Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shd newbie get DSLR?

im a very satisfied user for my A60/70...simply brilliant..

Quote Originally Posted by usherer
    Hallo I'm back from all my projects.Actually this logging in is just a short break before i continue...

ANYWAY. Based on all your kind advice, i scouted around for possible prosumer cams.Two things kept popping up:
    Canon A70, Canon G3 and CanonS50.

Sebastian, i remember u suggesting in a chat that A40 and A80 are good.

What do u guys think about it?

Lemme juz give a little context about myself:I've been using an Olympus P&S for 1 yr and would like to upgrade my skills but starting on manual functions.Don't know anythg about shooting with SLR. Like to experiment with angles.

Appreciate all ur advice
    The Nikon Coolpix 5700 is a good buy - a prosumer product that gives very good result... only thing is the slowness when taking moving objects w/o flash...

and how relaible is it getting 2nd hand cams? COz techno gadgets are things that require say 1 day or 1 wk of testing b4 u realise if there's anything wrong with it. For example, the functions may not work after 1 hr of use.

U all get ur stuff from yahoo auctions?
    buy/sell thread
    unless u really suay and the seller out to cheat u, usually the device will be working faultlessly

if really got to buy new, then try to find those tt buy and sell in less than a mth one
    2nd hand, new, cheap

usherer,

I felt obligated to say a word or two about Olympus. I am a happy Olympus C3040 user for the past 1.5 years. Have shot many thousands of photos since I bought it secondhand from another fellow clubsnapper when it was 1+ year old. So after 2.5+ years of usage, it still performs like the first day I got it.

Good thing about this DC is that it has a fast f/1.8 lens on the wide end, and has most of the manual controls available on SLR camera albeit most are activated through menus. Power source is from 4 AA batts, which is cheap and economical. It's also one of the most quiet camera that I have since there's no mirror slap, no film winding noise and of course the tiny leaf shutter sound is almost non-existence - great for shooting discreetly ! Also, they are a host of other useful/not-so-useful features like manual focus, manual white balance, adjustable flash power etc. etc.... and movie mode (not useful to me).

Bad things. Shutter lag can be quite bad (one solution is to put the cam into manual focus and use hyperfocus distance). Noisy pictures at ISO400. Limited memory card(Smart Media) size.

Overall, the Olympus C3xxx series, IMHO, represents a good starter DC. The price should be well below the 500 mark now in the secondhand market when you find one. And it's an Oylmpus !

e905591s

Hi e905591s! Thanks for ur recommendation - tho now im in even more of an dilemma! =) hey, wanna ask u some questions as I'm not very well-versed..

1. Good thing about this DC is that it has a fast f/1.8 lens on the wide end- what's the pros of this? What should I be looking out for?

2. Power source is from 4 AA batts, which is cheap and economical. - 4 is cheap?? Sorry, am used to my olympus C1 zoom (think it is extinct) which uses 2. So 4 is the standard for such cams now?

3. host of other useful/not-so-useful features like manual focus, manual white balance, adjustable flash power - are these similar to manual functions that can help me in learning manual control?

4. Shutter lag can be quite bad - how bad?

Really appreciate all of u guys taking the time to answer to this thread, and the patience in answering all the questions I shoot back!

usherer,
    let me try to answer some of these questions for you... as i own the 2MP version (c2040) of the one e905591s has... (his recommendation too!!).. and i'm happily using it as well

1) f1.8 to allow you to shoot at low light condition.
    2) cheap and economical may refer to the type of battery... AA... which is actually attainable nearly anywhere... and the rechargeable version of it is like 3 dollars per piece...
    4) shutter lag means there's a difference between the time u press the shutter and when the camera takes the picture... shutter lag basically allows time for the pic to blur or the object to be displaced when you wanted a certain picture to be taken.

hahah! well i DO know what is shutter lag ; ) (depsite all the rest that I don't klnow about..)

Just how bad is it?I'll be very gek sim if i miss that one moment in time

hmmmm how come sony cameras are not in consideration? For prosumer class, the F717(which i use) and the V1 are both great cameras with full manual controls over shutter speeds and aperture size. Very nice quality carl zeis lens too The F717 has low shutter lag, fast focus, and a nice zoom too Haha..sorry can't help it but i'm a Sony fan.

Hmmm... I don't think 2 MP will be sufficient. I started with a 1.3MP Sony U10, moved on to a 2MP Sony P2, 3.2 MP Sony P5, 3.2MP Sony P7, 4MP Sony P9, 5MP Sony P10, and finally the prosumer 5MP Sony F717 when I decided to get more serious into digital photography. All my cameras were bought 2nd hand, and I sold them with little depreciation as I usually got pretty good deals for them. The megapixels race just keeps going on and on...never really enough of them when you want more and more detail into your landscape and scenery shots.

However, I think 5MP is sort of the optimum amount of megapixels for a prosumer camera for the technology now, as squeezing more sensors into a small sensor like the new crop of 8MP cameras really impares the sensitivity and quality of the CCDs, resulting in bigger but noiser pictures with more sharpening noise artifacts in the pictures.

The more questions i ask, the more answers i get, the more confused i get

but at least im learning loads of stuff.

hey, to blow things up to 8R, whats the optimum MP ?

Election results at the last count:
    Canon - GX, AX
    Olympus - 3XXX
    Sony - 7XX

Who will walk away as the big winner?
    Stay tuned to this thread!

Now, im juz waiting for Nikon/Minolta lovers to jump on board ..

Hehehehe...that's what's so nice about this forum aint it? Active participation.
    Anyway I think at leat 4-5 MP is needed for good 8r prints.

Canon - GX, AX
    Olympus - 3XXX
    Sony - 7XX

hahah!! sorry m3csl, if i dashed any hopes for ur panasonic.those comments were based on what i got as i surfed thru this forum.
    But like i said, there were panasonic defenders.

and how relaible is it getting 2nd hand cams? COz techno gadgets are things that require say 1 day or 1 wk of testing b4 u realise if there's anything wrong with it. For example, the functions may not work after 1 hr of use.

U all get ur stuff from yahoo auctions?
    Its alright maybe diff ppl hve diff expectations, when i improved my skills next time and get a DSLR i may hve diff views 2 heez

I nvr buy any 2nd hand high tech gadgets so afraid i cant help... I bought my camera at MS Colours. Friendly uncle though he isnt 2 likely 2 negotitate the price...

SIZE]
    8R = 8" X 10"
    at 300dpi(max resolution that shops accept) = 7.2MP
    250dpi = 5MP
    200dpi = 3.2MP
    150dpi = 1.8MP

150dpi is the minimum recommended resolution

Talking

Hi Usherer ...

You can make set up a poll and ask for which camera is a beter buy liao

Canon - GX, AX
    Olympus - 3XXX
    Sony - 7XX

get a OLYMPUS ! a C750 would be best to start with ... small ... manuel functions ... power zoom ...

ran a quick comparison on Yahoo. Check this out. Olympus seems to be the winner!

http://shopping.yahoo.com/comparepad/sidebyside.html;_ylt=ApMS3CyLYB5a5F4Ph_mBbaKmjnUC; _ylu=X3oDMTBycDNtc2hhBF9zAzk1NzYzNjAwBHNlYwNjb21wY 2hlY2tlZA--?d=&search=1&done=http%3A%2F%2Fadvanced.search.sho pping.yahoo.com%2Fshop%2Fcdigicamera%3Fy%3Dmffc%26 %26s%3D%26b%3D1%26r%3D%26cf%3D%26query%3D&passback =&uid=(1991329952,1991265740,1991206160,1991243795 )

halloo

this thread is feeling lonesome

Anyway if anyone is still tuning in to this thread,
    1. That means to say, if i wanna consider sending photos to mags n such, they gotta be 300dpi, ie. 8MP?

2. wad exactly are the differences betw a prosumer n a DSLR aside from MP since both allow for lenses to be attached and there's manual override?

3. If I want to consider:
    sending photos to mags n such
    helping others take pix (eg of weddings)
    dont want to upgrade within next 3 yrs

would u all still recommend a prosumer or sthg better? coz so far it seems like Canon A70/80/75 are among the most recommended

1. That means to say, if i wanna consider sending photos to mags n such, they gotta be 300dpi, ie. 8MP?
    It really depends on which mag you're talking about, but i doubt many would require you to have 8mp.

2. wad exactly are the differences betw a prosumer n a DSLR aside from MP since both allow for lenses to be attached and there's manual override?
    You cannot change the lens on proconsumer cameras. The other differences are too many for me to list them out here, so you would have to do abit of reading up yourself.

3. If I want to consider:
    sending photos to mags n such
    helping others take pix (eg of weddings)
    I seriously doubt any of the current proconsumers out there can do a really good chinese wedding. Though this should not be a problem, as you might want to practice a few more years before covering a wedding.

dont want to upgrade within next 3 yrs
    This will depend on person to person. I bought my camera 1.5 years back and intend to stay with it for another few years to come. Just don't be influenced by the equipment craze.

would u all still recommend a prosumer or sthg better? coz so far it seems like Canon A70/80/75 are among the most recommended
    Though i'm using a Sony, I agree these are also practice cameras, just don't get into the equipment craze many canon users are infected by . Of course if you looking for a higher end camera you might also wanna look into a 2nd hand Sony 717. .

yo.what r u doing up at 230am replying to my thread? hahah!thx nwae!

refraining from sony coz of its exclusive memory stick.canon's CF card n lenses are the main draw for me

Quote Originally Posted by Poon
    It really depends on which mag you're talking about, but i doubt many would require you to have 8mp.

You cannot change the lens on proconsumer cameras. The other differences are too many for me to list them out here, so you would have to do abit of reading up yourself.

I seriously doubt any of the current proconsumers out there can do a really good chinese wedding. Though this should not be a problem, as you might want to practice a few more years before covering a wedding.

This will depend on person to person. I bought my camera 1.5 years back and intend to stay with it for another few years to come. Just don't be influenced by the equipment craze.

Though i'm using a Sony, I agree these are also practice cameras, just don't get into the equipment craze many canon users are infected by . Of course if you looking for a higher end camera you might also wanna look into a 2nd hand Sony 717. .

i juz discovered the wonders of Konica Minolta Dimage Z2. Cheap and with all the essential functions I want. Juz wondering why no one brought it up. Sthg wrong with this cam? Owners seem to swear by it leh (tho everyone swearas by their own cams)

Does that mean only Minolta lens can be used? Can they b used on future cams?

Was told SD cards are not common among other cams so it will b a problem if i buy other brands in future

Seems like no one is replying to this thread these days. Moderator, i can still air my own thoughts here right?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast