Thread: off camera flash(es)

Default off camera flash(es)

for some reason, buying an expensive flash, i.e. 430ex II speedlite, and putting it in front of the camera doesn't appeal the bang for the buck for me.

I was wondering if anybody can help me. I have this friend who has a radio trigger with two transmitters and using two 285-HV vivitars. I think it was 16 channels or something. He didn't buy it here in SG. From what I have know, the total cost is still lesser than 430ex II speedlite.

Anybody who bought the same setup here in Singapore? Please tell me where to buy and how much.

It would also be helpful if somebody will share that a 430ex II is still a better option.

Default Re: off camera flash(es)

Quote Originally Posted by niftybracket View Post
    for some reason, buying an expensive flash, i.e. 430ex II speedlite, and putting it in front of the camera doesn't appeal the bang for the buck for me.

I was wondering if anybody can help me. I have this friend who has a radio trigger with two transmitters and using two 285-HV vivitars. I think it was 16 channels or something. He didn't buy it here in SG. From what I have know, the total cost is still lesser than 430ex II speedlite.

Anybody who bought the same setup here in Singapore? Please tell me where to buy and how much.

It would also be helpful if somebody will share that a 430ex II is still a better option.

why don't you ask your fren who is using that set up?
    430EX II better options? simple set up, compact, i-TTL compatible..
    and by the way, it can also be used as off camera flash(slave) if you are using a 7D

I have both, the Vivitar is probably the most bang for the buck (pun intended), but its manual settings is quite crude as it has only 1 stop adjustments and strangely no 1/8th power setting.. So it goes from 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/16 power whereas the 430EXII gives you a 6 stop range from 1/1 to 1/64 with 1/3 increments.. Also the Vivitar has an oversized flash head, so its difficult to find accessories that can be mounted on it, ie diffuser caps, gels, softboxes etc, and its much bigger in size than the 430EXII so it'll take up considerable space in your bag. Lack of swivel head makes it clumbersome to use it on camera if you so choose to, it has a thrysistor mode that automatically adjusts its own power settings but can't be compared to modern metering systems.. The 430EXII is much more at home on top of a camera, you won't be fumbling around with figuring out flash exposures and such..

Hope this helps..

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    I have both, the Vivitar is probably the most bang for the buck (pun intended), but its manual settings is quite crude as it has only 1 stop adjustments and strangely no 1/8th power setting.. So it goes from 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/16 power whereas the 430EXII gives you a 6 stop range from 1/1 to 1/64 with 1/3 increments.. Also the Vivitar has an oversized flash head, so its difficult to find accessories that can be mounted on it, ie diffuser caps, gels, softboxes etc, and its much bigger in size than the 430EXII so it'll take up considerable space in your bag. Lack of swivel head makes it clumbersome to use it on camera if you so choose to, it has a thrysistor mode that automatically adjusts its own power settings but can't be compared to modern metering systems.. The 430EXII is much more at home on top of a camera, you won't be fumbling around with figuring out flash exposures and such..

Hope this helps..
    would this radio trigger be OK? anybody who could share experience?
    Newest PT04III Dual Flash Trigger
    http://www.artworkfoto.com/wireless_trigger.html

if you want really cheap you can just get optical slaves, so you don't even need a 7D (or a D80) and above to trigger...

you can get 2nd hand sunblitz Ai829TWs for <$70 each (i.e. a handful of Ai829s = 1 canon speedlight), with bounce/swivel and optical slaves. theyre really light-weight too.. only trouble is like the CSer aboved alr said- no TTL is hell to use when on-shoe. plenty such 'automatic' flashes out there for <100
    Last edited by aprilmoon92; 28th December 2009 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by niftybracket View Post
    You have a point there, but any other flash would look the same putting it in front of the camera, wouldn't it?
    The question is: are you willing to accept full manual mode for your flash(es) - even when mounted on the camera if required? The Mass Sales section has several offerings for radio triggers, just see what fits your bill.
    EOS