Thread: Canon 500D couple with Tamron 17-55mm as kit

Default Canon 500D couple with Tamron 17-55mm as kit

Hi folks

I'm thinking of getting a Canon 500D with Kit I, but was introduce to Tamron 17-55mm as kit as another option, Would like advise from folks here, whether is this lens compatible with other Canon & Nikon DSLR Models, and how this lens compare to the kit I from canon, and what the price range for that (tamron 17-55mm) lens.

Regards
    Thanks

Default Re: Canon 500D couple with Tamron 17-55mm as kit

Hmm... Tamron 17-55?? must be a new lens coz I never heard of it before...

Are you referring to the 17-50 instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Hmm... Tamron 17-55?? must be a new lens coz I never heard of it before...

Are you referring to the 17-50 instead?
    yah should be the 17-50mm,sorry wrong typo

Tamron have different mount for several brands, but they are not interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Tamron have different mount for several brands, but they are not interchangeable.
    Thanks Anson for the advise,so to say, if i using that lens for Canon 500D,then in future that lens will be only be for canon range of cameras

Quote Originally Posted by messdem View Post
    Thanks Anson for the advise,so to say, if i using that lens for Canon 500D,then in future that lens will be only be for canon range of cameras
    Yes. And its for APS-C only.

Quote Originally Posted by gtl1987 View Post
    Yes. And its for APS-C only.
    Thanks, after reading something on speed of AF and image quality on general Tamron Lens,am still contemplating whether to sink my dollar on tamron or stick with canon Kit I,pls advise

Hi folks

I'm thinking of getting a Canon 500D with Kit I, but was introduce to Tamron 17-55mm as kit as another option, Would like advise from folks here, whether is this lens compatible with other Canon & Nikon DSLR Models, and how this lens compare to the kit I from canon, and what the price range for that (tamron 17-55mm) lens.

Regards
    Thanks
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8 would be a great combo with 500D
    what is the price difference from Kit1?
    a new one is about 600+ in shops, and about 450-550 in 2nd hand market..

I have no regrets getting my 17-50.. just make sure u test a few copys until u are happy with the pictures u are getting

Thanks, after reading something on speed of AF and image quality on general Tamron Lens,am still contemplating whether to sink my dollar on tamron or stick with canon Kit I,pls advise
    morning...
    base on persoanl experience...the AF speed isn't tat bad...jus that the sound makes it seems bad...y i say so?!..
    if ur subject lack the "contrast", it makes it hard for ur system to detect n lock focus be it tamron or L lenses...(my own experience..I might b wrong..)
    1 gd thing about L lenses are...no sound produce even though they r hunting to lock focus whereas u can hear e sound from Tamron...
    Sound isn't an issue (at least to me) unless u r shooting in quiet environment let say...museum etc...

as for quality..i'm pretty please with it (i ever thought of changing it not bcoz of quality..but bcoz of the focus sound..haha)

tamron 17-50mm f2.8 can't b really tat wrong to invest...resale value is high too..
    best is...$600 plus with 3 years warranty!!!....

u can try out from OP at sim lim...they haf many copies...i tested 5 copies before purchasing.. (remember to ask in a nice n sincere manner...provided tat u cfm will buy at least 1 copy..lol)

hopefully my experience wif tamron helps..

Cheers n a Happy Merry X'mas to all...
    Bless...

Since I have the Tamron I'd recommend getting it if you get a good deal. Don't worry about comment like AF sound or so, this little audible noise was never an issue for me. But the lens works great and gives really good images even wide open. Another advantage: with a f/2.8 lens your central AF sensor will be more sensitive (according Canon description), thus more accuracy in focusing.
    The IS of the Canon kit lens is not really necessary in that range of focal length, imho. What you will feel is the weight difference, the Tamron lens adds a bit weight to your combo. But I felt that it gives overall more stability and with battery grip it's perfect for me.
    In terms of compatibility: both lenses are only meant for Canon APS-C cameras (cropped sensor). No gain or loss here with either lens.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Since I have the Tamron I'd recommend getting it if you get a good deal. Don't worry about comment like AF sound or so, this little audible noise was never an issue for me. But the lens works great and gives really good images even wide open. Another advantage: with a f/2.8 lens your central AF sensor will be more sensitive (according Canon description), thus more accuracy in focusing.
    The IS of the Canon kit lens is not really necessary in that range of focal length, imho. What you will feel is the weight difference, the Tamron lens adds a bit weight to your combo. But I felt that it gives overall more stability and with battery grip it's perfect for me.
    In terms of compatibility: both lenses are only meant for Canon APS-C cameras (cropped sensor). No gain or loss here with either lens.
    I am agree with this.
    Also, it is one of the best for value lens, as agreed by others

Hi folks

Regards
    Thanks
    You can't go wrong with 500D and Tamron 17-50 lens... Cos i'm using that too.. Its an excellent lens for its price..

Please don't waste your time with kit lens, esp Canon ones.. i wouldn't want you to go through the buy and sell and buy and sell stages.. Hope it helps..