Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what lens to use on wedding or dinners in hotels

Default Re: what lens to use on wedding or dinners in hotels

Quote Originally Posted by JT-Fotographia View Post
    IMO, your 18-200 and 35mm should be enuff. You mentioned you going to be shooting from the table to the stage? So I'm assuming that you are just a guest and not like the secondary photog or something yah? If tht's the case, better not use your flash.... my affect the main photog... i encountered something like this before... one of the guest brought her dslr together with external flash and whenever it fired it affected some of my shots.... really annoying...

Just push yr iso up then shouldn't be a prob.
    i understand how it felt.
    its getting harder to carry out a job by sharing limited time with eager family members hoping to get a few keeper shots in a wedding. do keep in mind that the bride n groom had engage a pg just so all the family members could rekindle the moments by looking thru the pictures taken by a paid pg. do consider the timing arrangements made by the couple n pg.

A common scene that will eventually take place on every wedding - A PG will take 5-10 seconds to focus and capture a group table shot. A few family members will pass the main pg their pns ( range from 3 to 5) a table to have their picture taken taken by their own camera. 1 or 2 members of the family/very close friends will have a dslr with flash following the pg/wedding couple ard and time taken to shoot varies on the level of experience he or she has. Now multiply that to say 30 tables and it will effect the couple n PG timings. its a wonderful experience to be able to capture those precious moments. Sometimes a red packet would do just fine.
    Man greatest tool. The imaginative mind.

After 5 years of working in 5 star hotel banquet, seeing wedding dinner everyday, the most lens i see is 24-70mm F2.8, those pros will carry a nikkor, those non-pro will have at least sigma 24-70. And most of pro will have another set of cam with 85mm F1.8.
    Bokelicious Photography : www.bokelicious.net --- Facebook.com/bokelicious

Quote Originally Posted by shelomoh View Post
    35mm f1.8 might not be fast enough. FYI. Flash is a must. Unless your body is D700 or D3(/x/s) that has good noise control at high ISO.

Are you the guest? Not the main photographer right? Using flash might 'affect' his/her work. If you are just taking your table, should be ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin View Post
    If f/1.8 is not fast enough then what is?
    i think what he meant was that the 1.8 might still not be fast enough to be used without the external flash. Which is definitely a possibility. Some places like to have 'mood' lighting.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Painting with light
    i understand how it felt.
    its getting harder to carry out a job by sharing limited time with eager family members hoping to get a few keeper shots in a wedding. do keep in mind that the bride n groom had engage a pg just so all the family members could rekindle the moments by looking thru the pictures taken by a paid pg. do consider the timing arrangements made by the couple n pg.

A common scene that will eventually take place on every wedding - A PG will take 5-10 seconds to focus and capture a group table shot. A few family members will pass the main pg their pns ( range from 3 to 5) a table to have their picture taken taken by their own camera. 1 or 2 members of the family/very close friends will have a dslr with flash following the pg/wedding couple ard and time taken to shoot varies on the level of experience he or she has. Now multiply that to say 30 tables and it will effect the couple n PG timings. its a wonderful experience to be able to capture those precious moments. Sometimes a red packet would do just fine.
    I never thought of it that way.
    I suppose as more and more people own DSLRs or high-end cameras, they'll want a piece of the action at events like weddings, etc.
    I usually stay away from the main photog if I'm attending a wedding. No point repeating his shots. Might as well just get it from the wedding couple
    I'll usually shoot candids, or people at my table.
    Exploring! :)

If it's my choice, I will stick to 18-200mm lens with a external flash unit.
    During weddings or dinners, what matter most are the subjects. With that lens you can have wide-angle and also close-up shots.

Quote Originally Posted by jackzhangxiao View Post
    After 5 years of working in 5 star hotel banquet, seeing wedding dinner everyday, the most lens i see is 24-70mm F2.8, those pros will carry a nikkor, those non-pro will have at least sigma 24-70. And most of pro will have another set of cam with 85mm F1.8.
    And they use flash to get great DOF, therefore the fast lens is also no use.

Good wedding photographer has to master the fill-flash indoor plus creating good white balance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12