Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool and Gerard Houllier and Emile Heskey

Iron Lady playing in Liverpool Ladies Team with some acrobatics move as shown in Ong Bhak ??

I think there are a lot of people sounding very wise on hindsight in here. All very easy to comment on transfer decisions like Anelka/Diouf after the fact. At the time of the signing as I've explained, Diouf, as a striker, was the hottest property of the 2002 World Cup. If I had the benefit of hindsight, I wouldn't whinge about things, I'd go out there and make myself rich winning the lottery from a week ago.

everyone here is giving their 2.1/2 cents worth. (myself included )
    thats what this thread is about? isnt it?

btw....we didnt know fergie was such a shrewd manager till he started winning...go figure.

Incidentally, I should point out that Diouf hasn't exactly been a big success, but he is a big Kop favourite because he wears his heart on his sleeve, tries his guts out and works his socks off. Of course none of much of this makes it to the telly.

i like diouf! his transition to a right winger has been pretty good and he's really good on the ball, with great control and dribbling skills!

if only he can start to get into the first team now.
    and throw heskey up front and maybe riise on the left midfield!

just my own thoughts.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Well so was Heskey when he was still playing for Leicester.

Sometimes you just wonder why GH likes playing them out of position.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    i like diouf! his transition to a right winger has been pretty good and he's really good on the ball, with great control and dribbling skills!

if only he can start to get into the first team now.
    and throw heskey up front and maybe riise on the left midfield!

just my own thoughts.
    I think he has much greater success doing that during the World Cup.. so many times this season he brings the ball to the corner flag only to find himself surrounded by opponents...

Hi CheeseCake,

dun get me wrong here.

I think Diouf is doing quite ok in the squad. With the current players, I even believe he is the best person to play in the right flank. But again, everything come with a price tag.

He is a 11m player, thus, he should play like a 11m player.
    He was a striker, but he did not score goals. Just a simple comparison to 11m Heskey. Diouf did not even assist goal scoring like Heskey does to the team.

And now he is the wing.
    Let's look who other wing player in the top four, who is worth around the same price tag.

MU- Ronaldo 12.2m
    Arsenal - Pires 6m
    Chelsea - Duff 15m and Gronkjaer may be at 8m
    newcastle - RObert 10.5m
    Liverpool - kewell 5m (budget buy)

a 11m Diouf has to be at least at par with the performance of any of the above player. If not, i would not see his performance is acceptable.

Simple as - Is Canon 10D a good DSLR ???
    Yes, if it is on market price at SGD1600.
    No , if it is on market price SGD5,500.

think he has much greater success doing that during the World Cup..
    Diouf, as a striker, was the hottest property of the 2002 World Cup
    Italian Paolo Rossi and C La Chi were also very much success in the world cup 82, & 90 respectively. Yeah, but only in that world cup.

PLayer need to be consistant to play for a 38 match EPL. Week in week out. Not only in that particular competition.

If we only based on that world cup to judge whether a player is good, then I would say Henry and Trezeguet are both crap. None of them score a goal.
    Heskey is a much better striker compare to henry and Trezeguet, at least Heskey scored a goal and assist one goal to Owen.

maybe riise on the left midfield!
    Riise started off his football life as striker. Believe it or not ?
    The best role for him is left wing back. Not left defender, but wing back. He saied that , and he also admitted that so far he is not on form for this season. That;s why he does not play so regulary this season.
    And of course, the best player to play on left midfield is Kewell, not agree Riise can do a better job than Kewell as left midfielder.

Alex Ferguson joined MU after a failure of being manager of Scotland national team for the World Cup 86. The first 6 years , he won nothing. But the board believe consistantcy is the key for long term success. And the club was started to see result from 1992 onwards.

But why this time, I am also one of the angry fans who is calling for Houllier resign from manager post. The difference is , MU was improving year by year from 1986 to 1992.

Liverpool was doing down hill from 2 seasons ago (from winning treble and finish 2nd).

2nd season we reached quarterfinal of Champion league. 1 season ago, we knocked out in the first stage. This season, we watch Champion league in front of tv. and we are struggling to fight for the only seat leave behind in EPL.

And We are out of league and FA cup so early in the stage.

During AGM ( 1 month ago), he claimed that the 3 players he signed, Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou are not delivering results. He should rather admitted that he had made wrong investment. How can u expect and tell the world that Cheyrou is the New Zidande ????
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 24th February 2004 at 09:39 AM.

You're missing the point. I bring up the 2002 World Cup because that was when he was signed. On the basis of that, at that time, we were arguably signing one of *the* hot properties in the world. The fact that he has not lived up to that billing I agree, but then you wouldn't have known he would be a failure at the time either. Not without the benefit of hindsight, which is what I said before as well; too many people are being clever because they have history to back them up, but how clever would you be with decisions.

BTW, from your list of wingers, I'd take Diouf over Ronaldo, Gronkjaer and Robert. That leaves Pires, Duff and Kewell. If you insist on comparing figures ala your 10D example then Pires just makes everyone else look stupid (including Duff). We didn't sign Duff because we signed Kewell, it was only ever going to be one or the other. So I don't think we've done too bad all things considered. And actually, to use your 10D analogy, then Kewell makes Duff look stupid too.

too many people are being clever because they have history to back them up, but how clever would you be with decisions.
    U are right. I am not very clever with my decisions. Neither Houllier was on his summer 20m signings of Diouf ,Diao and Cheyrou. Thus, he has to bear the consequences.

I'd take Diouf over Ronaldo, Gronkjaer and Robert.
    It is very hard to debate on who is better. The best is compared the statistic performance, ie goals/no. games played, assist/no. games played.

So far for this season, Ronaldo had scored 2 goasl in his 19 games (both started and sub) , and Diouf scored non in his 19 games (both started and sub) But I dun have the assist number. Can really justify my point on this issue.

One other thing, i believe if Liverpool is to sell Diouf and MU to sell Ronaldo at the end of of season, I would see that Liverpool to make a loss on Diouf and MU might even make a profit.

Is a Veron a good player ? Sengkang FC would love to play him if we get him at SGD2m and SGD8,000 a month. But at GBP28m, he is not playing up to the standard for MU.

I look at ROI. Return on Investment.
    I also look at the amount of money invested in a player, and what the player can contribute back to them team.

[QUOTE]And actually, to use your 10D analogy, then Kewell makes Duff look stupid too.[QUOTE]

I take back my words, since we can not really take Kewell in comparison since it is a bargain budget buy because of Leeds financial mess and Bosman ruling. I would rate him at 15m winger as Duff.

But 15m Duff and 10.8 Robert and 12.2m Ronaldo is pretty much in the market price based on their performance. Ronaldo is more expensive than Ronaldo , one of the main reason - he is younger. After spending 8 years in MU, MU can still cash in some $ from Ronaldo, but after 8 years in newcastle, Robert is too old liao to play good football.

Anway, I opt out to keep debating on other teams, other players, and the analogy that I gave previously. My main concern is Liverpool.

Read from the Liverpool net today, Alan Hansen is the latest legend calling for Houllier head as well.

Hope they can get a result from the UEFA cup Thursday night.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 24th February 2004 at 10:45 AM.

See that's where you and I don't agree at all. Where did Alan Hansen call for Houllier's head? I vaguely remember the quote was along the lines of, "I've never called for a manager to be sacked and I'm not about the start now."

To each his own, at the end of the day I support the team too and I just don't think all this grumbling about managers is doing us any good whatsoever. I get to watch them twice this week so I can't complain. Whatever the result. And yes thanks to all this pressure I'll probably have to spend half of each game watching the bench too. We'll see.

Where did Alan Hansen call for Houllier's head
    Sorry, read the statemnet too fast and took it wrongly.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE OR BUST FOR HOULLIER Monday 23 February 2004| FOR
    Anfield legend Alan Hansen has called for the Liverpool players to dig in and secure Champions League football - or leave boss Gerard Houllier facing the axe.

anyway, no big issue here.

the topic is whether heskey and/or houllier should stay.

my opinion - heskey should stay, houllier should as a manager but remain as a technical director for the club to design training program for acedamy, youth, reserve and senior players. I am no against houllier. But i think we need a new manager to bring us to another level.

with so many defeats , the team might even have started to lose confidence. (look at how Own took the penalty) No team is afraid of coming to anfield nowadays.... we did not get a good result from so many home games recently....

let;s pray pray....

btw...there is a poll done yesterday,

The survey was set up by the Liverpool Daily Post and its sister paper the Liverpool Echo in the wake of the 1-0 FA Cup defeat by Portsmouth.
    They posed the question: What do you think of Gerard Houllier's position?
    And 48.58% of those who responded said he should be sacked now.
    Only 10.76 said he should be given more time.
    The revealing answers were:
    :::He should resign now - 28.40%.
    :::He should be sacked now - 48.58%.
    :::He should go at the end of the season - 12.26%.

i still believe and dream of a 4th placing for my Liverpool.

i hope i'm strong enough to carry on believing in Houllier!
    keep the dream alive!

go Liverpool go!

hey guys. good luck to your team on friday. hope they can with the uefa cup.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    hey guys. good luck to your team on friday. hope they can with the uefa cup.
    we'll thrash our opponent!!! wahahaha

thanks for ur well-wishes.

for those interested, there's always a bunch of Liverpool fans watching the live matches at the Penny Black at Boat Quay. It's the closest to watching the real thing you can get

Do join us!

Yes, we really need the blessings.

Actually, I've never been very confident in Owen's penalty taking. He's missed a fair few along the way. Apparently that's the first he's missed this season, but then I can't remember him taking that many and he's been injured so long. So it's an old problem, this penalty thing.

Actually, it can get more real. Join me

I firmly believe that liverpool needs a change of management. It is true we take risks when we make decisions, it is also true that we must bear the consequences if we make too many wrong ones.

Everyone is entitled their views, thats what makes the world interesting...

but for now....

Lets just rid the idea that liverpool is among the best in europe...

Lets just stop deciding what is good or not for the team.. what we say wont make a difference...let the pple in charge decide, they've got eyes..

Lets cheer every goal pool scores and every match they win.. starting from thursday..

Lets get behind the team!
    Last edited by laugh; 24th February 2004 at 10:23 PM.

I think Heskey is a valuable player for the team, he is hardworking and does his part as a player (maybe not as a striker).

If you read his goals tally during his first 2-3 seasons, they are superb! But we got a problem here: he is not scoring as he should, could or might have.

Why? You just have to watch Heskey playing on the left, then you will understand how not in his boots he is there.

Anyway, Houllier is messing up the positions for sure, I think he needs someone to tell him once in a while that he cannot experiment this or that and that he needs to focus on something: winning matches. He might realise that when it is too late though (when he is gone).

My two cents: Houllier should either start thinking like a sound tactician or leave for the sake of the players and the team.

Heskey should do what Houllier will not do: if the Manager goes, he stays. If the Manager stays, he goes. Because it is a waste of his skills and energy when he is misused.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast