Thread: how to photograph light rays

Default how to photograph light rays

Hi,

Anybody knoe how to achieve effect of capturing light rays? As in similar to those where the rays slip through the small openings of forest canopy...and you get rays of light...

Is it necessary to use extra filters like ND, polarizer or something?

Thanks thanks!

the surrounding area in which u r in should be relatively dim/low light for such effects to be mroe possible

try to hide the sun behind a tree or branch to enhance the rays of light. it helps if there's a wee bit of mist or vapour in the air as the light reflecting off this accentuates the rays.

something like this...

Last edited by patch17; 21st February 2004 at 11:19 AM.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

if your eye can see it, your film should be able to see it too... just get the exposure right and spot meter for a midtone... a matrix or evaluative meter might be fooled. so just be safe... and bracket for added security.

Icic...

Thanks all for the replies!!

you may wish to try your luck at Labardor Park on a cloudy day in late afternoon.....you can get very good sun rays out at the open sea area.
    happy hunting.....

Hi. I've got a suggestion. If morning mist is low, do it like what they do in movies, create smoke. Rays get reflected in the dust partickles of smoke. You'll get the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by BoONBa
    Hi. I've got a suggestion. If morning mist is low, do it like what they do in movies, create smoke. Rays get reflected in the dust partickles of smoke. You'll get the same effect.
    burn joss sticks to create smoke.......

Quote Originally Posted by BoONBa
    hey not a bad idea actually...the smoke will also enhance the mood...but safety first =)

don't you need small F numbers too? i thought they are suppose to give the light ray becoming star like effect?

use manual settings and try to gauge? i always do that for this kind of shots