Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airport security discussion thread

Default Re: Airport security discussion thread

According to the Consumerist, you cannot bring any electronic devices into the cabin when flying in to the US.

http://consumerist.com/2009/12/next-...puterless.html

If strictly enforced, you'll have to check in your laptop and dSLR. Buy a lot of insurance if you are flying there, and back up your computers. Better still, don't go to the US.

oops, looks like Consumerist may have over-stated the restrictions. According to Gizmodo, it's all right to bring them on board, but stricter rules apply when using them.

http://gizmodo.com/5434592/the-new-t...security-rules

Default Re: Thieves

Quote Originally Posted by teowws View Post
    won't be surprise soon there will be a total liquid BAN or in the future everyone will be lock in a cell onboard the plane
    Put everyone naked in coffins.

http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/news/2...ne_attack.html

Singapore Airlines
    Singapore Airlines introduced strict new rules for flights to the US.
    "One hour before the plane lands at a US airport, all passengers must be seated and should not have any baggage near them or be covered with any blanket. The in-flight entertainment system will also be turned off," a company spokesman as quoted by The New Straits Times as saying.
    Cathay Pacific
    Hong Kong carrier Cathay Pacific said it had banned US-bound passengers from using cabin phones.
    Korean Air
    South Korea's Korean Air banned passengers from using phones or the Internet during US-bound flights.
    Airport security measures
    New Zealand said passengers flying to the US were being separated from other travellers for additional checks.
    Measures have heaped extra hours onto check-in times.
    In Japan, authorities urged passengers to allow for more time at the airport because the tightened security would lead to delays.
    "The extra measures will apply throughout the world on all flights to the US for an unlimited duration," NST quoted the office of the Dutch national coordinator against terrorism as saying.
    "It will involve, for example, frisking passengers and extra checks on hand baggage," spokesman Judith Sluiter said, adding the measures came into force on Saturday morning in Holland.
    In the US, the Department of Homeland Security tightened security checks for passengers on all domestic and international flights, putting additional screening measures into place.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

"Singapore Airlines
    "One hour before the plane lands at a US airport, all passengers must be seated and should not have any baggage near them or be covered with any blanket. The in-flight entertainment system will also be turned off," a company spokesman as quoted by The New Straits Times as saying."

I wonder does that means i can't have my backpack put under the front seat? Sometimes its hard to find available space on overhead compartment and i don't like the idea to put my stuffs on another faraway compartment which i don't have LOS.

Quote Originally Posted by teowws View Post
    "Singapore Airlines
    "One hour before the plane lands at a US airport, all passengers must be seated and should not have any baggage near them or be covered with any blanket. The in-flight entertainment system will also be turned off," a company spokesman as quoted by The New Straits Times as saying."

I wonder does that means i can't have my backpack put under the front seat? Sometimes its hard to find available space on overhead compartment and i don't like the idea to put my stuffs on another faraway compartment which i don't have LOS.
    I wonder how effective this restriction is going to be. Plain kneejerk reaction. The 1 hr seemed arbitrary cos this time the bomber tried to detonate the bomb about 45 min from landing. What is there to stop anyone from trying to detonate the bomb 2 hours before landing?
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

knee jerk is absuolutely right.

Not a good time to visit USA.

I'm flying out on Sunday...

If you like can let you all know what the experience is like.

What is going to suck is 1hr before the plane lands, the entertainment system is going to be turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post

What is going to suck is 1hr before the plane lands, the entertainment system is going to be turned off.
    Can't you listen to your ipod?
    CS says, "We can't help you ignore yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post

and the fact that u can't pee or poo also, guess everyone got to do it on the spot if call of nature is desparate

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    Can't you listen to your ipod?
    u can do nothing during the last hour not even blink an eye lol

What is the logic behind the 1-hour to landing restriction? Can a bomb not be ignited in mid- air, or after take off? If that devil had tried to ignite the bomb in the toilet in mid-air, does it mean that no one can go take a dump in mid air?

So much for all the think tanks and intelligence at the homeland security department.We are so bloody reactive and are simply attacking the symptons only. It is as if the 1-hour restriction will solve the terrorist problem in the air.

Why do we always have to played into the hands of the bloody terrorists. Everytime I stand in line without my shoes, my belt, etc to clear the security clearance at US airports, I cannot help but imagine that Al Queda must be laughting their heads off at these stupid men and women in smart business suits without shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by kkgoxplore View Post
    What is the logic behind the 1-hour to landing restriction? Can a bomb not be ignited in mid- air, or after take off? If that devil had tried to ignite the bomb in the toilet in mid-air, does it mean that no one can go take a dump in mid air?

So much for all the think tanks and intelligence at the homeland security department.We are so bloody reactive and are simply attacking the symptons only. It is as if the 1-hour restriction will solve the terrorist problem in the air.

Why do we always have to played into the hands of the bloody terrorists. Everytime I stand in line without my shoes, my belt, etc to clear the security clearance at US airports, I cannot help but imagine that Al Queda must be laughting their heads off at these stupid men and women in smart business suits without shoes!
    Well if the US Intelligence Agency really "On the Ball" things like that won't be necessary, their TSA is a failure judging from all the negative experience gotten after TSA take charge...stuffs in baggage gone due to TSA staffs helping themselves to valuables and why are we all have to yield to many ridiculous TSA rules
    Last edited by teowws; 29th December 2009 at 01:58 PM.

Default Canada bans most carry-on luggage

http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/news/2...n_luggage.html

"
    TORONTO - Canadian officials banned most carry-on luggage for U.S. bound passengers following a Christmas Day attack on a U.S. airliner.
    Transport Canada said Monday passengers may only carry medical devices, small purses, cameras, laptop computers, canes, walkers, diaper bags, musical instruments and bags containing "life-sustaining items."
    Transport Canada said in a statement they are trying to alleviate the backlog at security checkpoints. Police are now helping with security at the nation's airports after Transport Canada requested assistance.
    Authorities are also performing a secondary search of passengers after they pass the main security check point.
    It says the measures are expected to remain in place at for several days."
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Yah lah...

can tell you all how the whole experience went...

including whether did anyone **** or pee in their pants....

so on and so forth...

These so-called "new" policies... they might as well handcuff, blindfold and gag us when we board the flight. =_=

Ridiculous policies...

Side track a bit: Anyone watched Harold & Kumar? :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv3kz...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM8pe-OLi6w (NSFW, coarse language)

Quote Originally Posted by andretan View Post
    These so-called "new" policies... they might as well handcuff, blindfold and gag us when we board the flight. =_=

Ridiculous policies...

Side track a bit: Anyone watched Harold & Kumar? :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv3kz...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM8pe-OLi6w (NSFW, coarse language)
    hahah...and when comes to meal, the flight stewardess have to feed us personally...hmmm doesn't that sounds great...

News:
    We can get visas for India on arrival now:

Security Situation Updates

India

Further changes to visa issuance procedures announced

Created: January 01, 2010 16:37 GMT
    Updated: January 01, 2010 18:29 GMT

The government on 1 January implemented revised visa procedures for passport holders from Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, Luxembourg and Finland. Visitors from these countries will now be permitted to purchase visas on arrival at airports in Chennai (Tamil Nadu state), Mumbai (Maharashtra state), Kolkata (West Bengal state) and the federal capital New Delhi. The 30-day tourist visas will cost INR 2,800 (US$60). Officials will assess whether the traveller has sufficient funds to sustain their stay before issuing the visa
    The announcement comes after the government on 24 December 2009 relaxed new tourist visa regulations announced on 22 December 2009, following diplomatic protests from several countries. Foreign nationals wishing to re-enter India on a multiple-entry visa within two months of their departure – after a visit that has exceeded 90 days – or if they have been in the country for more than 180 days in the past 12 months, will be permitted to re-enter the country three times provided that they submit a detailed itinerary and supporting documents at immigration checkpoints upon arrival. Furthermore, those returning to India within two months of their last departure must register with the Foreigners Regional Registration Office ( FRRO) within two weeks of their arrival.
    Comment and Analysis
    The new ‘visa on arrival' regulations are part of a pilot project and will initially run for one year. They are intended to benefit business travellers and help boost economic ties. This is the first time the country has permitted visitors to have their passports stamped on entry.
    The changes to the multiple-entry tourist (T) visas do not affect those visitors whose stay has not extended beyond the prescribed limit of 90 days and will not apply to holders of other categories of visas. The tightening of tourist visa regulations was followed by diplomatic protests. The initial amendment followed recent revelations that a suspect in the November 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks had conducted several reconnaissance visits to the country on a multiple-entry tourist visa.

Travel Advice
    India 4a

Default Airport pat-downs often ineffective security stop

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100101/..._of_a_pat_down

By MICHAEL TARM, Associated Press Writer Michael Tarm, Associated Press Writer Fri Jan 1, 12:43 pm ET
    CHICAGO With all the screening technology at U.S. airports, the last line of defense is still the human hand: the pat-down search.
    But aviation experts say the pat-down is often ineffective, in part because of government rules covering where screeners can put their hands and how frequently they can frisk passengers. As a result, even if the man accused of trying to blow up a Detroit-bound U.S. jetliner on Christmas Day got an airport pat-down, it probably wouldn't have found the explosives authorities say were hidden in his crotch.
    "To have people hold up their arms and just pat them like I'm really going to carry a bomb there," said industry analyst Michael Boyd, arguing that pat-downs were often of little value. "You know where you're going to put it, and no one's going to go there."
    Most travelers at U.S. airports never get a pat-down when they pass through security. A metal detector must be set off first and then screeners would need to find out what triggered the alarm. That often amounts to screeners just lightly tapping on a passenger's arms, legs and clothes.
    But even if they go ahead with a pat-down, it likely would not turn up something nonmetallic, small and well-hidden.
    Unlike the frisking of suspects conducted by police which involves officers running their hands firmly up and down the body, including sensitive areas like the groin, buttocks and breasts the pat-downs at airports usually involve, well, patting down.
    A flood of complaints by women prompted the Transportation Security Administration in 2004 to list 'dos' and 'don'ts' on pat-downs, including barring screeners from touching female passengers between their breasts. The TSA hasn't publicly released that list.
    But a report by the Government Accountability Office, which said federal investigators were able to smuggle liquid explosives and detonators past security at U.S. airports, appeared to prompt some changes last year in pat-down policies.
    In one instance cited in the report, an investigator placed coins in his pockets to ensure he'd receive a secondary screening. But after a pat-down and use of a hand-held metal detector, the screener didn't catch the prohibited items the investigator brought through a checkpoint.
    The TSA last year decided to permit what it describes as "enhanced pat-downs" that include breast and groin searches. But these could be done only under limited circumstances and only after the use of metal detectors, less invasive pat-downs and all other tools had been exhausted.
    Still, even in those cases, screeners must use the back of their hands when touching the groin area and breasts, according to the TSA.
    "This new procedure will affect a very small percentage of travelers, but it is a critical element in ensuring the safety of the flying public," the agency said in a statement on its Web site.
    Since the Dec. 25 incident, some have been calling for more pat-downs at airports. But sensitivities on all sides mean any push for more frequent, thorough pat-downs would likely meet fierce resistance.
    "People just wouldn't stand for it. You wouldn't. I wouldn't," said Gerry Berry, a Florida-based airport security expert.
    Fearful of lawsuits or allegations of molestation, many screeners at airports would be the most resistant of all, said Boyd.
    "You'll have people yelling, 'He grabbed me! He groped me!'" he said. "You don't want that job."
    TSA spokesman Greg Soule declined to discuss the agency's pat-down rules or any directives to airports, including whether the agency has ordered stepped-up pat-downs at U.S. airports since last week.

"Pat-downs are one layer of security in a multifaceted security system," he said.
    The TSA, he added, was aware of concerns surrounding pat-downs.
    "I would say that security is TSA's No. 1 priority while balancing the privacy of all passengers," he said. It's possible that pat-downs may become more frequent in airports as the use of full-body scanning machines expands. The high-tech machines are in use at a handful of airports; the TSA just bought 150 and plans to buy 300 more. But passengers can opt for a physical pat-down instead of being scanned.

Default Security upgrade targets 14 countries

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...0104-lq6n.html

"
    WASHINGTON: Australians flying to the US are likely to face more vigorous screening, including pat-down searches, special bag searches and explosives screening after the US announced on Sunday that it was enhancing airline security from midnight.
    More travellers from most countries will undergo enhanced screening, such as explosives trace swabs, body searches and, where available, body imaging. But all residents of 14 countries, and travellers flying from them, will be intensively screened, including pat-downs and bag searches.
    The measures apply to all ''passengers with passports from, or itineraries through, state sponsors of terrorism and countries of interest'', the US Transport Safety Authority said.
    The countries specified as sponsors of terrorism are Cuba, Iran, Sudan and Syria. Countries considered prone to terrorism are Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Iraq, Algeria, Somalia, Libya, Yemen and Afghanistan.
    The upgraded security is in response to the attempted bombing of Northwest Airlines flight 253 from Amsterdam to Detroit on Christmas Day. A Nigerian, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, who said he trained with al-Qaeda in Yemen, has been charged with attempting to blow up the plane with an explosive sewn into his underwear.
    The upgrade came as the Continental Airlines terminal at Newark Airport, outside New York, went into lockdown on Sunday night and flights were grounded after security video footage showed a person passing through an exit lane to a secure area, avoiding screening. The person could not be found.
    All passengers were returned to the ticketing area for rescreening and flights were grounded.
    The security breach occurred on one of the busiest evenings of the year, as Americans returned from their Christmas break.
    The President, Barack Obama, returned from Hawaii to Washington overnight on Sunday and was expected to spend yesterday with his security and intelligence advisers, and the heads of agencies, reviewing the findings of an investigation into how Mr Abdulmutallab was not detected, and the situation in Yemen.
    It is possible the US will encourage the Yemeni Government to launch further strikes against al-Qaeda targets in Yemen but two strikes before Christmas may already have dispersed the leadership of the terrorist group.
    Acknowledging the heightened threat that al-Qaeda in Yemen now poses, the US and Britain shut their embassies in the capital, Sana'a, on Sunday, with the US citing ''ongoing threats by al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula,'' the regional branch that has claimed responsibility for the failed Christmas Day bomb attempt.
    ''Until the Yemeni Government gets on top of the situation with al-Qaeda, there is a risk of attacks,'' the White House deputy national security adviser, John Brennan, said on Sunday.
    There were indications that al-Qaeda was planning to carry out an attack in Sana'a, Mr Brennan said. ''I spoke with our ambassador down there, ambassador Seche, this morning, as well as last night. Both the US and the British embassies have been closed to give the Yemeni Government an opportunity to thwart that threat and the plans that are afoot right now from al-Qaeda.''
    Al Qaeda had several hundred members in Yemen, he said.
    The Obama Administration is under pressure from Republicans and some Democrats over the repatriation of Yemenis being held in the prison at Guantanamo Bay.
    Two Yemenis who were released by the Bush administration were later found to have returned to fight with al-Qaeda in Yemen. Six transferred by the Obama Administration are being held indefinitely in a Yemeni prison, but the Administration faces a political and logistical challenge over what to do with the remaining 90 Yemeni detainees who are unikely to face charges.
    PASSPORT PROFILING The new system treats people differently based on their nationality or the country they are travelling from.
    INTENSIVE SCREENING for citizens of 14 countries - or travellers flying to the US from them - will be enforced at airports worldwide. The countries are Cuba, Iran, Sudan and Syria (considered ''state sponsors of terrorism'' by the US), Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Afghanistan, Algeria, Lebanon, Libya, Iraq, Somalia and Yemen (considered ''countries of interest'' by the US).
    EASED CONDITIONS Americans and most nationalities who do not fly through the 14 countries on their way to the US will no longer automatically face the intensified security imposed after the attempted Christmas Day inflight bombing. The restrictions remain tougher than rules in effect before December 25."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast