Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567

Thread: Shd newbie get DSLR?

Sighz~! My boss haven't call back yet... so cannot leave the lab... guess I'll have to answer your questions then... ...

Quote Originally Posted by usherer
    Hm..i dont think it's a forte in a sense. It's what *i* want to express.So, my question to u is : what do YOU wnat to express? What do u want ur image to say? What kind of effect do you hope it will have on your audience?
    Frankly speaking, I do not know what I want to achieve. Started off thinking that macro-shots of flowers will be more or less what I'm gonna do for photography. But when shots after shots of decent macro shots come out, suddenly the whole feel is just empty. It's just simply shots like what you see in the magazine, and that's all. Those that you browse and forget...

After that, I'd moved on to landscape, which I think is a real challenge in Singapore. Why? See, in order to make something as ordinary as Singapore's landscape to a presentable form, one need to crack his/her brain. Not easy, but sure is challenging... Again, got a few decent shots. But somehow it still feels empty...

Right now, I just shoot whatever that comes along... still, it feels empty.
    Think there's no way to satisfy this greedy person...

Looking at what you said, I think you've simply not found what you want to express so everytime you thought you've found IT, you realise actually it's not IT and you decide to change your goals. Then you get tired of all the changing you need to do. (Just my take on it, hope u are ok with this)

Maybe you can think about your own
    character/personality
    goals in life

Say your audience is your friend,
    What do you want to tell him/her (ok, let's use "it" to be politically correct)
    What do you want to get off you chest
    How do you hope it to react?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    After that, I'd moved on to landscape, which I think is a real challenge in Singapore. Why? See, in order to make something as ordinary as Singapore's landscape to a presentable form, one need to crack his/her brain. Not easy, but sure is challenging... Again, got a few decent shots. But somehow it still feels empty...:

Cant remember if I've said it, Im on a personal mission to reinvent ways of looking at S'pore! For my benefit and for my friends who are beginning to tire of this place...

Here r some pix I've been taking of S'pore
    at Bedok Interchange:

The fountain next to B.Boss (opp Istana):

Do let me know wha u think too!

Looking at what you said, I think you've simply not found what you want to express so everytime you thought you've found IT, you realise actually it's not IT and you decide to change your goals. Then you get tired of all the changing you need to do. (Just my take on it, hope u are ok with this)

character/personality
    goals in life

Man! You sounded like a real PRO! What are you doing posting in a newbie forum?

Frankly, I'd never thought of expressing myself in terms of photography. To me, it's well, just a challenge to me. And I like challenges...
    Goals in life to be expressed by photography? I really can't see how...

Hmm... think my reply doesn't do your reply any justice at all. Anyway, thanks for your 2 cents worth, and I will keep it in mind when I organise my next photo-shoot (which is on this saturday!! Haa~! ).

Cant remember if I've said it, Im on a personal mission to reinvent ways of looking at S'pore! For my benefit and for my friends who are beginning to tire of this place...

at Bedok Interchange:

Comment 1: resize the picture as according to the forum guidelines... my screen resolution in the lab is not good, so I need to scroll left and right in order to see the picture...

Comment 2: I would classify these pictures at best as abstract, not landscape. Why? 'cos it doesn't really tell where the place is. It's rather easy to use abstract to make a place look different... but to make a place look different using the same old landmarks with creativity and an added tinge freshness is much more of a greater challenge.

Comment 3: Your first shot has very nice colour transition. But all my attention is locked onto the window with the nice pattern... is it reflection or just an uncleaned window? And frankly, what are you trying to express in this picture?

As for your second shot, I really like the way you used colours to express a certain place... how the blue, yellow and red mixed is simply a touch of genius! Good! But what's the subject of this picture? What are you trying to convey?

Your third shot may have been better if you use b&w to convey the texture of the material. The reflections and colours are too distracting in that shot.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Man! You sounded like a real PRO! What are you doing posting in a newbie forum?
    No lah! That's an aspiring psychologist/philosopher-wannabe, nothing to do with photography. I still have loads to learn when it comes to the technical details about photography. Plus, my field trains me to think in such a manner.
    Since u have to go to the lab, u are in engineering/sciences? Yah lah, different. And if you want to know what field I'm in,PM me.

Frankly, I'd never thought of expressing myself in terms of photography. To me, it's well, just a challenge to me. And I like challenges...
    Goals in life to be expressed by photography? I really can't see how...
    Yup, so maybe you just want to document what you see?
    Aiyah! If at the end of the day, you still dont think you have any goal, then just do it! At least you know you have gone through the thought process and analysed what you want. U get what i mean? It's a state better than "i dont know." It's "I've thought of all this. They dont fit me! So, I don't know."

hey all da best for your shoot!! And I'd answer ur comments on my pix tonight!

Hey thanks for your feedback. Very helpful.
    Anyway, here goes..

Comment 1: resize the picture as according to the forum guidelines... my screen resolution in the lab is not good, so I need to scroll left and right in order to see the picture...
    haha! I realised. Don't have a penchant for reading rules and guidelines ;P Will take note of it in future.

Comment 2: I would classify these pictures at best as abstract, not landscape. Why? 'cos it doesn't really tell where the place is. It's rather easy to use abstract to make a place look different... but to make a place look different using the same old landmarks with creativity and an added tinge freshness is much more of a greater challenge.

Comment 3: Your first shot has very nice colour transition. But all my attention is locked onto the window with the nice pattern... is it reflection or just an uncleaned window? And frankly, what are you trying to express in this picture?

As for your second shot, I really like the way you used colours to express a certain place... how the blue, yellow and red mixed is simply a touch of genius! Good! But what's the subject of this picture? What are you trying to convey?

Your third shot may have been better if you use b&w to convey the texture of the material. The reflections and colours are too distracting in that shot.

Just my 2 cents worth...
    Yep, I think my stuff will be classified as more "abstract" by ppl. For me, it's an expression of how I preceive and record the place, which I feel, is different from "using abstract to make it look different" as that is really a reflection of how I looked at the place.

1st shot- it's the neon lights outside a kopitiam and the "window" are the slated panes typically found up in the walls. The title was originally "Light of its own".

You gotta imagine appraoching the kopitiam at night, from the outside, where all else is dark save for these bright neon lights. I wanted to use this pic to show how the neon lights carved out a space for themselves in the darkness + you only know where the darkness begins by where the lights stop.

2nd shot- Actually I wished I could be standing on top of something coz what I really wanted to capture were the 1. Chinese lanterns bathed in the 2. blue neon lights, in the 3. long corridoor, juxtaposed against the 4. McDonald's sign, to reflect the clash or maybe even the harmony of the traditional and the modern.

However, couldnt manage the shot so actually, Im not all that satisfied with this 2nd shot.

3rd shot-This was part of my series "Branded: City",depicting the shiny,slick image of the city.I use a lot fo reflections, rigid architecture, and slick modern building materials to show this. And on this topic of the whole idea of the city being all about appearances and image, I wanted to use colours.

B&W still conveys the feeling of remembrance of things past, of authenticity and raw feelings, which is not what my topic is about.

Thanks for ur questions and comments!!

Yep, I think my stuff will be classified as more "abstract" by ppl. For me, it's an expression of how I preceive and record the place, which I feel, is different from "using abstract to make it look different" as that is really a reflection of how I looked at the place.

1st shot- it's the neon lights outside a kopitiam and the "window" are the slated panes typically found up in the walls. The title was originally "Light of its own".

You gotta imagine appraoching the kopitiam at night, from the outside, where all else is dark save for these bright neon lights. I wanted to use this pic to show how the neon lights carved out a space for themselves in the darkness + you only know where the darkness begins by where the lights stop.

2nd shot- Actually I wished I could be standing on top of something coz what I really wanted to capture were the 1. Chinese lanterns bathed in the 2. blue neon lights, in the 3. long corridoor, juxtaposed against the 4. McDonald's sign, to reflect the clash or maybe even the harmony of the traditional and the modern.

However, couldnt manage the shot so actually, Im not all that satisfied with this 2nd shot.

3rd shot-This was part of my series "Branded: City",depicting the shiny,slick image of the city.I use a lot fo reflections, rigid architecture, and slick modern building materials to show this. And on this topic of the whole idea of the city being all about appearances and image, I wanted to use colours.

B&W still conveys the feeling of remembrance of things past, of authenticity and raw feelings, which is not what my topic is about.

Thanks for ur questions and comments!!
    Wah! Abstract thoughts for abstract shots!
    Frankly, for your first shot, I was just totally distracted by the "stains" on the window panels, and never really thought about the light. Think we'd always take light for granted yar? Haha~! That reminded me of the book "Feet of Clay" by Terry Pratchett... Oops! I'd digressed.

For your second shot, if you didn't mention about the Mac sign, I really won't notice it. However, even if the words of the Mac are in focus, the whole feel wouldn't be an upright modern versus traditional view. At most, it's a subtle message that most will miss. Anyhow, it is still a wonderful picture.

I don't really get your third shot... oh well, I'm not one who think in abstract anyway.

character/personality
    goals in life

at Bedok Interchange:

hi usherer.... your 1st shot is fantastic!
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Hi, NICE SHOTS! Like the colours loads! By the way, wat is shot 3? U say its a fountain but i cannot tell leh... Can send in as one of those 'What is that?' compettions or something! Keep Shooting!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Default thanks to all!

Guess every person who wants to be an artist is somewhat like a Tinkerbell who lives on recognition and applause - to some healthy extent only, of course.

Thank you.

nickmak- the 3rd shot is the bottom-up view of the metal structures in the fountain next to B Boss (yes, i waded into the fountain. If u ever see someone who's half wet around Dhoby Ghaut, that might be me. But I've stopped taking a dip in that fountain for about 1.5 yrs).

"What's That" competition? Hm..sometimes I worry the shots may be too abstract. Like what The Cheat said, it's easy to make thgs abstract but hard to look at thgs from another angle

Default nickmak- u in thailand now?

Hey! I will be going to West M'sia on Sat and travelling upwards to Bangkok!

Default Back.

Back from M'sia and Thailand.
    Stopped trying to take pics of everything that looks interesting.
    Started to etch them in my memory instead.
    Those I didn't take pictures of, I could remember them in more detail and how I felt.
    But of course, my RAM is so limited, so I'm still thankful for that digicam!
    16 days of travelling,512 MB.I wonder what pix did the others take when they say they take 1 GB of pix in 4 days??

China next.

1GB in 4 days?
    the usual should be 2GB per day rite?

Back from M'sia and Thailand.
    Stopped trying to take pics of everything that looks interesting.
    Started to etch them in my memory instead.
    Those I didn't take pictures of, I could remember them in more detail and how I felt.
    But of course, my RAM is so limited, so I'm still thankful for that digicam!
    16 days of travelling,512 MB.I wonder what pix did the others take when they say they take 1 GB of pix in 4 days??

China next.
    Welcome back, how's the trip?

1GB in 4 days is not surprising if they stored in Large or RAW. Even if they don't store in best quality, it's also not uncommon.

hallo there
    hows life?

The trip was good. met a lot of people, learnt alot of things, including a smattering of Thai and Malay, which I think will improve my Singlish Immersed myself in enjoying the experience (though I still definitely took hundreds of pix)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567