View Poll Results: How do u shoot with Flash?

Voters
836. You may not vote on this poll
  • Omnibounce

274 32.78%
  • Bounce card

256 30.62%
  • Difusser

205 24.52%
  • Use Big Mama Apperture lens

101 12.08%
Page 1 of 12 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Which do u prefer: OmiBounce, Bounce Card or Diffuser?

Default Which do u prefer: OmiBounce, Bounce Card or Diffuser?

Harlowz,

Lookin for some tips here on achieving the most "natural" lighting effect when doing flash photography

Which do you normally use and why?

OmniBounce is the easiest and safest to use (provided that you're still asking for very high stds). Other means of correcting flash exposure would require more skills and experiences.

^_^~ been meaning to get an omnibounce... last time check around penisula.. no stock (for sigma 500DG)...

Omnibounce (whether the free Nikon one or the original Omnibounce) never give me good results compared to my cheap and trusty 5" bounce card.

Regards
    CK

I hate my Omnibounce. So tight and hard to remove and put on, use up all my battery, longer recycling time.

Bounce card attached to flash using velcro is the best. Doubles up as a grey card for white balance as well!

i bounce on the ceiling if its not too high... no diffuser, no card. nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    I hate my Omnibounce. So tight and hard to remove and put on, use up all my battery, longer recycling time.

Bounce card attached to flash using velcro is the best. Doubles up as a grey card for white balance as well!
    Can anyone share to make a DIY bounce card? What material to use and etc.? Especially those that can double up as grey card?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    Omnibounce (whether the free Nikon one or the original Omnibounce) never give me good results compared to my cheap and trusty 5" bounce card.

Regards
    CK
    I used to use an omnibounce but after CK mentioned, I tried a 50 cents bounce card....... the omnibounce is history.

omnibounce + bouncecard (not too big) @45deg

Quote Originally Posted by sesame_street98
    Can anyone share to make a DIY bounce card? What material to use and etc.? Especially those that can double up as grey card?

Thanks in advance!
    simplest method is just find any *white-enough* looking paper, cut to about 10x10cm then laminate

Hi All,

With all this tok about DIY bounce cards ") could some kind soul out there post a pic of their own DIY end product ^_^~ much appreciated.

Will be trying to make my own and post the results sometime later

Deregistered

- Flash + omnibounce
    - Flash + omnibounce + bounce card
    - Flash + bounce card
    - Flash direct

Any one of the above depending on location & light avaliablilty and the effect I want to capture.

Usually for not very dark situation, i still like to use big big aperture. More natural this way. Hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by sesame_street98

Thanks in advance!
    You buy a grey card from CP. About $25 for a set, but you can share with a few other people, because you only need a small piece, about 8cm by 10cm.

Get those velcro with adhesive backing from a hardware shop. Stick one side to the flash head, and the other to the bounce card.

Voila! you have a bounce card, which can easily be removed if there is no ceiling (in order to use direct flash and conserve your batteries and reduce your cycling time).

Will post a picture later tonight (maybe).

Picture speaks a thousand words.

Probably the ultimate cheapo...cut a piece of white card from those plastic boards at ~$3/pc at any stationary shop and secure it to the flash with two rubber bands.

PS: Taken with a cheapo webcam.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    You buy a grey card from CP. About $25 for a set, but you can share with a few other people, because you only need a small piece, about 8cm by 10cm.

Get those velcro with adhesive backing from a hardware shop. Stick one side to the flash head, and the other to the bounce card.

Voila! you have a bounce card, which can easily be removed if there is no ceiling (in order to use direct flash and conserve your batteries and reduce your cycling time).

Will post a picture later tonight (maybe).
    Sounds real good! Eagerly awaiting your pic..anyone wanna share the cost?

But, if the card is grey, would the flash be coloured? i know it sounds dumb..

A grey card is used to set custom white balance, I believe, not so much for bouncing the flash.

Of course, if you want a particular colour cast for your flash, you can use whatever colour you want--red, yellow, green--for creative results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    A grey card is used to set custom white balance, I believe, not so much for bouncing the flash.

Of course, if you want a particular colour cast for your flash, you can use whatever colour you want--red, yellow, green--for creative results.
    Yeah, thats what i was curious about abt SS's suggestion. If it does well at bouncing flash (w/o colouring the flash), as well as a grey card, then why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Wryer
    Yeah, thats what i was curious about abt SS's suggestion. If it does well at bouncing flash (w/o colouring the flash), as well as a grey card, then why not?
    "Ah Pao: A grey card is used to set custom white balance, I believe, not so much for bouncing the flash.

Of course, if you want a particular colour cast for your flash, you can use whatever colour you want--red, yellow, green--for creative results. "

The other side of the grey card is pure white, i believe SS means that side rather then the "grey side"

cheers.

guess i'm the ultimate cheapo then. 2 rubber bands and a a4 paper folded to 1/4.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Picture speaks a thousand words.

Probably the ultimate cheapo...cut a piece of white card from those plastic boards at ~$3/pc at any stationary shop and secure it to the flash with two rubber bands.

PS: Taken with a cheapo webcam.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Page 1 of 12 123611 ... LastLast