Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

Thread: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    As demonstrated in Australia and elsewhere bans on driving simply don't work. Fine the barstewards a few hundred thousand bucks so they carry a burden for life .. that may well work.
    More likely he will have his parents pay for him.
    Best payment is social work. He has to clock in every week, sunday morning and the hours increase every time he did not attend. That sure will put some impression to him.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    I find these drivers idotic and brainless. If they want to race, do it in a proper track in MY or find some deserted area. Dont endanger other innocent road users out there. These stunted brain idiots dont realized that even in professional racing a lot of effort and money goes into the safety of the drivers.

    Even then the drivers are still risking their lives but they are very well compensated in terms of money, fame etc. These idiots when they risk their lives "racing" on the streets wat do they achieve that is comparable?

    Want to stop these stunts by immatured, impressionable idiots, just ban them from driving for 10 years until their brain has reasonably formed and matured and their testosterone levels decreased.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    More likely he will have his parents pay for him.
    Best payment is social work. He has to clock in every week, sunday morning and the hours increase every time he did not attend. That sure will put some impression to him.
    So called "community service" work, it's usually part of the penalty here as well, but normally something pathetic like 100-200 hours. 40% don't complete it here either.

    The so called anti-hoon laws here don't really work either. While they vary from state to state the gist is .. caught 1st time and your car is impounded for XX hours or a few days, plus you'll be going to court and fined, your license may be revoked for a set period if the offence is big enough. Second time around and the car is impounded for around 3 months and there's a bigger fine, loss of license guaranteed. Third time lucky and the vehicle is crushed, you're going to gaol and there's a big fine & you'll loose the license for at least several years.

    The bad news is that it's not really deterring the little sods at all.

    Dr Ian's version.

    1st Offence: 40,000 buck fine to be paid ONLY by the offender and it is automatically garnished from his / her salary / wages at the rate of 30% Gross per month. If they are unemployed then their car is sold by the state to pay the fine. 2,500 hours of community service at the rate of either 28 hours per week (after work 4hrs a day) or 24 hours a week (12 hours on days off work + remainder during week. Work to be undertaken in a hospital environment dealing with car crash victims. 2 year loss of license.

    If caught driving during the loss of license period: Fine doubled, 4000 hours added to community work order and 1 year mandatory gaol term + 10 year loss of license.

    2nd Offence: 150,000 dollar fine - terms as per 1st offence. 8,000 hours community service, 12 strokes of the Rattan plus loss of license for 5 years. Vehicle impounded and sold.

    If caught driving during the loss of license period - 2 years gaol, fine jumps to 300,000 and community work jumps to 12,500 hours (around 10 years worth), 24 strokes of the cane and loss of license for 25 years.

    3rd Offence: 1 Million dollar fine, 5 years gaol term with no parole and 18 strokes of the cane per year (3 x 6 stroke sets) vehicle crushed and all personal goods forfeited to state and sold to raise money for chairty. Life time ban on driving. 25,000 hours community service.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  4. #24

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    Nobody is above the law in this incident. What if the TP got injured severely, then the case become an assault, its ridiculous. Driving without a license is the most dangerous thing to do and this kind of disregard of the safety and law on the roads should be condemned and punished beyond reprived. He is of sound mind when he did that. Such person should not be allowed to drive again on the roads.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    At the very very least, they should first confiscate the vehicle and donate to TP as a mandatory punishment.. then consider whatever deterrence sentences they might want to impose..

    Whether who is the owner of the vehicle doesn't matter.. it's up to the driver to answer to the owner..


    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    "Under Section 64 of the Road Traffic Act, any motorist who drives a vehicle dangerously on the roads and are first time offenders can be fined up to S$3,000 or imprisonment up to 12 months, or both.

    Driving without a valid licence is also an offence under Section 35 of the Road Traffic Act. If convicted, first time offenders are liable to a fine not exceeding S$1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months."

    They should increase the sentences - it's too light!

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    At the very very least, they should first confiscate the vehicle and donate to TP as a mandatory punishment.. then consider whatever deterrence sentences they might want to impose..
    If he did not own the car then you get the car owner into trouble which may not be his fault?

  7. #27

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    So called "community service" work, it's usually part of the penalty here as well, but normally something pathetic like 100-200 hours. 40% don't complete it here either.

    The so called anti-hoon laws here don't really work either. While they vary from state to state the gist is .. caught 1st time and your car is impounded for XX hours or a few days, plus you'll be going to court and fined, your license may be revoked for a set period if the offence is big enough. Second time around and the car is impounded for around 3 months and there's a bigger fine, loss of license guaranteed. Third time lucky and the vehicle is crushed, you're going to gaol and there's a big fine & you'll loose the license for at least several years.

    The bad news is that it's not really deterring the little sods at all.

    Dr Ian's version.

    1st Offence: 40,000 buck fine to be paid ONLY by the offender and it is automatically garnished from his / her salary / wages at the rate of 30% Gross per month. If they are unemployed then their car is sold by the state to pay the fine. 2,500 hours of community service at the rate of either 28 hours per week (after work 4hrs a day) or 24 hours a week (12 hours on days off work + remainder during week. Work to be undertaken in a hospital environment dealing with car crash victims. 2 year loss of license.

    If caught driving during the loss of license period: Fine doubled, 4000 hours added to community work order and 1 year mandatory gaol term + 10 year loss of license.

    2nd Offence: 150,000 dollar fine - terms as per 1st offence. 8,000 hours community service, 12 strokes of the Rattan plus loss of license for 5 years. Vehicle impounded and sold.

    If caught driving during the loss of license period - 2 years gaol, fine jumps to 300,000 and community work jumps to 12,500 hours (around 10 years worth), 24 strokes of the cane and loss of license for 25 years.

    3rd Offence: 1 Million dollar fine, 5 years gaol term with no parole and 18 strokes of the cane per year (3 x 6 stroke sets) vehicle crushed and all personal goods forfeited to state and sold to raise money for chairty. Life time ban on driving. 25,000 hours community service.
    i approve!

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    The fines are a joke!!!

    People have died from dangerous driving and drivers without license yet nothing is done, know why? It's because the "right" person did not get involve with this kind of accident yet.

    Many years back, a VIP's wife died along the AYE due to a speeding heavy vehicle, the very next day TP all over the expressway, all heavy vehs have to keep to the left of expressway, etc. Sad but till some VIP gets the message nothing will change any time soon
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    The owner should file a claim or civil suit against the driver or whoever 3rd party that is involved (A lent B, B lent C w/o permission etc..) if he have a case.

    If he knowing lent the car to a person w/o license, then he have no case.. serves them right.

    This should make car owners exercise more discretion & caution when lending out a potential killer instrument.

    The more expensive (and usually more powerful) the car, the more effective the deterrence effect.


    Edit: This works the same way as why renting out apartment to illegal immigrant is an offense even thou the owner themselves are legitimate residents. It is the owner's responsibility to do the necessary checks and exercise caution.

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    If he did not own the car then you get the car owner into trouble which may not be his fault?
    Last edited by Limsgp; 28th December 2009 at 03:36 PM.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore, West
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    penalty at only 3k, isn't it too low? the 12months jail term is heavier and I feel more appropriate in comparison.

    anyway, crazy drivers are everywhere, young & old.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    boh bian leh. Need for speed, like to drift, like to get chased by police, how?
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  12. #32
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    boh bian leh. Need for speed, like to drift, like to get chased by police, how?
    And endanger other road users? Very irresponsible.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  13. #33

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    you have drivers that drive dangerously
    you have drivers that drive without a licence
    you have drivers that are bad drivers
    you have drivers that are inconsiderate drivers
    you have drivers that are ladies

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    you have drivers that are ladies
    aunties want to talk to you, esp those driving bus and taxi one.

  15. #35
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    you have drivers that drive dangerously
    you have drivers that drive without a licence
    you have drivers that are bad drivers
    you have drivers that are inconsiderate drivers
    you have drivers that are ladies
    Now hot in the news and web about a stolen Foreign Embassy car involved in hit and run... damn these people think they own the road!!

    ../azul123

  16. #36
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    no wonder now insurance premium is increased for drivers under 26...@#$%^&*
    eat. drink. shoot

  17. #37
    Member Parka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    As demonstrated in Australia and elsewhere bans on driving simply don't work. Fine the barstewards a few hundred thousand bucks so they carry a burden for life .. that may well work.
    You misunderstood the purpose of the ban.

    It's not to be used as a deterrent. It's to prevent already proven reckless drivers from driving ever again.

    Money is replaceable. Time is not.

  18. #38
    Member Parka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    So called "community service" work, it's usually part of the penalty here as well, but normally something pathetic like 100-200 hours. 40% don't complete it here either.

    The so called anti-hoon laws here don't really work either. While they vary from state to state the gist is .. caught 1st time and your car is impounded for XX hours or a few days, plus you'll be going to court and fined, your license may be revoked for a set period if the offence is big enough. Second time around and the car is impounded for around 3 months and there's a bigger fine, loss of license guaranteed. Third time lucky and the vehicle is crushed, you're going to gaol and there's a big fine & you'll loose the license for at least several years.

    The bad news is that it's not really deterring the little sods at all.

    Dr Ian's version.

    1st Offence: 40,000 buck fine to be paid ONLY by the offender and it is automatically garnished from his / her salary / wages at the rate of 30% Gross per month. If they are unemployed then their car is sold by the state to pay the fine. 2,500 hours of community service at the rate of either 28 hours per week (after work 4hrs a day) or 24 hours a week (12 hours on days off work + remainder during week. Work to be undertaken in a hospital environment dealing with car crash victims. 2 year loss of license.

    If caught driving during the loss of license period: Fine doubled, 4000 hours added to community work order and 1 year mandatory gaol term + 10 year loss of license.

    2nd Offence: 150,000 dollar fine - terms as per 1st offence. 8,000 hours community service, 12 strokes of the Rattan plus loss of license for 5 years. Vehicle impounded and sold.

    If caught driving during the loss of license period - 2 years gaol, fine jumps to 300,000 and community work jumps to 12,500 hours (around 10 years worth), 24 strokes of the cane and loss of license for 25 years.

    3rd Offence: 1 Million dollar fine, 5 years gaol term with no parole and 18 strokes of the cane per year (3 x 6 stroke sets) vehicle crushed and all personal goods forfeited to state and sold to raise money for chairty. Life time ban on driving. 25,000 hours community service.


    My version:

    1st offense - Ban from driving for 5 years
    2nd offense - Ban from driving for 10 years
    3nd offense - Ban from driving for 20 years

    If it involves injuring somebody, double the time of ban.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee View Post
    no brain...wat to do
    ehehe.. you got that right!

  20. #40
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Young and reckless driver w/o licence

    Another such case. Does not have valid driving license.

    Not so young but reckless nonetheless.

    ../azul123

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •