Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13182122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool and Gerard Houllier and Emile Heskey

Yes, Jed... U are right...I read the news everywhere...from www.football365.com , from Reuteres....

If Houllier is set to leave LFC, which means not only I am the only one who is not happy with Houloeir performance, the board and the Chairman, who are in charge of the club, are also not happy.

Any news abt the replacement? Read that benitez and curbs are the favourites..

BBC has announced that a press conference will be held at 12noon BST. Its everywhere in the forums related to lfc...

I'm relived that he's going - but not estactic. Ged is a good man, just that he failed to deliver...

Taken from www.bbc.co.uk

Last Updated: Monday, 24 May, 2004, 07:11 GMT 08:11 UK

Houllier to leave Liverpool

Exclusive by Phil McNulty
    Chief football writer

Liverpool will announce the departure of manager Gerard Houllier on Monday, BBC Sport has learned.

Houllier's Anfield reign is scheduled to end with official confirmation from the club at 1200 BST.

He arrived at Anfield in the summer of 1998 and took sole charge from Roy Evans later that season.

Liverpool will start the search for his successor immediately, with Charlton's Alan Curbishley and Valencia coach Rafael Benitez the early favourites.

However, the agent of Valencia chief Benitez told BBC Sport on Sunday that Liverpool had not made contact with his client.

Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish had been linked with a return to the club, but BBC Sport understands this is unlikely.

Houllier has paid the price for Liverpool failing to mount a serious title challenge last season, even though he guided the club into the Champions League.

It brings to an end a tenure that enjoyed its major successes, with the FA Cup, Uefa Cup and Worthington Cup won in 2001.

Houllier also won the Worthington Cup in 2003 with a 2-0 win against Manchester United, but he has been the subject of fierce criticism this season.

Liverpool have yet to formally start the search for his successor, with the Anfield hierarchy determined to avoid getting into a long-running saga of the kind which has engulfed Chelsea.
    Last edited by charvy; 24th May 2004 at 04:47 PM.

Dun get me wrong Jed, I am nothing personal against Houllier (i dun know him)
    I even appreciate what he had achieved for the club in his 5 years service for the club.

But if I feel that if we want to improve and go to another higher standard to compete with Arsenal, MU , Chelsea, we need a new manager to bring us there.

When Houllier took over from Evans, he asked for a 5 year period to take the team of which is capable to seriously challenge the tittle. THis is his fifth year in charge. We are 30 points behind the EPL champion.

I am indeed much looking forward who is our new manager rather than Houllier is set the club.

I am more concerned about the welfare of the Club.

According to www.football365.com...Celtic manager Martin O'Neill, Charlton's highly-rated Alan Curbishley and Valencia coach Rafael Benitez have all been reported as contenders to succeed Houllier.

Rumour going is that Gordan Strachan is to take over... omg...........

Yeah well I was nearly driving over to do the damn press conference.

My whole issue is, who now? Who's going to be better than Houllier? How do you know it's going to get better, not worse?

I don't care for Benitez, and I have my doubts about Curbishley on a (big) budget. O'Neill apparently isn't coming. King Ken isn't coming. Nor am I sure about him either. So who? It's easy to fob the incumbent off, it's much harder finding a more capable replacement.

it is for sure that there is risk involved.

The 0Club may appoint some one who can even deliver less than Houllier.
    But I am sure before rushing to such a decision, they must have evaluated the risk, and have factored in that the risk to be taken is worth to go on a try.

But definately not Curbishley, he has not had any experience to handle a big club as Liverpool.

I am waiting anxiously for the news. Actually I am doubt that LFC will announce "the leaving of Houllier" and "the new manager appointment" together

Having someone new could be a good thing. I guess we (including the players) are all in some ways disillusioned with Houllier. We may not be entirely unsatisfied with Houllier but having a new manager could be a fresh start for Liverpool.

Agree with wong_se that a someone new is needed to push pool to greater heights...also agree with Jed about the difficulty and risk in finding a replacement...but I feel its well worth the risk.

Players have to start proving their worth again, no time for the under achievers...

Do not think they will annonunce the new manager, but i hope its soon, he needs all the time to reassess the players and to dive in the transfer market if necessary.

who who?!?!
    wow! i was shocked! i firmly believed that Houllier will have at least another season!!

could it really be rafael benitez????
    i wouldn't mind anyone from this trio... alan curbishley, martin o'neil and rafael benitez!!

wow!!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by charvy
    Rumour going is that Gordan Strachan is to take over... omg...........
    no way... he played for man utd!!!! no way no way!!!

The reaction on Sky is one of predominantly good wishes for Gerard and thanks for the time and effort he's put in. Some fans of other clubs are surprised and express the view that five trophies and fourth place isn't good enough these days. Some fans are whinging it was a bad decision. Not too many are thankful he's left now that he has finally left. Wouldn't it be ironic if Djibril Cisse now went on to help Liverpool to success next season?

"I came here a Liverpool fan, and I leave here a bigger Liverpool fan. I may have left the club but I will be back as a fan to watch the team play." - GH.

Sorry, but I can't find it within myself to knock someone like that. I'm not denying your right to have a go at him either, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm sad to see him go. Not necessarily am I saying it was a bad decision either, but I am sad to see him go. Incidentally the predominant opinion here is for someone connected to the club to come in, or at least an Englishman. I think there is a notable difference between Scousers who support the team and people who are geographically much removed from the club itself.

Adieus Houllier.

Liverpool chairman David Moores today axed manager Gerrard Houllier after six years at the Anfield club. The Frenchman, who enjoyed an impressive trophy haul during his tenure, said: 'I may have left Liverpool, but Liverpool will not leave me.'

Source : http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlin...301465&cc=4716

so is this considered a sack?

nope... not a sack

GH 'stepped down'.

let's look to the future.

it's sad to see a good man go.
    but he has taken us this far.
    it's time to let someone take over.
    gerard houllier - you will never walk alone.
    Confidence is thinking you'll be Champions, arrogance is stating it.

heard that king kenny is going back to liverpool but not as manager though.
    only the valencia manager seems credible. the rest not really proven.
    hope they consider john toshack.
    Confidence is thinking you'll be Champions, arrogance is stating it.

Quote Originally Posted by akane
    it's sad to see a good man go.
    but he has taken us this far.
    it's time to let someone take over.
    gerard houllier - you will never walk alone.
    we walk together with him!? haha

a new chapter!!! a new beginning!!!

thanks to GH... he has brought stability and discipline back to the club.

john toshack?

highly unlikely.

king kenny? i don't think so...
    seems most likely that the Liverpool board has identified their next manager and hence, the departure of GH.

maybe there'll be news this end of the week.

Full press conference coverage here: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/pressconference_240504.ram

Thank you Gerard! YNWA.

Some fans of other clubs are surprised and express the view that five trophies and fourth place isn't good enough these days.
    nothing against your statement but just to take your quote.

Yes, I appreciated what he had achieved for the club, 5 trophies in 4 seasons.
    But, I would rather to exchange the trophies for a EPL tittle.

It might be the case that the Board is also having the "tittle" preference over the "trophies".

Vialli is the Chelsea Manager that won them most trophies, and he was sacked. The Board preferred Tittle, and Chelsea is not improving much futher.

Similiar situation to Liverpool..... yes...we won 5 trophies...but the fact is "We are lagging further from the Tittle Challange"

4th place is the bare minimum standard. Of course, it is not enough. The Board, the Captain-Gerrard also speak out their unsatisfatory performance for this year.

Looking at Houllier 5 yearwith LFC, yes, he did bring us the victory. But looking forward, the club may be in doubt of his ability to fulfill his promise to take Liverpool to serioulsy challenge the Tittle. And they think that it is worth to undertake the risk.

Houllier is now on the list of LFC-past manager.

I am now more concerned about the new manager.

With THaksin offer is being reviewd , and no manager at this stage..the players left Melwood for EUro preparation....

I can;t imagine what it will turn out to be ahd we not found a "quaility" in 2 weeks time.

i'm pretty much against the thaksin investment...
    well, that's just me. but i guess, it is essential... the money will come in handy??

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13182122232425 ... LastLast