Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: X-Pro Holga Picture

  1. #1

    Default X-Pro Holga Picture



    Area in which critique is sought?
    Composition and Post Processing after scanning(x-pro Ektachrome slide film)

    Short Write Up
    I wanted to contrast the large open area in front of the cathedral with the evidently tightly packed buildings in the background. Together with the (then) nice looking clouds, I thought that it would be interesting to capture the scene in different light; ie crossed processed slide film using a holga. (In honesty, that was the only camera i had with me then! )

    Personally, i think the resulting colours of the cross-processed image is attractive. However, something about the composition is lacking. I just can't put my finger on it though..

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: X-Pro Holga Picture

    Perhaps the empty space at the bottom can be cropped away since it does not add much to the composition.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: X-Pro Holga Picture

    Agree with the above, crop and i likey!

  4. #4
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: X-Pro Holga Picture

    I think by cropping the bottom, you won't have the vignetting effect on 4 corners and it won't look nice.
    I used to like holga 120 for the vignetting effect on 120mm.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: X-Pro Holga Picture

    Since he's already doing PP, he can always add vignetting in

  6. #6

    Default Re: X-Pro Holga Picture

    hmm i would actually leave the foreground, but crop out the left building (its cut in half, and is distracting) so that the center one (the one with the tallest tower) is the center of attraction, at the top left third, in portrait orientation.

    This way the foreground tiles will not only serve as a nice colour/texture contrast to the tower in the bgrd, it will also serve to define the 1/3 'foreground' area of classical landscape photography, while the blue sky adds the other 1/3 background. The bright colour of the building will then stand out more, as the middle ground.
    Last edited by aprilmoon92; 26th December 2009 at 06:01 PM.

  7. #7
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: X-Pro Holga Picture

    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Since he's already doing PP, he can always add vignetting in
    Oops.. Didn't notice TS mentioned that PP was done..

    Anyway x-pro need PP 1 meh? I thought colours meant to be wild?

  8. #8

    Default Re: X-Pro Holga Picture

    simple - the problem with composition is that there is no composition.

    everything is a mess, the building is abruptly cropped off.. the funky colours and vignetting do nothing to help with that.

  9. #9

    Default Re: X-Pro Holga Picture

    Thanks for all the comments.

    Re: Cropping
    I can see what you guys mean and probably will go try it out! My only gripe is that I (given my lousy skills in photoshop or waterver) probably won't be able to get a similar vignette effect since the top vignette is naturally there. Similarly with the distortion etc.

    Re: PP
    Erm.. I guess I've used the term loosely. All I did was invert the colours as I had scanned the negative myself. Don't usually spend time cropping and adding vignettes as I am pretty bad at such things..

    Re: Composition (or lack thereof)
    Appreciate night86mare's comments but in my defence (), the viewfinder in a Holga doesnt exactly show what is being taken so cant prevent things like the top being chopped off.

  10. #10

    Default Re: X-Pro Holga Picture

    Quote Originally Posted by j.funkie View Post

    Re: Composition (or lack thereof)
    Appreciate night86mare's comments but in my defence (), the viewfinder in a Holga doesnt exactly show what is being taken so cant prevent things like the top being chopped off.
    so no holga users can compose properly? that is a poor defense.

    use it more, you will realise how to compose with that camera to get what you want.

    how else do you think people shoot portraits with holgas? with many rolls of film?



    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593496
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609263
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482970
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479961

  11. #11

    Default Re: X-Pro Holga Picture

    alamak. so fierce. i've realised that people in singapore are way toooo serious nowadays. peace.

  12. #12

    Default Re: X-Pro Holga Picture

    Quote Originally Posted by j.funkie View Post
    alamak. so fierce. i've realised that people in singapore are way toooo serious nowadays. peace.
    if you say so

    just pointing out a fact bluntly. you can choose to see it as fierceness, or take it as sound advice. in the first, you can happily tell yourself that no, holgas are meant to be anyhow point, anyhow shoot, you will end up with chopped off photos all the time.

    in the second case, you will try to understand what i say, and you might get photos that you want and can be proud of.

    it is a simple choice, nothing very serious.

  13. #13

    Default Re: X-Pro Holga Picture

    Quote Originally Posted by j.funkie View Post


    Area in which critique is sought?
    Composition and Post Processing after scanning(x-pro Ektachrome slide film)

    Short Write Up
    I wanted to contrast the large open area in front of the cathedral with the evidently tightly packed buildings in the background. Together with the (then) nice looking clouds, I thought that it would be interesting to capture the scene in different light; ie crossed processed slide film using a holga. (In honesty, that was the only camera i had with me then! )

    Personally, i think the resulting colours of the cross-processed image is attractive. However, something about the composition is lacking. I just can't put my finger on it though..
    hhmmn.. is it just me.. but i don't see anything to compose in this image.

    I don't clearly see what is subject in this photo.. is it the building? is it the people walking? for me.. sorry bro but I don't feel anything about the pic.

    maybe if you walk/zoom a bit you might capture some interesting subject.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: X-Pro Holga Picture

    I disagree with the cropping. In fact, I think it's great. The building behind balances nicely with the empty space.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •