Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shd newbie get DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by usherer
    i juz discovered the wonders of Konica Minolta Dimage Z2. Cheap and with all the essential functions I want. Juz wondering why no one brought it up. Sthg wrong with this cam? Owners seem to swear by it leh (tho everyone swearas by their own cams)
    The Z2 is a very new camera, and most of us are either happy with the Z1 or happy with some other camera. It's a very good beginner camera though, and many people starting up in photography have been quite pleased with it.

Does that mean only Minolta lens can be used? Can they b used on future cams?
    What has Minolta lens gotto do with Z2? Z2 is a consumer camera with 10x optical zoom, not a DSLR. Minolta would only be releasing their DSLR Dynax 7D come 3rd quarter of 2004.

Was told SD cards are not common among other cams so it will b a problem if i buy other brands in future
    Err... who told you that? SD card is very common among cameras.

5megapixels can blow till A1 size.
    A3 = 2x A4
    A2 = 2x A3
    A1 = 2x A2

you do the rest of the math..

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    What has Minolta lens gotto do with Z2? Z2 is a consumer camera with 10x optical zoom, not a DSLR. Minolta would only be releasing their DSLR Dynax 7D come 3rd quarter of 2004.
    Lenses can be fixed onto it using an adapter.

Err... who told you that? SD card is very common among cameras.
    This uncle at Far East Plaza

Lenses can be fixed onto it using an adapter.
    Lens??? You mean filter huh?? Or teleconverters issit?? So can most of the other cameras what!?

This uncle at Far East Plaza
    Then go and believe him and think that SD card is not common lor...

brudder, u did notice this is the newbies corner right? Be more forgiving leh!

And the uncle did look very sincere and earnest when telling me that..

SD is not really that common. It is mostly used in low end cameras. Most up to date cameras now most support CF and MD. Dun waste your time getting a SD camera. Go main stream you won't regret, that's my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    SD is not really that common. It is mostly used in low end cameras. Most up to date cameras now most support CF and MD. Dun waste your time getting a SD camera. Go main stream you won't regret, that's my advice.
    Well, SD is quite common, considering that there's more low-end cameras than high-end ones right? Anyway, SD media is quite stable and fast, unlike CF cards, in which you would need to take into consideration of speed and reliability.

CF would be a better choice, since it's cheaper, and most high-end models used it. However, I truthfully think that the format of the memory card would really be the last thing you will want to consider when getting a camera, especially if you're a newbie. Of course, one might think twice when jumping to a xD media, SM media or MS media cameras, but SD and CF are really quite common, and shouldn't really play a big role into consideration.

I think it's more important to look at other aspects of the camera and to see your need... don't think memory would really affect the final picture output, right?

brudder, u did notice this is the newbies corner right? Be more forgiving leh!

And the uncle did look very sincere and earnest when telling me that..
    Okay! Sorry to blow up like that...

Anyway, I'm a Minolta faithful, but I won't really swear by the Minolta Z2, mostly because I'd already outgrown the capability that the Z2 could potentially offer. My advice is, if you have the budget, forget about the Z2 and move on to prosumer cameras, be it the Minolta ones (that would be A2), Nikon, Canon or whatnot...

Don't waste too much time looking for a camera, as the longer you take to decide on what camera to get, the lesser the opportunities you'll get to take good pictures. Ultimately, if you could produce great pictures, no one would bother if you're using an p&s camera or a dslr...

Don't waste too much time looking for a camera, as the longer you take to decide on what camera to get, the lesser the opportunities you'll get to take good pictures. Ultimately, if you could produce great pictures, no one would bother if you're using an p&s camera or a dslr...
    True, as long if the original picture's clear, it doesn't matter if it's a DSLR or P&S.

If the original picture is good, there's always PS to work on effects.
    If the picture sucks, no amount of touch ups or effects can salvage it.

you are right!
    In fact, all of u r right! Another case of the blind men and the elephant. Now all I hv to do is decide for myself. Thanks, guys.

To end off this night with some relaxation, visit:
    http://www.offstone.com/albums/showg...stype=&ppuser=
    these are pix i took with my Olympus C1-zoom

and i hv a dysfunctional site too...
    www.geocities.com/zijia0511

One of the winners from World Press Photo, which woke me up at 2am this morn:

http://www.worldpressphoto.com/conte...=208&wid=33755

Now, bk to exams
    Last edited by usherer; 7th April 2004 at 10:33 AM.

Default Digicam selection

Hi,

You have good eyes for picture! BTW, the link to offstone is not working...

Back to the questions, using traditional wisdon of film camera selection, you may want to consider the following.

1. Lens focal length range.
    Depending your shooting style, you may prefer more wide-angle (24-28mm) than mid tele (85-135mm). The pitfall with most digital cameras is that they did not go very wide. Some of the exceptions are Minolta 7Hi/A1/A2, Olympus 5060, Nikon 5000. There could be a few others...

2. Contrast adjustment
    I find the most digital camera dials in the default contrast setting too high. Do get one with feature to adjust contrat, so that you can experiment and get "softer" look pictures.

3. Flash capability
    Your photo (those still linked to the URL) shown that they are mostly taken in low light condition. As you advance, you may find that you would like to control lighting condition with external and/or wireless flash. I think Minolta is most advanced in this area with the film/digital camera, where Nikon and Canon try to catch up. This is the area that you need to think long term.

Hope this helps... Good luck with your exam...

This is turning into an obsession...

Quote Originally Posted by Stepney
    Hi,

You have good eyes for picture! BTW, the link to offstone is not working...
    Thanks u made my day!!Posted the offstone URL again.It's working

1. Lens focal length range.
    Depending your shooting style, you may prefer more wide-angle (24-28mm) than mid tele (85-135mm). The pitfall with most digital cameras is that they did not go very wide. Some of the exceptions are Minolta 7Hi/A1/A2, Olympus 5060, Nikon 5000. There could be a few others...
    Oei? from where did ya see that I prefer wide angle? Not very technical person, am trying to pick that up now.

Anyway i am now considering Minolta's Z2 and A80

2. Contrast adjustment
    I find the most digital camera dials in the default contrast setting too high. Do get one with feature to adjust contrat, so that you can experiment and get "softer" look pictures.
    The all have different modes to take pix + dont all cams allow u to change the degree of contrast? (i seriously need to brush up on my technicalities..)

3. Flash capability
    Your photo (those still linked to the URL) shown that they are mostly taken in low light condition. As you advance, you may find that you would like to control lighting condition with external and/or wireless flash. I think Minolta is most advanced in this area with the film/digital camera, where Nikon and Canon try to catch up. This is the area that you need to think long term.
    The Z2 has hotshoe!

This is turning into an obsession...
    Mind explaining what this obsession is about?

Anyway usherer, I like your site. It's in my opinion that pictures without any elaboration (or captions) are just, well, pictures! Like the thematic fish bowl thingie as well... too bad some of the links weren't working.

I don't really know what camera you were using, but it does seems good enough to demonstrate your skills in composing a photograph. However, if you really want to improve on your shots, you might want to read up more on a bit of technical aspects of photography, and see whether your camera can allow you to do those.

Keep shooting, and would like to see more of your work!

Default Flash photography

I don't really know what camera you were using, but it does seems good enough to demonstrate your skills in composing a photograph. However, if you really want to improve on your shots, you might want to read up more on a bit of technical aspects of photography, and see whether your camera can allow you to do those.
    Definitely second that. Sometimes I feel that the manufacturers just try to confuse the average consumers like us... If budget is high on priority list, reading up definitely will help in making a well-informed decision.

Regarding the flash photography, using the flash on the hot-shoe will only give you flat lighting effect on the subject. Wireless flash will allow you to use the flash off-the-camera. This will allow simulation of more natural lighting condition, as well as better creativitity.

Some of my favouriate sites that talk about this with plenty of picture examples are

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm
    http://users.westelcom.com/~waltsman/ninexi.html

Enjoy your reading...

er.If u checked thru my entries, Ive actually been logging on nearly every hr. This looking for camera quest has turned into some fanatic Holy Grail for me.very unhealthy.all the more so considering my final exams (NO MORE SCHOOL FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE) are in 2 wks' time.

Anyway usherer, I like your site. It's in my opinion that pictures without any elaboration (or captions) are just, well, pictures! Like the thematic fish bowl thingie as well... too bad some of the links weren't working.
    gam sia!

I don't really know what camera you were using, but it does seems good enough to demonstrate your skills in composing a photograph.
    Olympus C1-Zoom...

Keep shooting, and would like to see more of your work!
    thanks!! That's one of the best compliments for anyone who likes to shoot

Thanks alot guys, for all the help. My eyes are now set on Canon A80 n Minolta Z2. I'll assess my choices again in 2 wks, after the exams. Gotta rein in this obsession for the time being. Thanks for the encouragement too. Am gonna work on what I have, and in 2 mths time, will be armed with a bunch of pix from India and China! This is where _________(fill in the camera I'll be using) will come in. My first attempt at travel photography.

_______, it will be.

Tll then,
    ______ (my real name)

I got the

CANON A80CANON A80
    CANON A80
    CANON A80

wasnt intended to be like that. The commands went siao.

Anyway chose the A80 over the Z2 coz I went through users' pix of Z2 and I could see that they werent as sharp as Canon's.

Will be taking time to read thru all ur suggestions again before i go on to decide:

1. Casing
    2. Chargers
    3. Portable storage
    4. Wide angle lens
    5. Telephoto lens

"it's all about the money..."

am gonna make sure this cam will last me beyond my grave. (tho I know lots of ppl here would hv already spent enough money to buy a graveyard or two )

wasnt intended to be like that. The commands went siao.

Anyway chose the A80 over the Z2 coz I went through users' pix of Z2 and I could see that they werent as sharp as Canon's.

Will be taking time to read thru all ur suggestions again before i go on to decide:

1. Casing
    2. Chargers
    3. Portable storage
    4. Wide angle lens
    5. Telephoto lens

"it's all about the money..."

am gonna make sure this cam will last me beyond my grave. (tho I know lots of ppl here would hv already spent enough money to buy a graveyard or two )
    If you have the time to ask 100 camera users about what brand of camera is sharp, then most probably you'll get 100 different answers (assuming that there are 100 camera manufacturers, of course!). Think at the end of the day, is whether you're satisfied with a certain camera.

Some faithfuls may boast that their camera is the greatest, finding all sorts of reasons to validate their claims, and to seek satisfaction when seeing other people agreeing with them. But of course, they may be right and wrong at the same time!

Anyway, having tried A80 before, I dare say it's easily one of the better consumer cameras around. Great choice! Don't really want to say much about sharp or not, cos there's really too many factors when judging on sharpness of a picture.

you are right!
    To end off this night with some relaxation, visit:
    http://www.offstone.com/albums/showg...stype=&ppuser=
    these are pix i took with my Olympus C1-zoom
    I'm using the oly c-1 too. can't sell as it's a gift from my love one.
    OT: you can download neatimage www.neatimage.com and the do up a profile to reduce noise of your shots...

Happy shooting with your c-1 & a80!
    Last edited by Snowcrash; 23rd April 2004 at 02:51 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast