Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: what lens to get?

  1. #1

    Default what lens to get?

    i m tinking of replacing my 40D kit lens, what do u all recommand?

    50mm f1.8 ?

  2. #2
    Member driveanegg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    615

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    what might TS be lacking in the kit lens ??

  3. #3

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    duno, lol juz feel like 'investing' into a better lens hee hee hee =x

  4. #4
    Member driveanegg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    615

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    too many to recommend, cos each lens has its own function
    Do you want more wide angle, more range, more low light ability, red rubber ring ??
    Will you consider only canon lenses or will consider 3rd party manufacturers ??

    Canon has over 60+ lenses in their catalog u know ??
    gotta catch them all !!!!

  5. #5

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    oh ya true, lol cannot catch them all but

    main aim is to use for frens's events and dinners functions
    i tink i be looking @ canon.

    i also have a 70-225mm i tink (nt sure with the model)

  6. #6

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    guess u are looking at some general purpose catch-all type of lense, i guess lots of bros have said for a general purpose cropped sensor lense... it's gotta be the efs 18-55mm ...
    try it and tell us what u think...

  7. #7

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mascaporne View Post
    guess u are looking at some general purpose catch-all type of lense, i guess lots of bros have said for a general purpose cropped sensor lense... it's gotta be the efs 18-55mm ...
    try it and tell us what u think...
    okie! btw wat is the use of a cropped sensor lense? sorry newbie in this field =(~

  8. #8
    Member driveanegg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    615

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    EF-S -> cropped sensor
    EF -> full frame compatible
    40D is a so called crop camera, can use both EF-S and EF lenses
    Many threads in CS discussing this so have fun reading

    Friend's event and dinner functions likely to be indoors ya ?
    A lens with a larger max aperture (f1.4 - f1.8) or a external flash will be most helpful

  9. #9

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by driveanegg View Post
    EF-S -> cropped sensor
    EF -> full frame compatible
    40D is a so called crop camera, can use both EF-S and EF lenses
    Many threads in CS discussing this so have fun reading

    Friend's event and dinner functions likely to be indoors ya ?
    A lens with a larger max aperture (f1.4 - f1.8) or a external flash will be most helpful
    yea dinner functions indoor but sometimes have some outdoor events in the evening 6-8+

    yup have an external flash already,

  10. #10
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by novaflare View Post
    okie! btw wat is the use of a cropped sensor lense? sorry newbie in this field =(~
    Then it's time to read up before you even think about your wallet. As long as you don't know what you need and why you need it it's just wasting money. Make yourself familiar with the different types of lenses, specifications, features, behaviour on different sensor formats. Think about how you shoot (you can check the focal length in exif data).
    Even for dinner function everything from 10-20 to 7-200 is possible and usable - it all depends on your preferences and shooting style.
    EOS

  11. #11

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    Bro, you have a flash and a lens and a body. I think those really works with the event you mention. With kit lens, you still can take pictures at the functions. Do shoot alot 1st before buying lenses or extra equipment. And do read alot of photography books and lenses and that might narrow down your wants.

    cheers
    Shoot and shoot and shoot
    Every shoot is a puzzle to the world of photography...

  12. #12

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    keep the kit lens for rainy days.

    invest on a 50 f1.8 may be a nice move.

  13. #13

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by novaflare View Post
    duno, lol juz feel like 'investing' into a better lens hee hee hee =x
    No don't do investment in lens or camera gear

    There are many other better investment

    If you don't know what lens you want, chance is you don't need it

    Just shoot with your kit lens until you know its limitation to what you need, then get the lens to cover its limitation

  14. #14

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    IF ur'ew very good with the kit lens, try the 18-55mm IS USM f2.8. The best lest for cropped sensors..

    but if you plan to upgrade to full frame next time,
    28-75mm Tamrom F2.8 or if you got $$$ Canon 24-70mm USM f2.8L

    These are bread and butter lens for portraits and events!

  15. #15
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by SnapSniper View Post
    IF ur'ew very good with the kit lens, try the 18-55mm IS USM f2.8. The best lest for cropped sensors..
    It's the 17-55 .. exactly: EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM
    EOS

  16. #16

    Default Re: what lens to get?

    50mm f1.8 should be a good start

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •