Thread: Metal briefcase & Packing foam: where to find?

Question Metal briefcase & Packing foam: where to find?

Hi all, I am looking for a slim metal (or any other material that's as strong and sturdy) briefcase-like casing measruing around 35x25x5cm ... or around 1.75 times the size of an A4 sheet.

I am also looking for some high density packing foam (not styrofoam, or the cheapo spongy kind) to line the insides of the casing. Need this setup to transport 3 computer harddisks around on plane rides - as carry-in.

... it may look something like what the professional killers carry their sniper rifle kit in - in the movies

where can I find them both? especially the high density foam! tried many DIY and hardware stores all dun haf ... it's the kind (usually black) they use to line the insides of boxes for fragile equipment ... with moulded/cut depressions for the pieces they protect ...

Quote Originally Posted by sensires
    Hi all, I am looking for a slim metal (or any other material that's as strong and sturdy) briefcase-like casing measruing around 35x25x5cm ... or around 1.75 times the size of an A4 sheet.

I am also looking for some high density packing foam (not styrofoam, or the cheapo spongy kind) to line the insides of the casing. Need this setup to transport 3 computer harddisks around on plane rides - as carry-in.
    You may need to contact a manufacturer of 'flight cases' or scientific/industrial cases to get what you're after. They should be in the local phonebook and I've never yet found one that doesn't do custom work. Expect to pay upwards of 300 SGD for a case that size.

A far cheaper alternative is a plastic food box and use large cell bubble wrap ... I do that with HDD's all the time and it works fine.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Pelican cases?

Check the surplus page too.

http://www.batterystation.com/pelican_cases.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    You may need to contact a manufacturer of 'flight cases' or scientific/industrial cases to get what you're after. They should be in the local phonebook and I've never yet found one that doesn't do custom work. Expect to pay upwards of 300 SGD for a case that size.

A far cheaper alternative is a plastic food box and use large cell bubble wrap ... I do that with HDD's all the time and it works fine.
    Yup yup ... that's what I did last time round ... bubble wraps + styrofoam! =) ... but I figured since I still be carrying moi HDDs to and fro my place of study and home for the next 3 yrs or so, i shud prolly invest in a more 'solid' protective casing ... it'll be a nightmare if any of them die on me due to the 'rigours of travelling' ... .... moreover it's quite a hassle to wrap them up each time I travel ... so bo pian I guess ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonian Foo
    Pelican cases?

Check the surplus page too.

http://www.batterystation.com/pelican_cases.htm

Thanks Nik Foo!! Now that's a rather close match (in surplus section) to what I'm looking for ... but it doesn't seem like they except orders from Singapore do they? I'll be needing them in week too ...

Hi..maybe whatU R looking for can be found in Aluminium archery cases.
    Solid cases packed with high density foam.
    Maybe U can chk with DMArchery located at level 5M Bukit Merah SAFRA.
    Contact Daniel at mobile : 98523542
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by fantom; 20th February 2004 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks Nik Foo!! Now that's a rather close match (in surplus section) to what I'm looking for ... but it doesn't seem like they except orders from Singapore do they? I'll be needing them in week too ...
    Actually they do international shipping,ask for quotation first, but shipping might be expensive for such bigger item. Try to find it in Singapore first lor...

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonian Foo
    Actually they do international shipping,ask for quotation first, but shipping might be expensive for such bigger item. Try to find it in Singapore first lor...
    Do you happen to know of places I might find it??

Do you happen to know of places I might find it??

Eh....I remember at Sim Lim Square 2nd level, near the bridge that connects to O.G. building.....a shop that sells metal like suitcase and Pelican torchlights, maybe they sell Pelican cases....Not so sure.....