Thread: D90 - a1AutoFocus Whats the fastest setup to compose pic?

Default D90 - a1AutoFocus Whats the fastest setup to compose pic?

Hi,

My friend Canon 500d actually has something superior over my D90 i felt, which i hope its because of my unfamiliarity with D90. As such i seek some constructive feedback on it.

Canon 500d can easily set the AF focus point as and when they need it.

But for me D90, i need to go manual and set to Single Point and move my direction pad to the preferred AF point.

Currently setting is -> AF-A and Wide Area. May i know what do you people prefer and what are the advantages?

I personally feel that -> AF-A and Singe Point seems to provide a faster method to focus on the picture.

^^ I seek your opinions and i came in peace with a doubt.

Default Re: D90 - a1AutoFocus Whats the fastest setup to compose pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Inverse View Post
    Hi,

My friend Canon 500d actually has something superior over my D90 i felt, which i hope its because of my unfamiliarity with D90. As such i seek some constructive feedback on it.

Canon 500d can easily set the AF focus point as and when they need it.

But for me D90, i need to go manual and set to Single Point and move my direction pad to the preferred AF point.

Currently setting is -> AF-A and Wide Area. May i know what do you people prefer and what are the advantages?

I personally feel that -> AF-A and Singe Point seems to provide a faster method to focus on the picture.

^^ I seek your opinions and i came in peace with a doubt.
    you should try posting to nikon section. reply might be faster

Check whether D90 has some custom functions that allow faster switching of AF points. I wouldn't call it 'superior' but rather a matter of personal taste and preference. Different interfaces have different ideas how to group / arrange functions in the camera.
    EOS

try AF-C mode.
    Why so serious... Son?

Quote Originally Posted by Wurdelak View Post
    try AF-C mode.
    this won't work... if for portraits the camera would allow shutter release even if the focus is not dead on...

TS: you can try 2 ways...

1. set your Custom Menu to include A1 at the top of the Custom Menu... like that you should be able to change with 3 right clicks and one OK clicks...

2. Change the function button setting... i sometimes change the Function Button to allow me to change AF mode fast... after the change is set, you can change AF mode with Function button pressed and turning the main dial... (you must be in AF mode to allow changes to this)

hope this helps...

you can assign the (func.) button to change your AF mode... Very convenient i must say. Actually D90 got more button then 500d so should have more shortcut key.

Quote Originally Posted by limkimseng2005 View Post
    you can assign the (func.) button to change your AF mode... Very convenient i must say. Actually D90 got more button then 500d so should have more shortcut key.
    Yup, that's what i do to

cannot say "superior" lahz.

every cam sure has their own pros & cons, esp when comparing models around same range.

it depends on personal perferences.

right now using 500D, true that the shifting of AF points comes in quite handy & fast when needed. Not sure about Nikon though. Should ask in the Nikon Sub forum.
    http://www.akkuaphotography.com

i change my function (fn) button to this selection

Very much and good advise i gotten, Hi Jarvis tried your method and i believe the most efficient way is to customize it! I will try and post my outcome.