Thread: Help! Sync problem between 300D and strobe

Default Help! Sync problem between 300D and strobe

I've a 300D + 3x Elinchrome 500 strobes
    problem is using the built in optical trigger sensor on the strobes n the pop up flash as the trigger the strobes fire too early n the shot comes out only with the pop up flash. Tried it with a speedlite 380ex, same results.

Works fine with a nikon F90 though. Trigger voltage for the strobes r 12V. Anyone has any idea if it's safe to use sync cords with the 300D and where i can get the hotshoe converter.

thanks in advance

Problem lies with the fact that your 300D uses ETTL, which has a pre-flash, and it triggers the optical trigger sensor.

All DSLR by canon uses ETTL if I am not wrong. For SLR, we switch to TTL to eliminate the pre-flash.

Try using 380EX as slave, should work.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by oaynuj
    I've a 300D + 3x Elinchrome 500 strobes
    problem is using the built in optical trigger sensor on the strobes n the pop up flash as the trigger the strobes fire too early n the shot comes out only with the pop up flash. Tried it with a speedlite 380ex, same results.

Works fine with a nikon F90 though. Trigger voltage for the strobes r 12V. Anyone has any idea if it's safe to use sync cords with the 300D and where i can get the hotshoe converter.

thanks in advance
    That is become of the high tech of flashes these days, like someone had mention above the flash fires a preflash which will trigger the stobes.
    See if your 300D can hav function of disabling the preflash (which might not!)
    Okie if it doesn't this are some option which you can do:
    1. try using rear sync flash (several nikon cam eliminate preflash when in rear sync mode, canon, i got no idea)
    2. get a cheap manual flash to put on your camera to trigger the stobes, those cheap slave flash will not have TTL capabilities (cost few tens of dollars)
    3. if you into more ex stuff, get the 550ex, set to manual and it should work fine also (i believe new canon flashes onli 550ex can be set to manual, correct me if i am wrong)
    4. If a sync cord to trigger the stobes.

ya, thats able all, hopw it will work for you.
    Btw: if you managed to get the stobes to work with your pop out flash, take note tat the flash should be "masked" or filter, so that it will not affect the overall lights setupz, well unless you had wanted the head on flash in the first place.

cheers.

ohhhhh
    damn preflash
    grrrrr haha~
    i was covering the the pop-up flash with some paper so din really see it. daaamn no wonder the strobes go off slightly b4 the popup
    thanks a million pple
    3x 500w flashes still underexposed i tot cam spoilt liao haha~

fixed it liao...yaay
    i feel dumb though haha~
    Thanx again pple

Found 2 methods:

1)taped up 2 contacts on the 300D to turn the 380EX into a fully manual unit (damn powerful, shall cover w cardboard)

2)use FEL with pop up flash, wait for strobes to recharge then shoot (annoying but works)

3) Switch to Nikon <me runs away>