Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61

Thread: Eos 7d?

  1. #41

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    wow. 4 girls! must be a handful.
    @ others : How about lenses. Are 3rd party lenses ,e.g Sigma, reliable? I plan on getting a 50 L1.4 for portrait shots.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    reliable meaning durable and cost-effective.

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Quote Originally Posted by wongzn View Post
    wow. 4 girls! must be a handful.
    @ others : How about lenses. Are 3rd party lenses ,e.g Sigma, reliable? I plan on getting a 50 L1.4 for portrait shots.
    This is really a lens-by-lens basis. For both first and third party lenses, there are 'hits' and 'misses', or good and bad series by the manufacturer. It's always helpful to read reviews here, and on other sites like dpreview.com, kenrockwell.com and sites of other well known photographers / groups and see what they think of it One to be aware of is of course to take all reviews with a pinch of salt, sometimes the reviewer just happened to pick up a bad copy of the lens or the review was done with the first batch of lens which may have some problems that were rectified in later batches. Always read several reviews and if possible get a feel of the lens (rent / test at shop) before you make a decision especially if it happens to be an expensive one.
    Last edited by sabee; 28th December 2009 at 12:50 AM.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Quote Originally Posted by kristalangel View Post
    sabee,

    thanks! .. Glad to hear we made a decent choice for the lens.

    lol I plan to shoot my 4 girls mostly. at play, at the zoo .. at home.
    Haven't really thought about shooting other things yet
    Might consider also getting a fast lens to allows you to use a larger aperture which will in turn give you better bokeh or background blur that will let you isolate your girls from the background

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore :)
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Might consider also getting a fast lens to allows you to use a larger aperture which will in turn give you better bokeh or background blur that will let you isolate your girls from the background
    Any recommendations?

  6. #46

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Well my advice would be that you try to read up on your manual for the 7D and read it well....it really helps! then again if you wanna improve, you could always read up or even post ur picx on CS and alow ppl to C&C fr u

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Quote Originally Posted by kristalangel View Post
    Any recommendations?
    One of the better ones is the Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM

    You can find the review here: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_50_1p4_c16/

    But whether this turns out to be a good lens for you very much depends on whether you're comfortable with shooting portraits (of your 4 girls!) with a 50mm lens on a cropped body (7D). You should try running around with your current lens fixed at 50mm.

    Also if cost is an issue, the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 is an excellent lens that features slightly less bokeh but at $120 is quite a steal for its image quality and speed.

    There are also 3rd party options like the Sigma 50mm F1.4 as well.

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore :)
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Quote Originally Posted by ruinoracle View Post
    Well my advice would be that you try to read up on your manual for the 7D and read it well....it really helps! then again if you wanna improve, you could always read up or even post ur picx on CS and alow ppl to C&C fr u
    ruinoracle,
    yeap thanks! .. I am ploughing through it almost everyday struggling to understand all the terms used. Forums like this one helps a lot ..

    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    One of the better ones is the Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM

    You can find the review here: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_50_1p4_c16/

    But whether this turns out to be a good lens for you very much depends on whether you're comfortable with shooting portraits (of your 4 girls!) with a 50mm lens on a cropped body (7D). You should try running around with your current lens fixed at 50mm.

    Also if cost is an issue, the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 is an excellent lens that features slightly less bokeh but at $120 is quite a steal for its image quality and speed.

    There are also 3rd party options like the Sigma 50mm F1.4 as well.
    sabee,
    alright .. will do. I will take photos for now with my lens fixed at 50mm and see how it goes. thanks!!!

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Have fun...!

    Just to be clear, there are of course other options like the 35mm F1.4 USM that are probably more suited for an indoor setting but at well over a thousand dollars...

  10. #50

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Auto. wow.smart preemptive by the marketing team . now lets see how would the rivals react.
    Man greatest tool. The imaginative mind.

  11. #51
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    hahaha I just never believed that a Canon 7D would be bought by a newbie... well, this thread certainly proves me wrong.
    I think 'Auto' is only for the times when you pass your camera to someone inexperienced to take a group photo. Otherwise, it's really not rewarding to use a DSLR in auto mode...
    Exploring! :)

  12. #52

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hahaha I just never believed that a Canon 7D would be bought by a newbie... well, this thread certainly proves me wrong.
    I think 'Auto' is only for the times when you pass your camera to someone inexperienced to take a group photo. Otherwise, it's really not rewarding to use a DSLR in auto mode...
    Haha why not eh, if on then on all the way!

  13. #53
    Member Burnings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hahaha I just never believed that a Canon 7D would be bought by a newbie... well, this thread certainly proves me wrong.
    I think 'Auto' is only for the times when you pass your camera to someone inexperienced to take a group photo. Otherwise, it's really not rewarding to use a DSLR in auto mode...
    Why not? "KenRockwell" bought a 1DsIII le.....

  14. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore :)
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hahaha I just never believed that a Canon 7D would be bought by a newbie... well, this thread certainly proves me wrong.
    I think 'Auto' is only for the times when you pass your camera to someone inexperienced to take a group photo. Otherwise, it's really not rewarding to use a DSLR in auto mode...
    hehehe. you're telling me. I was really shocked when I unwrapped my present to find the 7D. I really thought the 500D would be more than enough for me.

    Ya lar. I am trying to NOT use the "auto" function .. struggling to read and understand the manual. lol !!

  15. #55

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Quote Originally Posted by kristalangel View Post
    hehehe. you're telling me. I was really shocked when I unwrapped my present to find the 7D. I really thought the 500D would be more than enough for me.

    Ya lar. I am trying to NOT use the "auto" function .. struggling to read and understand the manual. lol !!
    Drafted some information for you here.

    Dark image o----------------------------> Bright
    Low iso (High Image quality) ---------------High iso (low image quality)
    High shutter speed (freeeze image) --------Low Shutter speed (high motion blur)
    High aperture (high depth of field) ---------Low aperture value (Shallow Depth of field)

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To control depth of field

    Shallow dof o---------------------------> high dof
    Long Focal length of lens (85mm) ----------Short focal length of lens(18mm)
    Large sensor (5D is here) ------------------Small Sensor (Compact cameras belong here)
    Low aperture value (F1.8) -----------------High Aperture value (F8)
    Small distance to subject ------------------Great distance to subject.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by blurry80; 28th December 2009 at 04:46 PM.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Yo Bro Wongzn, so long you feel you are serious about photography (how serious you are only you know), then get the best you can afford......... you can take your time to learn.... cause if you are serious, then no point getting an entry level and sell it off shortly after.... more hassle and more $$$ spend.... your situation is diff from someone who is not sure about DSLR, not sure if he/she will like it and like to try out... so getting an entry level cam + lens make more $$$ sense......

    When you are more into it, then slowly built up your lens collection, getting those lens that suit your interest and budget.....

    And ya, lots of bro here are hinting to you...... GO FF........ ......

    At least you have the budget to do the things you want........ people like me know what we want, but no $$$$........

    Anyway welcome to the World of (DSLR) Photography......... ...... though would love you to join the Dark side.... haaaaaaaa.......... just joking.....

  17. #57

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Technology is always advancing, so get something now, in a year or two, there will be a new body to replace what you get now. May want to consider that when getting a body now as a beginner.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    7D is certainly a good start since you can afford it.
    I got myself a canon 40D as my first DSLR. If you got big hands like me, you will certainly appreciate the large hand grip of 40D (or in your case, 7D). The entry level DSLRs from Canon are really having quite a small grip. Not fun using.

  19. #59

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    just checking, 7d is not weather/water proof but 50d is right? is this a critical factor for outdoor/street photography?

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Eos 7d?

    Quote Originally Posted by wongzn View Post
    just checking, 7d is not weather/water proof but 50d is right? is this a critical factor for outdoor/street photography?
    Check this out http://canonfieldreviews.com/7d-1-weather-sealing/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •