Thread: Are you going to e-file your tax returns?

Unhappy Are you going to e-file your tax returns?

A friend brought up a very interesting point to me yesterday. He said he will not e-file this year as by doing so, he is helping those 120 people slated for retrenchment lose their job faster.

I'm thinking, whether e-filing is a success or not someone is going to lose their job.

If e-file fails, IT people lose their jobs. e-file is a success, counter/backroom people lose their jobs..... sigh....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by olym5050
    A friend brought up a very interesting point to me yesterday. He said he will not e-file this year as by doing so, he is helping those 120 people slated for retrenchment lose their job faster.

I'm thinking, whether e-filing is a success or not someone is going to lose their job.

If e-file fails, IT people lose their jobs. e-file is a success, counter/backroom people lose their jobs..... sigh....
    i wil not e-file after knowing this. The IT guys responsible for IRAS system is probably outsourced as IRAS is not technically competent in managing IT system. So if E-filing fails, then those in the backroom may survive.

The guys in outsource IT company is most likely using cheap foreign talent from china or india. so they lose their contract, it is not so much our concern as singaporean.

However, have u heard that those employed in IRAS ,a govt dept, are foreigner? I think u need to be a singaporean to work in IRAS, even if it is backroom.

So the trade off of IT people for the retention of the backroom people is good

don't think anything you do will stop the retrenchment. IRAS can easily in time to come, stop all forms submission, afterall, beside internet, you can file thru phone.

A lot of things are link now, you don't even need to submit IR8A now, so they probably have the records from your company, your stock dividends etc. So in time to come, it becomes easier to file, so anyone can do it even by phone, so internet or not, the 120 is still going.

Remember, in the library you can only use cash card to pay (nothing else).

I suppose i will con't to e-file,
    more convient as i hate to write and calculate manually,
    nothing we could do to change the fate of those 120, but at least i believe they are adequately compensated,

talk of liabrary, i couldn't pay my fine as i dun have cashcard wanted to use nets to pay but they dun accept, becoz of that i couldn;t borrow any book now becoz, hmm... must get a cash card soon

I'm going to e-file, actually almost done. I'm in a world of hurt, so I need my money faster!

The guys in outsource IT company is most likely using cheap foreign talent from china or india.
    There is also another forum debating about cheap foreign talent taking up the IT job and leaving nothing for local.

I am doubt about this term "cheap". I understand why there are so many finger-pointing at foreign talent, but no idea why the they are also being labelled as "cheap".

P1 Employment pass holder earning at least SGD7000 amonth.
    P2 EP holder avearge SGD5000
    Q1 at least SGD2500
    Q2 pending case

Do u have enough info from Ministry of ManPower on the number of each class of EP being issued ? Or do u have enough level of confidence that u are convinced the foregin talent from India and China are "cheap".

I am sure there are at least few fellow CSper feeling very sad to hear that they are here working in Singapore because they are "cheap".

Sin
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    Q1 at least SGD2500
    Q2 pending case
    There are many ways to bypass and cheat the rules. Too many.

Anyway, if you dont e-file, could result in an alternate situation....

E-file is failure, but the authority cannot stop technology progress and decide to pump more money into IT and further develop e-file (spend more money to find out why fail....)....money goes to hiring MORE cheap foreign labour.... less money budgetted to HR.... even more pple retrench..... hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    There is also another forum debating about cheap foreign talent taking up the IT job and leaving nothing for local.

I am doubt about this term "cheap". I understand why there are so many finger-pointing at foreign talent, but no idea why the they are also being labelled as "cheap".

Q1 at least SGD2500
    Q2 pending case
    The above depends on how the employer could try to qualify every foreign talent for Q2/1 pass. I don't know about it but the pass grade does not seem to tally with education and profession of the Foreign talent.

Why i feel so?

I am a civil eng. I see my company employ china and india civil engineer under opening labelled as drafting position. (drafts man). These guys have degree in china and some chartered engineer in their hometown. I don't understand how our govt grant the permit. My company manage to pay them S$1500 monthly net.This salary is just like what a new draftman from singapore will draw.

Then , u know what they do in office?? They are asked to design structures and do jobs which a civil eng do. But then, to govt, they are employed as draftman. I don't know what checks the govt have but it seems like it is dammed easy to beat the system and violate it. Isn't the above cheap labour....... Oh, by the way, the final drawings and calculations are signed by our boss, a singapore chartered engineer. As long as he is willing to bear the risk, he can enjoy cheap engineer without problem...

Sad man.... our govt is not doing their job well. Maybe we should open civil servant position to foreign talent and let these govt people have a taste of their medicine in their policies

The Scums in White is using Technology as lame reasons to retrench the staff in the IRAS so that more money can be freed up for their bonuses.

Unless u have figure to really show that more than half of those foreign talent are paying like SDG1500 and only holding Q2. It is not nice to simply blame and quote "cheap" foreign talent.

Imagine this - Foreign talent vs cheap labour. Do singapore need foreign talent or do SIngapore need cheap labour to compete in the global industry ????

When ang moh being transferred to singapore and being paid SGD20,000 with car and accomodation allowances. WE complain. When we have cheap foreign talent, we also complain. ????

Pls look at the mirror and ask ourself, what they can do but we can't do ??

My company manage to pay them S$1500 monthly net.This salary is just like what a new draftman from singapore will draw.

and yet, your boss to hire the cheap foreign talent, himself is a Singaporean.

Who, is that the cheap foreign talent or is that the Singaporean who try to save a penny and rather not to give any chance to his own people ?

back to the topic.....the IRAS can always subsidy the backroom staff for another IT education and transfer them into IT backroom staff to check the eform.

Wong Se seems to be from the lighter colors ....

Employer? C-servant? or Top C-servant? Foreign talent that we are talking abt?

He does have some sense in the argument if you look at the picture from the govt and employer point of view.

Too bad , the majority of 90% are employees who got to find something to do to have rice on the table and a camera to shoot. Let hope that in future , 90% of singaporean are employers. Then, we would have rejoiced over his point of view. For now, i cannot join him yet....

Too bad , the majority of 90% are employees
    yes, I agree more than 95% of SIngaporean is Employee status. Unless u are the boss who sells ice cream in front of Ngee Ann City, who does not drawn a fixed salary.

Even Mr Sim (Creative largest single shareholder) is an employee. Even Minister is a employee (just quote them as a professional, not touching any political issues here). They are drawn as a salary each month and they can not simply drawn more money from the company.

But being employee will not stop them being rich. What is the problem of having the majority of 90% of employee. Indeed all almost everywhere in the world, all economy are built with majority 90% employees.

Employer? C-servant? or Top C-servant? Foreign talent that we are talking abt?
    I came as a foreign talent, but now a local.

He does have some sense in the argument if you look at the picture from the govt and employer point of view.

When u employ a person to work in the company and decide how much to pay for him, of course we need to look at the picture as being yourself the employer. If employer does not make it to survive, there is not even any benefits discussion of an employee. All fried sotong liao.