Thread: Cable Car Sunset

Default Cable Car Sunset

I took this picture while on a cable car in HK. I really liked the sunset illuminating the cable cars from the back and the leading lines created by the cables. I had problems with the exposure because the sun was still quite high up leading to over exposure on part of the cables and towers but it was the best I could make of the situation given my (lack of) skill and the ride being too long to take another trip down.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    I added vignetting in Lightroom to help draw attention to the cable cars - not sure if its overdone. I can't figure out a good way to crop the picture, if I remove the mountains, the picture becomes very empty with the sky dominating the picture, if I remove some of the top then the leading lines effect is lost. Should I leave the picture as it is? Please suggest how I can improve the composition.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I simply wanted to capture the moment.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I was sitting in a moving cable car, looking out of an open window. Hands were propped against the window for stability but movement caused by the cable car was inevitable.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like the other worldy "UFO" feel that the cable cars bring to the picture.
    Last edited by sabee; 22nd December 2009 at 12:02 AM.

Default Re: Cable Car Sunset

i kinda like the composition but it is underexposed cos you are shooting against the sun leaving too much dark space. i will zoom in more on the cable.

think its a bit too early
    Nikon.
    Nuff said.

seems like a good enough picture to me

in my opinion, however, think there's a little too much sky.
    try cropping out about 10% of the width from the top.

Thanks for the input guys, hope to hear more, I'll try cropping the top only as well.

hdr would be cool

Blog Entries

I thought the exposures were not controlled well because the picture is shot into the sun. A little later and this would turn out much better.

For pictures like this, where the sky is blown and the foreground is way underexposed, you need to do some serious dodge and burn here to pull back the blown highlights and boost up the underexposed areas.

Waiting for the sun to set a bit more would have been better.

Also as someone mentioned, zooming in would help isolate the cars and perhaps better achieve the ufo effect you were looking for.

Red and Orange .. warm colours are typical for sunsets. Where are they here? What indicates the sunset?
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Red and Orange .. warm colours are typical for sunsets. Where are they here? What indicates the sunset?
    Thanks for your valuable feedback.

I do not wish to be constrained by traditional concepts of what a sunset is, the feel I was looking for was an other-worldly one thus I do not think that warms colours are suitable But I understand where you are coming from.

sabee, just for information's sake, this isn't a sunset

sunset happens at the timing when the sun dips below the horizon. right now the sun seems to be as high as the mountain, i suspect it is near sunset, but not sunset.

that aside, i find it hard to shoot anything to do with cable cars on the cable car itself, if you get what i mean. you will generally end up with cluttered, messy lines due to the nature of how cable car cables are laid out. and this scene here is no exception from what i have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    sabee, just for information's sake, this isn't a sunset

sunset happens at the timing when the sun dips below the horizon. right now the sun seems to be as high as the mountain, i suspect it is near sunset, but not sunset.

that aside, i find it hard to shoot anything to do with cable cars on the cable car itself, if you get what i mean. you will generally end up with cluttered, messy lines due to the nature of how cable car cables are laid out. and this scene here is no exception from what i have mentioned.
    Thanks for your feedback, I agree sunset is probably not the best term to use here. More like sun hiding behind the mountain

nothing wrong with the pic.. the shot was taken late.. it could be more interesting if you have taken it earlier when the sun is just rising from the hill. retro effect can create an interesting mood and will more drame. put a bit of noise also and dont forget.