Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie wana try using external flash

Default Re: Newbie wana try using external flash

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Hello friend... read the thread first leh....

Nikon D40 can pair with Canon 580exII meh???
    I suppose it will fire la... but... you know what I mean....
    Haha I'm a Canon user, so just 430exII -> SB600 and 580exII -> SB900 =)

Quote Originally Posted by litewing View Post
    Hi,

I faced the same dilemma as you before, was contemplating betw 430exII, 580exII and i866. Honestly if you had all the money in the world, 580exII would be the best choice, since it would be the most powerful, and you can select the flash power in finer stops too. Choosing betw 430exII and i866, I chose i866. i622 felt plastic-ky whereas i866 felt solid-built. i866 can be master whereas 430exII cannot. 430exII has a lower GN than i866 as well. Still using i866, very contented with it =)
    Upzzz for i866..
    Newei, if i had all the $$ in the world, i'd buy all the different lens to test hw good it is rather than stick to one, hehehehe...
    Thumbs for ur setup wif i866...

Back fire??
    hahahaha

Di866 is MUCH more powerful than SB600...
    I'm thinking of getting Di866 as well, to pair with my SB600 as a remote slave.

If anyone owns this combo, it'd be good to help me allay my doubts about whether the AWL thingy works with iTTL functionality when Di866 is onboard and SB600 is remote.
    I've asked *********** and OP, and both claim that it's possible.
    http://www.nissindigital.com/en/Di866-1.html
    says in the link that it can...

Newei bro, upgraded to D90 liow, hehehe...

wow... in 2 weeks upgraded already.... wow....
    Exploring! :)

waa this thread run so fast.

di622 slave functionality work with anything, as long as got flash. sb600 IR slave only respond to nikon commander flash (either built-in flash or sb800 or su800).

keep in mind though, the SB900/ di866 is HUGE. on your d90 body it will be overbalanced badly. on my friend's d300 and up then slightly better handling.

also keep in mind that if youre getting di866 or sb900 just cos the specs look good, you have to think whether you actually need those functions...
    1) super high GN-- are you gg to take huge group shots (and hence have to stand further away) at night with only the small flash? or telephoto (200mm) shots? (bear in mind most places where you might need to flash telephoto (concerts, performances, wildlife) DONT let you flash... if you dont have a specific use for the very high GN, its not very useful.

2) weird flash modes like strobe/etc which are supported by these external flashes-- sure, it might be fun once in awhile, but most of the time youll never ever use them in serious shooting. and when you DO feel like using them, you can just play with the built-in flash

3) IR wireless modes- most of the time when you are setting up slave situations (home product/studio photog), you will have time to manually adjust so that your optical slave flash will not be blocked, so the IR isnt really useful except outdoor over long distance/ in discos where the strobe lights might accidentally trigger your optical slave. 1) will you take outdoor shots at night where you need another tripod for your slave flash? unlikely if you are beginner unless you like carrying around multiple camera bags in the dark 2) ppl dancing would knock over your flash tripod. and discos hardly exist anymore xD

3) wireless commander-- your d90, like my d80, should have built-in commander. only d3 like that then no built-in flash/ commander.

basically, just make sure you think over whether you need all those 'features' and whether you will use them at all/ whether your camera can use them. also note that the 'better' these flashes get, the huger they are. they are bulky and heavy. portability will also make it more attractive when you bring it overseas/ go on casual outings

instead, maybe the extra cash from buying a smaller flash (like a sb600 or di622) can be used to upgrade your body (oh you upgraded alr lol) or lenses or saved. hope this helps. cheers ^^
    Last edited by aprilmoon92; 6th January 2010 at 09:16 PM.

wow... in 2 weeks upgraded already.... wow....
    already wanted to upgrade since somewhere towards the end of last year, but bz wif work..

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmoon92 View Post
    waa this thread run so fast.

di622 slave functionality work with anything, as long as got flash. sb600 IR slave only respond to nikon commander flash (either built-in flash or sb800 or su800).

keep in mind though, the SB900/ di866 is HUGE. on your d90 body it will be overbalanced badly. on my friend's d300 and up then slightly better handling.

also keep in mind that if youre getting di866 or sb900 just cos the specs look good, you have to think whether you actually need those functions...
    1) super high GN-- are you gg to take huge group shots (and hence have to stand further away) at night with only the small flash? or telephoto (200mm) shots? (bear in mind most places where you might need to flash telephoto (concerts, performances, wildlife) DONT let you flash... if you dont have a specific use for the very high GN, its not very useful.

2) weird flash modes like strobe/etc which are supported by these external flashes-- sure, it might be fun once in awhile, but most of the time youll never ever use them in serious shooting. and when you DO feel like using them, you can just play with the built-in flash

3) IR wireless modes- most of the time when you are setting up slave situations (home product/studio photog), you will have time to manually adjust so that your optical slave flash will not be blocked, so the IR isnt really useful except outdoor over long distance/ in discos where the strobe lights might accidentally trigger your optical slave. 1) will you take outdoor shots at night where you need another tripod for your slave flash? unlikely if you are beginner unless you like carrying around multiple camera bags in the dark 2) ppl dancing would knock over your flash tripod. and discos hardly exist anymore xD

3) wireless commander-- your d90, like my d80, should have built-in commander. only d3 like that then no built-in flash/ commander.

basically, just make sure you think over whether you need all those 'features' and whether you will use them at all/ whether your camera can use them. also note that the 'better' these flashes get, the huger they are. they are bulky and heavy. portability will also make it more attractive when you bring it overseas/ go on casual outings

instead, maybe the extra cash from buying a smaller flash (like a sb600 or di622) can be used to upgrade your body (oh you upgraded alr lol) or lenses or saved. hope this helps. cheers ^^
    WAHHH!!!
    Very Chim...
    hehehehe...

but d90 & d300 not really much difference is size wise am i correct?? it's only abit wider i think..
    coz i actually got the privelege to actually mount the i866 on a d200 or 300 & test the flash few days back..
    reason y i like i866 rite now over the sb900 is cause the i866 has the sub-flash on it & it's the cost of a/an sb600 but the output of a sb900+more..
    Point noted, will consider all that you have input...
    never actually thot abt all that u hv pointed out...
    if only i had all the $$ in the world, haizzzzz....
    hahahahahaha

yeah agree with you on di866 vs sb900 though ^^ d300 is bigger, and 200g (or approx 1/3) heavier.

wrt sub flash, its basically the same as if you use a bounce card (which both di866 and sb900 and 466/622) have. (even if the flash dont have, take a rubberband and a white business card and taadaa have XD). the bounce card is aka a fill card cos when you bounce off the ceiling it will direct some of the light "straight" towards the subject. a secondary flash also does this, but can be harsh, cos its direct 'bare-bulb' light (which kinda defeats the purpose of diffusing through bouncing).

from my experience, a fill card is more useful (plus ppl will complain that they are blinded less), giving softer light. if you dont mind the extra bulk, a hardcap diffuser like stofen omnibounce or a lightsphere also allows you to bounce while still providing fill-flash-- these give much softer, nicer light.

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmoon92 View Post
    yeah agree with you on di866 vs sb900 though ^^ d300 is bigger, and 200g (or approx 1/3) heavier.

wrt sub flash, its basically the same as if you use a bounce card (which both di866 and sb900 and 466/622) have. (even if the flash dont have, take a rubberband and a white business card and taadaa have XD). the bounce card is aka a fill card cos when you bounce off the ceiling it will direct some of the light "straight" towards the subject. a secondary flash also does this, but can be harsh, cos its direct 'bare-bulb' light (which kinda defeats the purpose of diffusing through bouncing).

from my experience, a fill card is more useful (plus ppl will complain that they are blinded less), giving softer light. if you dont mind the extra bulk, a hardcap diffuser like stofen omnibounce or a lightsphere also allows you to bounce while still providing fill-flash-- these give much softer, nicer light.

Thanks for sharing the exp..
    with that said, the i662+whitecard+rubberband comes into the picture now, hehehehe...

Newei, abit out of topic..
    i was in the personal classified jst nw, wanted to reply to a seller's post, but cant seem to find the reply button anywhere...
    mind guiding me??

Di622 has built-in bounce card and diffuser panel. i only add on rubberband+card when i bouncing flash in portrait orientation, and i turn the flashhead to the right90^.

you cant reply in BnS section. only can PM or sms if they give contact number. you also cannot edit or delete any posts if you start a thread in BnS, this is so that ppl cannot cheat others and change their post (eg. "my thread said $510, not $500!" then go home change quickly).

Quote Originally Posted by curley-wurley View Post
    Hi all,

Im a nikon D40 user, for abt a year ++ already & now wana try using external flash..
    i know nikon has the following external flashes:-

1) SB400
    2) SB600
    3) SB800
    4) SB900

i think to start off with, the sb400 is limited in a great way if compared to the sb600 functions.
    So with the model SB600 & SB800, I think would be a great start for me & furthermore i'd be upgrading to a d90 soon.
    Has anyone checked the prices of the sb600 & sb800 or bought item recently?
    Hw much is a new set??
    How/what to check when buying 2nd hand flash??
    All inputs greatly appreciated.
    Thanks all

Have a nice day.

curley-wurley.
    :-)
    Hmmmm, your thread title should be "How to choose a second hand Nikon flash?"

In the first place the Nissin Di866 is actually in the same league as the SB900 ( It IS damn powerful i tell you coz i'm using it) and can't be compared to the SB600. As for SB800 it's discontinued already so pretty hard to find it in shops these days unless you wanna get a 2nd hand one from BNS.

I've been using it for a couple of months with my D90 and i'm really happy with the results i'm getting so i would suggest that you go for the Di866 plus it's much cheaper then getting a nikon speedlight and it does sync with the D90 as well so why not?
    Life is like Fotography, you can't develop without the NEGATIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    Hmmmm, your thread title should be "How to choose a second hand Nikon flash?"
    Cincai lar...
    "Hw to choose a second hand flash?" also can
    "Which Nikon Speedlite is good?" also can
    "Price for recent purchase of Nikon Speedlite also can?"

But i decided on "Newbie wana try using external flash" so i can rojak many diff qtn into it..

Quote Originally Posted by JT-Fotographia View Post
    In the first place the Nissin Di866 is actually in the same league as the SB900 ( It IS damn powerful i tell you coz i'm using it) and can't be compared to the SB600. As for SB800 it's discontinued already so pretty hard to find it in shops these days unless you wanna get a 2nd hand one from BNS.

I've been using it for a couple of months with my D90 and i'm really happy with the results i'm getting so i would suggest that you go for the Di866 plus it's much cheaper then getting a nikon speedlight and it does sync with the D90 as well so why not?

care to share ur exp using the i866 for the past couple of mnths?
    where did u get ur i866??
    for hw much?

Quote Originally Posted by curley-wurley View Post

care to share ur exp using the i866 for the past couple of mnths?
    where did u get ur i866??
    for hw much?
    It's a poweful flash i must say.. first time i tested it nearly went blind from thinking that it wouldn't be as powerful as a Nikon speedlight hahaha... love the LCD display screen which is pretty user friendly and straight forward, not too heavy and works well with my D90.

I got mine from red dot photo. Good service and friendly sellers. I bought mine from one of their guys called fisher. I definitely recommend this flash!
    Life is like Fotography, you can't develop without the NEGATIVE!

I not sure if I can ask this here but now I picking up macro shooting, planning to get a external flash enough for macro and night shooting, no need so much feature. Does the di622 fit into what I need? Like some gentle mention on above post, I'd rather save the money for a good macro lens.

Pls advice

Got myself the i866, YAY!!!
    Compared the i622 & i866 first hand, not really so much difference size wise & weight wise, so i went for the i866...
    Thanks to all for the kind inputs, learnt alot frm everyone..
    Very much appreciated..
    *bows bows*

Quote Originally Posted by VainKid View Post
    I not sure if I can ask this here but now I picking up macro shooting, planning to get a external flash enough for macro and night shooting, no need so much feature. Does the di622 fit into what I need? Like some gentle mention on above post, I'd rather save the money for a good macro lens.

Pls advice
    Im not 100% sure but i think for macro shots, ppl normally use ring flash..
    correct me if im wrong experienced gurus...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast