Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Kit Lens + Filter + Step Down Ring

  1. #1
    Member szewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    63

    Default Kit Lens + Filter + Step Down Ring

    I'm currently using 18-55mm Kit Lens with Canon EOS 500D.
    I'm thinking of buying a 58mm HOYA CPL filter to shoot better scenery photos. My friend told me I should get a 72mm filter instead + a step down ring (I forgot what range).
    I'm not sure about this step down ring. Can you guys help me in this?? Is this a better option??
    thanks in advance!!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Kit Lens + Filter + Step Down Ring

    You need a step-up ring, not step-down, if you are going to use it with a 72mm filter.

    Your friend recommended that probably because you will not have to get extra filters when you get new lens etc.

    Better wide-angle lenses tend to have bigger filter threads. I don't know why he said 72mm, but I would get 77mm if I were to follow his system.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Kit Lens + Filter + Step Down Ring

    Getting a bigger filter and using a step-UP ring gives you more flexibility/lower cost as you don't have to buy several filters.

    Depending on exactly what kind of filter you're using, most of the time the amount of possible image degradation is negligible.

    One other thing to look out for is possible vignetting at the wider end of the zoom range.

    Agree with espnx - for the Canon range - get a 77mm filter instead of 72mm. However, if you say get 10 different filters, all in 77mm, it's going to cost a bomb and be heavy to carry around. Cost effectiveness can only be calculated by the number of filters against ho often you use those filters on BOTH a small filter diameter lens and a large filter diameter lens.

    Personally, I would very carefully select and go for the 77mm+step-up ring combination for filters I am very sure I will often use on various lenses.

    All the best and Merry Christmas.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 22nd December 2009 at 03:14 PM.

  4. #4
    Member szewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Kit Lens + Filter + Step Down Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    You need a step-up ring, not step-down, if you are going to use it with a 72mm filter.

    Your friend recommended that probably because you will not have to get extra filters when you get new lens etc.

    Better wide-angle lenses tend to have bigger filter threads. I don't know why he said 72mm, but I would get 77mm if I were to follow his system.
    My friend said 77m, not 72... it's my mistake... ^^
    N yes, it's to help me save money when i get more lens... ^^

  5. #5
    Member szewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Kit Lens + Filter + Step Down Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Getting a bigger filter and using a step-UP ring gives you more flexibility/lower cost as you don't have to buy several filters.

    Depending on exactly what kind of filter you're using, most of the time the amount of possible image degradation is negligible.

    One other thing to look out for is possible vignetting at the wider end of the zoom range.

    Agree with espnx - for the Canon range - get a 77mm filter instead of 72mm. However, if you say get 10 different filters, all in 77mm, it's going to cost a bomb and be heavy to carry around. Cost effectiveness can only be calculated by the number of filters against ho often you use those filters on BOTH a small filter diameter lens and a large filter diameter lens.

    Personally, I would very carefully select and go for the 77mm+step-up ring combination for filters I am very sure I will often use on various lenses.

    All the best and Merry Christmas.
    I own this KIT LENS only atm n is thinking of getting the 50mm f1.8...
    I guess I'll just have to think more carefully b4 I go down n get one... ^^

  6. #6

    Default Re: Kit Lens + Filter + Step Down Ring

    77mm filters - usually used on the big L lenses.

    If you're just getting a 50mm 1.8, and perhaps one longer lens later on like an EF-S tele zoom, perhaps you might not have to go the 77mm+step-up filter routs.

    Also, try to determine exactly WHAT kind of filters you need or might need in the near future.

    Think carefully first, because buying 77mm filters will be very expensive as compared to 52 or 58mm filters.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Kit Lens + Filter + Step Down Ring

    After you get the wide-angle lens that you want (if you still want one anyways), you might find yourself using a CPL filter which fits properly without any step-up/down rings. That's not a problem.

    BUT. Using a 77mm filter on your 18-55 sounds ridiculous to me as the filter is too big. Sure, I don't expect vignetting but you will not be able to mount the hood (if you have one) and I find it cumblesome.

  8. #8
    Member szewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Kit Lens + Filter + Step Down Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    77mm filters - usually used on the big L lenses.

    If you're just getting a 50mm 1.8, and perhaps one longer lens later on like an EF-S tele zoom, perhaps you might not have to go the 77mm+step-up filter routs.

    Also, try to determine exactly WHAT kind of filters you need or might need in the near future.

    Think carefully first, because buying 77mm filters will be very expensive as compared to 52 or 58mm filters.
    The only lens I'm gonna get in the future... most probably after I settle my bill for this body + kit lens... will be a wide angle lens... that's it!!
    Just hope that my hands don't get itchy n buy in more n more lens that I can afford...

  9. #9
    Member szewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Kit Lens + Filter + Step Down Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    77mm filters - usually used on the big L lenses.

    If you're just getting a 50mm 1.8, and perhaps one longer lens later on like an EF-S tele zoom, perhaps you might not have to go the 77mm+step-up filter routs.

    Also, try to determine exactly WHAT kind of filters you need or might need in the near future.

    Think carefully first, because buying 77mm filters will be very expensive as compared to 52 or 58mm filters.
    Good advice... better not get the filter just yet... ^^

  10. #10
    Member szewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Kit Lens + Filter + Step Down Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    After you get the wide-angle lens that you want (if you still want one anyways), you might find yourself using a CPL filter which fits properly without any step-up/down rings. That's not a problem.

    BUT. Using a 77mm filter on your 18-55 sounds ridiculous to me as the filter is too big. Sure, I don't expect vignetting but you will not be able to mount the hood (if you have one) and I find it cumblesome.
    hood problem... hmm... y i havn't think of that...?? mayb n'coz I dont own a hood... haha
    thanks!!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Kit Lens + Filter + Step Down Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by szewen View Post
    The only lens I'm gonna get in the future... most probably after I settle my bill for this body + kit lens... will be a wide angle lens... that's it!!
    Just hope that my hands don't get itchy n buy in more n more lens that I can afford...
    I'm sure some part of you inside realizes this is not true as soon as you said it

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •