Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shd newbie get DSLR?

[1] You're "strapped for cash"/"poor".
    [2] You want to save money.
    [3] You want to do so by paying S$2000, upfront.
    [4] Instead of paying S$700, upfront.
    [5] To save $20 per roll of film, all inclusive, over a period of X years.

And if you really are poor, where are you going to get S$2000 from?

there are still issues like white balance and color management to worry about.
    Yup. Totally agree. Before putting my hands on that DSLR (which I will return tomorrow), I never thought of stuff like that. What if your extremely white is not that white after all? Wouldn't it throw your pictures off the colour balance thing?

u wanna save cozt on film n iz strapped for cazh az u have mentioned in ur 1zt pozt, but dont forget u still need to fork out $$ for lenzez, CF cardz, batteriez blah blah blah ......
    I want to add that the DSLRs use a really dedicated sort of batteries (the kind you'll never see in your whole life if you spend it with a SLR/proconsumer digital camera). And it looks expensive. CF cards are expensive too. The cheaper 32MB only allows you to take a miserable number of shots.
    Guess the only difference between a DSLR and a SLR is the D, which is the digital, and the fact that you are able to look at your (goofed up) shots immediately after you take them and improve on them.
    I say if you spend more time looking through the viewfinder and making sure everything (aparture etc) is in order, you don't need a DSLR. And a DSLR has so many dizzying controls. It's a little confusing to use.

As far as I can see, the prices of DSLRs have yet to fall below S$1K. So, I'm saving and waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Poledra
    As far as I can see, the prices of DSLRs have yet to fall below S$1K. So, I'm saving and waiting.
    Oh? Will the price of DSLR really fall to below 1K?
    I doubt it... well, at least it won't be possible for the coming 5 years!

In fact, the memory cards shouldn't be so expensive in the first place, as the technological advancement have far surpassed the market value. However, there's a hidden agreement between the producers to release their products slowly, thus preventing a sudden deflation in pricing of their earlier (lower storage product). Think about it, a few years ago, a 32mb CF card cost more than $50. Now, most CF card cost less than $0.80 per mb!! If the 4Gb CF card start flooding the market, what would the value of the 1Gb CF card be?

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    you can get a good 2nd hand prosumer digicam for <$500, with enough megapixels and manual overrides for plenty of learning and good quality photos.
    But if you get a prosumer digicam then upgrade to a DSLR, you will suffer some loss when you upgrade. However if you get a DSLR in the first place, you will not suffer such loss

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    But if you get a prosumer digicam then upgrade to a DSLR, you will suffer some loss when you upgrade. However if you get a DSLR in the first place, you will not suffer such loss
    not necessarily... 2nd hand digicams can sometimes have very good resale value, while brand new DSLRs can depreciate in value at a frightening rate. (assuming that you will upgrade your DLSR to a better/newer model in the future).
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79
    Oh? Will the price of DSLR really fall to below 1K?
    I doubt it... well, at least it won't be possible for the coming 5 years!

well, half true lah

a 2ndhand EOS D30 shld be able to get below that price

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    not necessarily... 2nd hand digicams can sometimes have very good resale value, while brand new DSLRs can depreciate in value at a frightening rate. (assuming that you will upgrade your DLSR to a better/newer model in the future).
    Well take my case for example, I own a Sony P72, but it just last year at about $599, and now the value or bew P72 is about $400++, so if i were to sell it, I would make a lost of about $200++.

Well I don't think you will need to upgrade your DSLR very often as the thing that you would upgrade would probably be the lens, etc. Just my own personal thinking, correct me if I am wrong.

Default Back

Hallo I'm back from all my projects.Actually this logging in is just a short break before i continue...

ANYWAY. Based on all your kind advice, i scouted around for possible prosumer cams.Two things kept popping up:
    Canon A70, Canon G3 and CanonS50.

Sebastian, i remember u suggesting in a chat that A40 and A80 are good.

What do u guys think about it?

Lemme juz give a little context about myself:I've been using an Olympus P&S for 1 yr and would like to upgrade my skills but starting on manual functions.Don't know anythg about shooting with SLR. Like to experiment with angles.

Appreciate all ur advice

Quote Originally Posted by usherer
    Hallo I'm back from all my projects.Actually this logging in is just a short break before i continue...

ANYWAY. Based on all your kind advice, i scouted around for possible prosumer cams.Two things kept popping up:
    Canon A70, Canon G3 and CanonS50.

Sebastian, i remember u suggesting in a chat that A40 and A80 are good.

What do u guys think about it?

Lemme juz give a little context about myself:I've been using an Olympus P&S for 1 yr and would like to upgrade my skills but starting on manual functions.Don't know anythg about shooting with SLR. Like to experiment with angles.

Appreciate all ur advice
    Canon has already come up with A75 or wat dun remember the name, so u may wanna wait for that if u r keen on A70.

m3csl, thanks.will take note of that.

would u recommend Olympus or other cameras instead of canon?

I had that whole list based on the stuff going around in the forum.Either it's selective attenntion or I really havent heard much hooha about olympus. Panasonic seems to kena slammed juz as much as they have praises

Hi usherer,

I currently own the A80 . Its a pretty good camera for its price . However , it doesn't offer you a hotshoe for an external flash unit.

The external flash unit is very useful in a lot of low light situations.

Recommend you spend a bit more at least you will not need to upgrade you digicam so fast.

Recommend the G(X) series camera or the pro1 (successor to the G series but really ex) if you are going for canon

A website you can refer to for camera review

http://www.dpreview.com

Hope that helps
    Last edited by coca88; 27th March 2004 at 03:21 AM.

2nd hand G2/3

or buy another 2nd hand digicam with manual controls
    after you have outgrown that cam, then go for dslr

tried and tested path
    works for 90% of users

do you want to risk that 10%??

i myself, got a s45 abt 1 yr ago
    and going to get a 2nd hand d60 soon.

will still be keeping the s45 for times where compact is a factor, so dun ask me if i selling :P

it's actually a gamble
    A
    1)buy digicam
    2)sell digicam at loss of $200
    3)buy dslr

B
    1)buy dslr
    at which point you either go
    i)dslr fully utilised. saved $200
    ii)dslr under utilised. lose $500

meaning to say you are using $500 to bet for $200. worth it?

*values are estimated based on my situation*

Quote Originally Posted by zodnm
    i myself, got a s45 abt 1 yr ago
    and going to get a 2nd hand d60 soon.

will still be keeping the s45 for times where compact is a factor, so dun ask me if i selling :P

it's actually a gamble
    A
    1)buy digicam
    2)sell digicam at loss of $200
    3)buy dslr

B
    1)buy dslr
    at which point you either go
    i)dslr fully utilised. saved $200
    ii)dslr under utilised. lose $500

meaning to say you are using $500 to bet for $200. worth it?

*values are estimated based on my situation*

why not:
    1. Buy DigiCam
    2. Buy DSLR and Keep the DigiCam cos u won't wanna hog ur DSLR Everywhere?

Mine is your scenario 2 above... thou, also thinking of getting a P&S digicam... good to slot into my jacket when I'm snowboarding in melb...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by lingfoo
    why not:
    1. Buy DigiCam
    2. Buy DSLR and Keep the DigiCam cos u won't wanna hog ur DSLR Everywhere?

Mine is your scenario 2 above... thou, also thinking of getting a P&S digicam... good to slot into my jacket when I'm snowboarding in melb...

to Zod n Lingfoo- EXACTLY.u outlined my dilemma- buy digicam first then resell or buy DSLR.

hey zod,am actually in NTU too. Nwae, the pt is that:looking at the situation, it seems to me it's most feasible to buy a prosumer first then buy DSLR later on in life...

but say i buy a canon 300 now, the quality should still be there right? How r u all prediciting the market later on this yr n next? Dont wanna kill myself if a better n cheaper DLSR emerges in Dec.

Nwae, THANKS lingfoo.Didnt need ya rubbing in thefact u can afford to get both!

So summary for 27/3/04: get G(X) series.

ANyone else wanna add to that?

Anyone wanna contribute and promote Panasonic or Nikon or my dear old Olympus??

Nwae, THANKS lingfoo.Didnt need ya rubbing in thefact u can afford to get both!
    Just marginal... the point is, have equipment tat suits u, and use it whenever u can... life's full of passing moments that u might not see again... so capture it...

Just got my 300D, will get fried by me gf if get another P&S cam soo soon... probably next Aussie Winter...
    Last edited by lingfoo; 27th March 2004 at 02:45 PM.

what i can say is, buy 2nd hand

unless u targetting the 1d markII..............

m3csl, thanks.will take note of that.

would u recommend Olympus or other cameras instead of canon?

I had that whole list based on the stuff going around in the forum.Either it's selective attenntion or I really havent heard much hooha about olympus. Panasonic seems to kena slammed juz as much as they have praises
    Err...i'm a newbie myself so cant realli comment. I just bought a panasonic camera and to me the quality is quite good to me already. My fren has a olympus camera and the quaility is top notch too though xd cards r just slightly more ex...

hahah!! sorry m3csl, if i dashed any hopes for ur panasonic.those comments were based on what i got as i surfed thru this forum.
    But like i said, there were panasonic defenders.

and how relaible is it getting 2nd hand cams? COz techno gadgets are things that require say 1 day or 1 wk of testing b4 u realise if there's anything wrong with it. For example, the functions may not work after 1 hr of use.

U all get ur stuff from yahoo auctions?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast