Thread: Lens hood

Default Lens hood

I have read a few reviews that lens hood helps to increase the contrast of the image.
    However, does a lens hood reduce then amount of light going in? (Like CPL filters Is lens hood needed when shooting indoors with indoor lighting?

I am considering modding one of my TCs to add lens hood if lens hood really does help.

Default Re: Lens hood

Hoods don't really increase contrast. However they can prevent the loss of contrast and reduce flare when you have a bright light source just out of frame.
    A proper hood should not be in frame, and therefore not cause any light loss (except for extraneous light from off-frame, which you don't want anyway) -- you're not supposed to see the hood in your viewfinder. You could get some vignetting if you use the wrong hood e.g. a hood meant for a 50mm lens on a 28mm lens.
    Some photographers also use hoods to protect the front element from accidental knocks and bumps.

As my TC does not have a front element thread, I do intend to mod it to put a screw in hood.
    Will hood be beneficial indoors, other than protecting front element from accidental knocks?

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

TC as in Tele converter?

you can shoot with Tele converter without mounting a lens in front?
    Last edited by catchlights; 24th December 2009 at 02:37 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by soons View Post
    Will hood be beneficial indoors, other than protecting front element from accidental knocks?
    A lens hood is not selective, it simple prevents flare from any stray light or light source just outside the frame. If you can't switch off some light indoors a hood can prevent flares here as well.
    EOS

Yes, my teleconverter is mounted in front.

I will see, cos a mod will cost about $30 for a female to female thread converter as well as a screw in hood. A Tulip hoot will proof to be better for tele-lens than a petal ones.

To me, a lens hood is to reduce flare in some ways.
    Another thing lens hood will be useful is that it can protect the lens front element.