Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Tripod & Portrait Photography

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    668

    Default Tripod & Portrait Photography

    Last week I was at the esplanade and I saw a couple having the pre wedding photoshoot. The photography was using a tripod as its getting dark.

    My question is, how is he going to focus on the eyes or anywhere he want if his camera is on the tripod. I think its kinda hard to focus and then recompose when the camera is on the tripod since it does not have so much flexibility.

    Can someone give me some insights into it? shooting with smaller aperture? so that the entire face/body/eyes will be sharp? From what I saw that day, the photography was shooting real fast and i dont think he is focusing on the eyes. Thank you

  2. #2
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: Tripod & Portrait Photography

    A camera with a ball head on a tripod is pretty flexible to me.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kiasu Nation
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Tripod & Portrait Photography

    hmm selecting the AF points to where it is needed?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Tripod & Portrait Photography

    rule of thumb is to focus on the eyes for portrait so that if you have a shallow DOF your picture is safe.

    however this doesn't apply in all situations. if i am focusing to infinity, i can focus on any part of the body and i know my sujects will still be sharp. so you can use a trippod. but yes, using a tripod is cumbersome and slows me down.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Tripod & Portrait Photography

    Just switch AF points to the eye, or focus manually.

    Wedding couples on a shoot do not usually dance and run around. Managing camera angles and adjustments on a tripod should be fast and easy to do, even with a 3-way head. If it's slow and clumsy, either the set-up is not optimal, or the operator needs to find a better way to maneuver the set-up/get more familiar with the set-ups.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Tripod & Portrait Photography

    Using a tripod as difficult as you think. Try and shoot with it you will understand. But i do know people using tripod to shoot for emotion effects which usually uses a long exposure.


    Quote Originally Posted by byteyou View Post
    Last week I was at the esplanade and I saw a couple having the pre wedding photoshoot. The photography was using a tripod as its getting dark.

    My question is, how is he going to focus on the eyes or anywhere he want if his camera is on the tripod. I think its kinda hard to focus and then recompose when the camera is on the tripod since it does not have so much flexibility.

    Can someone give me some insights into it? shooting with smaller aperture? so that the entire face/body/eyes will be sharp? From what I saw that day, the photography was shooting real fast and i dont think he is focusing on the eyes. Thank you
    D300/700/3S|14-24|24-70|70-200|17-55|16|14|24PC|28|50|85|105M|135DC|500|18-200|24-120|200-400|T11-16

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    668

    Default Re: Tripod & Portrait Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    A camera with a ball head on a tripod is pretty flexible to me.
    Hi there, so by making use of the ballhead, you would focus first and recompose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Just switch AF points to the eye, or focus manually.

    Wedding couples on a shoot do not usually dance and run around. Managing camera angles and adjustments on a tripod should be fast and easy to do, even with a 3-way head. If it's slow and clumsy, either the set-up is not optimal, or the operator needs to find a better way to maneuver the set-up/get more familiar with the set-ups.
    hmm i thought of switching AF points but wondering if there might be times when where after you compose your picture, no AF point falls nicely onto the eyes.


    To all, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Tripod & Portrait Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by byteyou View Post
    Hi there, so by making use of the ballhead, you would focus first and recompose?



    hmm i thought of switching AF points but wondering if there might be times when where after you compose your picture, no AF point falls nicely onto the eyes.


    To all, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.
    Bods with lesser points, yes, may be a problem.

    Focus, lock and recompose only works at distances greater than 15 feet, due to parallax error at shorter distances.

    Last resort, use a magnifier and focus manually.

    Basically, have to find a way to make it work.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Tripod & Portrait Photography

    theres always a way. like: ask your model to move.

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Tripod & Portrait Photography

    use tripod for portrait, slow but will get more better and usable shots. anyway, that also depend on what type of portrait you are doing.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: Tripod & Portrait Photography

    The last time I remember using a tripod for portrait shooting was when I was doing a indoor studio product shoot.

  12. #12
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: Tripod & Portrait Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by byteyou View Post
    Hi there, so by making use of the ballhead, you would focus first and recompose?
    For me, with lenses that are at f/1.2 or 1.4, I can't afford to recompose. If I can't get one of the AF points to fall on the subject, I just crop afterward. It is not worth the time to try to make fine adjustment and miss the right moment.

    After all, that is what 21mp is for...
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  13. #13

    Default Re: Tripod & Portrait Photography

    1. Ball head is useful
    2. for those high end cam they have 51 focus point. easy to choose
    Bokelicious Photography : www.bokelicious.net --- Facebook.com/bokelicious

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •