Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: ways of resizing large images

  1. #1

    Default ways of resizing large images

    Hi Guys

    Need help to understand how we go about resizing images. Using 24mp and find it hard to Upload to photobucket or send emails with it as the files are very very large.
    Also, if we resize the images, will it effect the picture quality when/if we are going to print poster size images...help help help...

  2. #2

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Resizing will affect the images quailty.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Use Faststone Image Resizer

    http://www.faststone.org/download.htm

  4. #4

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Hi ezhub

    if it does effect the image quality, it means i still have to keep the original size into the ext. hard drive. Is that right, bro???

    To diavonex
    Tanx for the link bro, but will that work on a Macbook Pro ???

    Thank you very much in Advanced for the tips/advice guys...cheers
    Merry Xmas....

  5. #5
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
    Hi ezhub

    if it does effect the image quality, it means i still have to keep the original size into the ext. hard drive. Is that right, bro???

    To diavonex
    Tanx for the link bro, but will that work on a Macbook Pro ???

    Thank you very much in Advanced for the tips/advice guys...cheers
    Merry Xmas....
    It's for Windows only; a 1TB external HD only cost $150.

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Any image editor can resize your image. But keep the original in case you need it.

    There are several options available for you to choose when resizing (smaller).

    I personally use Bicubic. And when i convert to jpg I use progressive. But that is just me.

  7. #7

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Well Faststone does not work for Mac...

    Any other alternatives?
    I do use Photobucket to store some images whenever i need to use email to send Images. When I was using Windows, I had ShrinkPics for software and that resizes automatically whenever i send images thru email. But unfortunately I can't find any for the Mac...Hmmm

    Problem with ext. HD 1TB is they are bulky and inconvenient since I travel alot. So I use 2x500GB instead which, by the way, is cheaper n more convenient in size and no power supply to worry about, just plug n play...hehehehe

    Million Tanx Diavonex, daredevil123 & ezhub for the ideas and tips you share. Hope to know u guys even better. Cheers and stay away from too much Boooooze Merry Xmas again

  8. #8

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    I usw Photoshop CS4, File/Scripts/Image Processor...
    There are options on how large or small you want your outputs should be, it basically makes a resized copy of your photos.

  9. #9

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    when ur resize from a 4000++ by 2000++ to a 1600 by 1200 resolution

    are your really able to see the difference on ur e.g. 22" LCD screen?
    D90|10-24mm f3.5-4.5G|70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G|18-105mm VR f/3.5-5.6G|35mm f/1.8|SB700|MB-D80

  10. #10

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    I find that on-screen, all is based on 72dpi screen resolution, you cant spot the difference. Just that the larger 3000-4000 file can be zoomed in much more than the 1000 pixels file, that's all. You'll find that even if you resize an image to 1dpi and compare it with another 72dpi or 300dpi file on screen, there's virtually no different. (except for the zooming-in part where you decide for your viewers how big the file you want them to download and zoom-in and maybe save for printing). If it's just for on-screen viewing, NO DIFF. That's what I found out.

  11. #11

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Quote Originally Posted by chua beng View Post
    I find that on-screen, all is based on 72dpi screen resolution, you cant spot the difference. Just that the larger 3000-4000 file can be zoomed in much more than the 1000 pixels file, that's all. You'll find that even if you resize an image to 1dpi and compare it with another 72dpi or 300dpi file on screen, there's virtually no different. (except for the zooming-in part where you decide for your viewers how big the file you want them to download and zoom-in and maybe save for printing). If it's just for on-screen viewing, NO DIFF. That's what I found out.
    thats what i observe too...
    D90|10-24mm f3.5-4.5G|70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G|18-105mm VR f/3.5-5.6G|35mm f/1.8|SB700|MB-D80

  12. #12

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Quote Originally Posted by chua beng View Post
    I find that on-screen, all is based on 72dpi screen resolution, you cant spot the difference. Just that the larger 3000-4000 file can be zoomed in much more than the 1000 pixels file, that's all. You'll find that even if you resize an image to 1dpi and compare it with another 72dpi or 300dpi file on screen, there's virtually no different. (except for the zooming-in part where you decide for your viewers how big the file you want them to download and zoom-in and maybe save for printing). If it's just for on-screen viewing, NO DIFF. That's what I found out.
    Erm, DPI has no effect when viewing photos on LCD screens obviously, the pixel size of your screen is already fixed. It has virtually no use in discussing on-screen viewing. It's used when discussing printing.

    Ask where would the image most likely be published. If it is going to be printed, do keep the full resolution file. If it is only going to be viewed on a screen, you can probably resize it to maybe 10-12mp, which is still larger than what most screens would display.
    Last edited by Pupster; 28th December 2009 at 04:34 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    If you just want to resize.
    my advice will be just lower your camera mp.
    Like that will save you time and space.

    But if you are going to crop your pix.
    Will be better using photos editing software.
    There are many software in the market
    so denpending what you want.

  14. #14

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
    Hi Guys

    Need help to understand how we go about resizing images. Using 24mp and find it hard to Upload to photobucket or send emails with it as the files are very very large.
    Also, if we resize the images, will it effect the picture quality when/if we are going to print poster size images...help help help...
    For viewing, IMHO... no difference between a 3MP and a 24MP image.

    For printing wise, you can just do some simple calculations for picture size vs print size. Say, you would like to make a 8R (8 x 10 inch) print at 300dpi, then you need 2400x3000 = 7.2MP
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Bishan
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
    Well Faststone does not work for Mac...

    Any other alternatives?
    I do use Photobucket to store some images whenever i need to use email to send Images. When I was using Windows, I had ShrinkPics for software and that resizes automatically whenever i send images thru email. But unfortunately I can't find any for the Mac...Hmmm

    Problem with ext. HD 1TB is they are bulky and inconvenient since I travel alot. So I use 2x500GB instead which, by the way, is cheaper n more convenient in size and no power supply to worry about, just plug n play...hehehehe

    Million Tanx Diavonex, daredevil123 & ezhub for the ideas and tips you share. Hope to know u guys even better. Cheers and stay away from too much Boooooze Merry Xmas again
    if you are using mac, you can simply use the built in automator script to resize, quite convenient. Simply drag and drop the photos you need to resize onto the automator script icon and the pics are resized. Can't get simpler than tt =) Catch is, you can decide on the quality of the resized jpg though the outcome seems decent to me.

  16. #16
    Member thenomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    448

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    try using a smaller MP count, there should be an option to set that from your camera

    alternatively, if you shoot RAW, you can resize your images before converting to JPEG. so you can crop and/or resize until you have the desired image dimension

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere near you.Look behind
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Hi GUys

    Ok here is my question.

    I shot a photo on a 12.1 mega pixel camera.

    My uncle plans to print a photo to at least 8R size... I am editing the photo in photoshop... so my image settings(in photoshop) i have not changed....below is the settings....

    Setting 1 (Original)
    Pixel Dimensions: 34.8M
    Width: 2848
    Height: 4272
    -------
    Document Size:
    Width: 39.556
    Height: 59.33
    Resolution: 72 dpi
    -------

    Are these settings ok for me to print 8R?? Or do I have to change my resolution to 300 dpi?? if i do my setting change to this below...

    Setting 2
    Pixel Dimensions: 604.4M
    Width: 11 867
    Height: 17 801
    -------
    Document Size:
    Width: 39.556
    Height: 59.33
    Resolution: 72 dpi
    --------

    But as can see the final file size is HUGE.... so I changed the document size and maintained the dpi at 300 and got these settings...

    Setting 3
    Pixel Dimensions: 34.8M
    Width: 2848
    Height: 4272
    -------
    Document Size:
    Width: 9.493
    Height: 14.24
    Resolution: 300 dpi
    --------

    So which setting should i use??

    Thanks for your time!

    Regards
    Siva

  18. #18

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
    Hi Guys

    Need help to understand how we go about resizing images. Using 24mp and find it hard to Upload to photobucket or send emails with it as the files are very very large.
    Also, if we resize the images, will it effect the picture quality when/if we are going to print poster size images...help help help...
    if you sharpen it properly when resizing , no, picture quality will not be affected. i make this statement assuming a DOWNSIZING

    but it depends on what size you printing.

    if print small small size in shop, you use 24mgp is overkill..

  19. #19

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Quote Originally Posted by biggorilla View Post
    ...12.1 mega pixel camera.....print a photo to at least 8R size... editing the photo in photoshop...

    Setting 1 (Original)
    Width: 2848
    Height: 4272
    Resolution: 72 dpi

    Are these settings ok for me to print 8R?? Or do I have to change my resolution to 300 dpi?? ...which setting should i use??
    For simplicity , 8R photograph (i.e. 8" x 10") requires minimum 2,400 pixels by 3,000 pixels. An image of 2,848 pixels by 4,272 pixels has exceed the typical minimum requirement for 8R photo. This applies to the image encoded with 72 or 180 or 300 dpi setting.

  20. #20

    Default Re: ways of resizing large images

    Wow

    This is really confusing guys...
    Hmmm, will this help...
    What i meant, from my post, was just to down size for the convenience of emailing them to friends or whoever... Just like having ShrinkPics on Windows...

    And as for printing...probably Poster Size, hence if I resize for storage, will it have any effects if I Print them out after resizing???

    To Litewing
    Hi there...that sounds interesting to use the automator script. Never knew what it was for.
    Is it really that easy to use ??? I'll try it out soon...tanx again bros

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •