not go in. Then wear good thick wool socks.
    If you intend to really hike in the snow or go often to such places you can invest in a pair and it is best to buy over there. There is no market for it here, so the choices are minimal. You can also consider renting ...
    Well... Good question, I know it will be in the snow, not sure the hours, since I am going Aurora hunting. I presume it would be some session in the snow/wind, but might spend some time in vehicles while waiting or looking for places to plant that tripod and camera gear. I have a waterproof shoes that I usually use for cold weather trips, but I realised that sometimes, waterproof is not good if it is not "breathable" - I seems to find some thick socks get slightly moist when I walk around a lot.

Yeah there seems to be very little choices here. I think I might have to decide if I would get the boots while I am over in Europe before the actual trip. I doubt I can get it from states since I will not be traveling there, and for me I need to try the actual product before I buy to make sure I am comfortable in them, so unless I can find the model here and then order from states...

If you are in Europe, get Scarpa. Very solid boots, not cheap but you will not regret it.
    Excellent for hiking and the leather ones, less the Gortex ones will suffice for light snow work, and still be useful for hiking in SG when you are back.
    I own the ZG 65, lighweight, Gortex XCR. Goes with me for most of my serious hikes.

Well... Good question, I know it will be in the snow, not sure the hours, since I am going Aurora hunting. I presume it would be some session in the snow/wind, but might spend some time in vehicles while waiting or looking for places to plant that tripod and camera gear. I have a waterproof shoes that I usually use for cold weather trips, but I realised that sometimes, waterproof is not good if it is not "breathable" - I seems to find some thick socks get slightly moist when I walk around a lot.
    Yeah, my feet perspire quite abit too, but in this case, getting your fleece-lined snow boots won't help
    Unless u're really hiking in snow and do it reasonably often, then no point buying those snow boots. One of those high-cut goretex shoes may suffice.

I do alot of shopping in STP too, but for boots, yeah, I prefer to try them on and walk....

How about Mountain Hardwear winter gears? Are they good - Would anyone go for their winter/down jackets?

Default Re: Winter II

It's winter time again in the Northern hemisphere and these questions are repeated once more... esp questions on gloves, so up for this..
    Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Pants:

Again depending on weather conditions, you can get goretex materials, with or without additional wool padding - that makes them warmer, but they will be too hot for our weather.

The key is LAYERING.

Some come with a pad in the bum area if you do a lot of snow board and fall a lot.

Soft shell pants are available too.
    I like jackets and pants from Cloudveil, and they are a lot cheaper than some other brands.

What about down?

I use down in my Cloudveil Down Ski Patrol Jacket - a superb jacket which is good down to - 22 C.

But note down fill is not waterproof, but the synthetic ones are. The quality varies and so does the price. The better ones can cost more than $1000.

For long distance hiking / winter use, make sure there is enough room for long johns and for movememt.

Gloves:

I use up to 3 layers - an inner 'skin', an other Windstopper layer and an outer waterproof Ski glove, depending on weather conditions.

Windstopper models are ok if it is not too cold and you can use them with your camera.

Make sure the gloves are easy to remove and put on, esp in the cold.

Socks:

IMO this is really really important. You can use regulat waterproof shoes in winter, snow etc. but the right socks will ensure your comfort.

Stay away from cotton.

Use nylon, wool, esp Merino wool if possible.

Brands like Thor-lo, Holeproof, Wigwam, Bridgedale are good ones.

There are different thickness for various conditions and suit the fit of your shoes.

How about Mountain Hardwear winter gears? Are they good - Would anyone go for their winter/down jackets?
    One word: Solid. My family dons Mountain Hardware down jackets in Eastern Europe now. There are days I can go with just 2 layers. Their baffled design down jacket/parkas are built for mountaineering condition. They also have a sewn through design which is substantially cheaper but makes it less windproof, similar vein to a northface nuptse.
    Last edited by Avonez; 5th December 2011 at 03:28 AM.

Just got a pair of these for my Nepal trip:

Light and good... pity they don't sell Scarpa in Singapore. You can get them in NZ or OZ...

The Gore-tex will be important for wet conditions and the leather keeps well, but a toe rand will have been nice... Good looks from an Italian

Product Description

The Scarpa Trek GTX Boots are an all time Scarpa classic, updated with a more modern look and with a GTX liner for superb waterproofing and added breath ability. The Scarpa Trek GTX Boots are perfect for 3 season hill walking and suited to a wide range of terrains from valley floor to snowline.
    The Scarpa Trek GTX Boots are comfortable to wear and the sole is designed for stability, protection and optimum shock absortion.

Features:

• BX last with Integra sole provide exceptional arch and heel hold
    • Full grain Nubuck leather upper with 360 ankle flex feature for protection and support
    • GTX lining for waterproofing and breath ability
    • Comfort flex midsole for underfoot stability and protection
    • Skywalk integra sole, with EVA and PU inserts for optimum shock absorbtion and long term cushioning
    • Crampon rate B0
    • Italian made quality

If you need extra warmth...
    Or are borrowing the sleeping bag from the hiking company, you can add warmth or an extra liner so you don't sleep in a 'used' sleeping bag..
    Sea to Summit - Outdoor, Travel and Backpacking Gear

Reactor Extreme Thermolite® Liner

Aus $69 from Paddy Pallin

Increases sleeping bag performance by up to 25°F (14°C) with super-insulating 110g/m˛ Thermolite® fabric. Thermolite® is a hollow core fiber that provides extraordinary warmth for its weight and remains extremely breathable. Spacious design allows for a comfortable night’s sleep, even when the mercury plummets. Perfect for extending the season of your sleeping bag.

• 110g/m2 Thermolite® construction throughout
    • Adds up 25°F (14°C) to warmth to a sleeping bag
    • Mummy shape with a box foot
    • Draw cord hood with mini cord lock
    • Packs into its own Ultra-Sil™ stuff sack
    • Color of liner is orange
    • Weighs 14 oz / 399g
    • Dimensions: 84” / 210cm x 36” / 90cm

Quote Originally Posted by nuts View Post
    Yeah, my feet perspire quite abit too, but in this case, getting your fleece-lined snow boots won't help
    Unless u're really hiking in snow and do it reasonably often, then no point buying those snow boots. One of those high-cut goretex shoes may suffice.

I do alot of shopping in STP too, but for boots, yeah, I prefer to try them on and walk....
    Those goretex shoes will not do it - Not with the cold (-34 C) that I had to be in (standing there in that weather for more than an hour). I had a goretex, and supposedly with 200g of thermal insulation, shoes and it was still too cold for my foot! Drop in a chemical warmer and that does not really help as well since I could not feel the chemical warmer getting warm enough, or maybe the warmer got wet so cannot get warm enough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast