Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Save otters from dog menace

Default Re: Save otters from dog menace

Merry Christmas People and Happy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    There are two species of Otters that are native in Singapore.

Smooth Otter and Oriental small-clawed Otter.

Those show in the above link are Smooth Otter.
    Thanks for the info! Interesting!

I've yet to see one in the wild & will plan to go SBWR one of the days to look for them.

Hi folks,
    Let me speak as a volunteer of SBWR, We have looked and continue to explore all options to ensure that the visitors' experience at Sungei Buloh will be a safe and pleasantly memorable one. We take all ideas and formulate appropriate pro active action to make Sungei Buloh a better wetland nature reserve for people and for the biodiversity.
    For the stray dog issue, resolving it is our responsibility and while we have had some success through the use of dog traps, the wetland boundaries are porous and a number of stray dogs continue to thrive externally and around the wetland.
    So folks, please understand that stray dogs are not parts of the nature reserve and it will upset the eco system of the nature reserve.
    David Low Nikon D2X / D70 w 28mm-70mm/70mm-300mm/120mm-400mm
    My Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by lowdavid View Post
    Hi folks,
    Let me speak as a volunteer of SBWR, We have looked and continue to explore all options to ensure that the visitors' experience at Sungei Buloh will be a safe and pleasantly memorable one. We take all ideas and formulate appropriate pro active action to make Sungei Buloh a better wetland nature reserve for people and for the biodiversity.
    For the stray dog issue, resolving it is our responsibility and while we have had some success through the use of dog traps, the wetland boundaries are porous and a number of stray dogs continue to thrive externally and around the wetland.
    So folks, please understand that stray dogs are not parts of the nature reserve and it will upset the eco system of the nature reserve.
    Wow a volunteer......you must be a nature lover and into nature photography. Wish you success and Merry Christmas!

Merry christmas to all, dogs and otters as well. Hope alls well, ends well. lol sounds like that drink!

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Make no mistake, I'm all for resettling or neutering the dogs but culling them as the article suggested is taking things too far.
    But isn't that what the author asked for?

"I urge the authorities to use tranquilliser shots to move the dogs to another location where they will not threaten other wildlife and visitors to the nature reserve."

Quote Originally Posted by goering View Post
    But isn't that what the author asked for?

"I urge the authorities to use tranquilliser shots to move the dogs to another location where they will not threaten other wildlife and visitors to the nature reserve."
    Well, I can understand how you feel for the poor dogs, but firstly, the dogs are going about everywhere in the reserve chasing the wildlife like water monitor lizard, otters and the shore birds. This will cause the drop of wildlife staying in SBWR. And, the bird count in SBWR shows that there are a drop of birds coming back to Singapore due to human traffic and stray dogs. Then, stray dogs might carry disease that may spread once they bitten someone. Hope you will understand our intention to protect the wildlife and park users.
    No matter what, NPark will always put conservation in the first place in SBWR.
    My Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post

Kawaii...!!!
    The otters want to play with the doggies.
    Frankly, I've not seen such a scene..

it's the food chain,if you haven't read up your science,one part gets screwed up,the whole population gets screwed up,so what if you were the dog?If they took away otter from your food chain,what would you feel?It's all mother nature

Quote Originally Posted by lowdavid View Post
    Hi folks,
    sorry why would they leave the decisions and responsibility to a volunteer of SBWR?

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    sorry why would they leave the decisions and responsibility to a volunteer of SBWR?
    the civil servants exist to serve u, not the dogs, not the otters.

As long as people don't litter the canals and river and poking at otters, it is already doing the wildlife a favour. Leave the stray hunting to the experts.

Nature has its own way. See how the white cranes are getting themselves comfy in the estate fields and sunbirds singing mere feets away from people, it is a sign that animals can adapt too.

The point is human is more afraid of wild animals become urbanized since they are stronger and ferocious than us.

Quote Originally Posted by kuanwk View Post
    the civil servants exist to serve u, not the dogs, not the otters.
    what i meant is should such responsibilities be entrusted to volunteers as opposed to setting up a proper wildlife committee.
    Last edited by pokiemon; 5th January 2010 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    We as a volunteer of SBWR. Our duties is to educate and advise the public on the important of the conservation of wildlife in SBWR. But, sorry to say that stray dogs are not part of wildlife in SBWR. Unless, they are wolf or fox. Our main point is to protect the reserve and the wildlife which is native and endanger or rare in SBWR. We do feel sorry for the stray dogs too, but trap them and sent them to AVA is our last resort.
    Then do think back, do you still want to have a chance to do photography for bird, otter, wild boar etc... If your answer is yes, then we have to keep the eco system balance.
    Npark biodiversity's staff is trained, so we know what should be there and what is not.
    My Portfolio

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123