Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you notice the different slinging a DSLR walking into a shop?

Default Do you notice the different slinging a DSLR walking into a shop?

Hi,

Just want to know that did you guys ever have been in my situation?

Whenever i walk into a shop hanging my DSLR, the shop personnel will be very enthusiastic and start chatting with me. Its good but find it awkward, since i am not buying anything just window shopping.

Default Re: Do you notice the different slinging a DSLR walking into a shop?

Because they think you're a tourist.
    Alpha

i....agreed...hahahah
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

It is just not cool to sling a camera into a camera shop. It is like sending a signal, I am a nerd, chop this carrot.

Quote Originally Posted by Inverse View Post
    Hi,

Just want to know that did you guys ever have been in my situation?

Whenever i walk into a shop hanging my DSLR, the shop personnel will be very enthusiastic and start chatting with me. Its good but find it awkward, since i am not buying anything just window shopping.
    Oh... what shop? My dslr attract security guard liao

Apologies i place in the wrong thread, thanks for shifting as i am new to this. Okay i try to look more local next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Inverse View Post
    Do you notice the different slinging a DSLR walking into a shop?
    I think I'll get more attention slinging a handbag.

Depends on what kind of shop you are walking into
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Walking into the Victoria Secret shop?
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Walking into the Victoria Secret shop?
    Singapore got Victoria's Secret shop?

Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    Singapore got Victoria's Secret shop?
    ask him to show you the way.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    It is just not cool to sling a camera into a camera shop. It is like sending a signal, I am a nerd, chop this carrot.
    +1, sad but true, LOL!!!

Put yourself in the salesman's shoes. It's highly unlikely a working pro will leisurely walk into a shop with his DSLR slinging around his neck.

So, the salesman will reason, it's either a tourist (will find out in a few short seconds once you open your mouth), or as the other poster said, a nerd just fresh into the DSLR fad. Either way, the salesman already has one hand firmly on the grip of the chopping knife!

...and wearing a thumbdrive on a lanyard around your neck is sure to invite insurance and credit line salespeople towards you, no matter what else you're wearing.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    ...and wearing a thumbdrive on a lanyard around your neck is sure to invite insurance and credit line salespeople towards you, no matter what else you're wearing.
    Wearing a short skirt is sure to invite photographers to come ask you to do TFCD.

Haha, then where what to attract pretty girls to you LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    +1, sad but true, LOL!!!

Put yourself in the salesman's shoes. It's highly unlikely a working pro will leisurely walk into a shop with his DSLR slinging around his neck.

So, the salesman will reason, it's either a tourist (will find out in a few short seconds once you open your mouth), or as the other poster said, a nerd just fresh into the DSLR fad. Either way, the salesman already has one hand firmly on the grip of the chopping knife!

Why are you guys so ashamed of slinging on your camera & think that you are sending a signal n saying you are a nerd & get chop? There are those who walk in without slinging on a camera also looks like nerds & also get chop like carrot. If you are afraid of that, next time sling a chopper & walk in & demand your price
    Take the shot!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    +1, sad but true, LOL!!!

Why are you guys so ashamed of slinging on your camera & think that you are sending a signal n saying you are a nerd & get chop? There are those who walk in without slinging on a camera also looks like nerds & also get chop like carrot. If you are afraid of that, next time sling a chopper & walk in & demand your price
    based on my own personal experience, going in urself to ANY shop. be it ms color, cathay photo and other companies, u sure tio chop.

last time i request online equote from a certain shop, the price offer i got was abt 2.6-2.8k.

when i dragged in my dad's buddy who is a pro photographer and he is those old birds who go to tat shop loads of time liao, my price paid dropped till 2.2-2.4. its a big difference.

lesson learnt? next time wanna buy camera best is pull laojiao go with u. u will never get chopped. going alone is tantamount to suicide.

Wearing a short skirt is sure to invite photographers to come ask you to do TFCD.
    Haha I like this

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    based on my own personal experience, going in urself to ANY shop. be it ms color, cathay photo and other companies, u sure tio chop.

last time i request online equote from a certain shop, the price offer i got was abt 2.6-2.8k.

when i dragged in my dad's buddy who is a pro photographer and he is those old birds who go to tat shop loads of time liao, my price paid dropped till 2.2-2.4. its a big difference.

lesson learnt? next time wanna buy camera best is pull laojiao go with u. u will never get chopped. going alone is tantamount to suicide.
    Before you go buy your stuffs, do your homework 1st. If you know the price is around there, at least you still can bargain a little more & you won't get chop immediately. Rather than running all over the place, that already takes up your time & transportation cost. What if you don't know any 'laojiao'? Then no need to buy? So in order not to get chop, byo chopper.
    Take the shot!

Hmm the truth comes out, Sion's working in William Street after dark, or is that Geylang these days?
    Last edited by Ian; 21st December 2009 at 08:55 PM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast